Glock Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,445 Posts
I bought a Beretta 92FS a while back due to the slide lock being plenty large enough (not the only reason though, I love my Beretta). One hesitation I had on purchasing the Glock was the very slim slide lock. That was before I knew there was an extended one. So, I bought a G19 knowing I could get one.

I have to say though since having this gun and racking the slide and locking it over and over and over, I don't even need the extended one. It has become second-nature to me now, just like with my Beretta. I think you would probably agree if you practiced it a while. My trigger finger is in perfect position to push up on the lock with my knuckle. Perfect position because I rack the slide with my right hand by holding onto the front portion of the slide. Now, if you have long fingers, you may have difficulty with this move. For me though, after I rotate the gun slightly to the right (which rotates the grip in my hand slightly), my knuckle of my trigger finger lies perfectly on the slide lock.

To release the slide, I usually just pull back and release, however, if I want to press the lock (or in this case, the release) I just reach up with my trigger finger and push down on it. I will probably still get the extended one just because it's such an easy and inexpensive upgrade but I don't know if I will leave it on the gun or not. It depends on whether it will hang up on my White Hat holster I just ordered. The slide lock will be to the outside, towards the Kydex since I'm left-handed instead of towards the leather for a right-hander. White Hat assured me it won't be an issue. The bottom line is: after becoming familiar with the gun, I don't need it.

You say "I admit, I'm a lefty" like that's a bad thing :)

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,445 Posts
I'm a lefty, I actually lightly sand off the sharp edges of the stock mag release and it works perfectly for me. The extended slide release on the other hand is a must have!
I saw a video where someone had sanded down the mag release on the Gen 3. I thought it looked fine and it's good to know. Since seeing that and reading your post, I wouldn't be afraid to purchase one in the future. The way the mag release comes stock on the Gen3, wore my finger out though! Even though I have the option of reversing it on the Gen4 and on my Beretta, I still like it on the left side. Seems more natural for me to press it with my trigger finger than my thumb. I don't know about you but, being a west-paw, I have all kinds of quirky little ways like that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.