Lefty shooting questions

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by geeteeohh, Apr 4, 2012.

1. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

I admit. I'm a lefty. My question for other lefties out there is what do you think of the extended slide release? Does it help in releasing the slide with your index finger? Or have you found another way to release the slide.

So far I seem to be pretty awkward in this area, switching the gun from left to right back to left.

2. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

I'm not a lefty. But you can release the slide without using the slide release. If the slide locks back after your last shot, after you reload, pull back the slide with your right hand, to release the lock, then let go.. :)

3. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Ya, I could never get the hang of the slide release, thats an advantage S&W M&Ps have over the Glocks for lefties.

4. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

I bought a Beretta 92FS a while back due to the slide lock being plenty large enough (not the only reason though, I love my Beretta). One hesitation I had on purchasing the Glock was the very slim slide lock. That was before I knew there was an extended one. So, I bought a G19 knowing I could get one.

I have to say though since having this gun and racking the slide and locking it over and over and over, I don't even need the extended one. It has become second-nature to me now, just like with my Beretta. I think you would probably agree if you practiced it a while. My trigger finger is in perfect position to push up on the lock with my knuckle. Perfect position because I rack the slide with my right hand by holding onto the front portion of the slide. Now, if you have long fingers, you may have difficulty with this move. For me though, after I rotate the gun slightly to the right (which rotates the grip in my hand slightly), my knuckle of my trigger finger lies perfectly on the slide lock.

To release the slide, I usually just pull back and release, however, if I want to press the lock (or in this case, the release) I just reach up with my trigger finger and push down on it. I will probably still get the extended one just because it's such an easy and inexpensive upgrade but I don't know if I will leave it on the gun or not. It depends on whether it will hang up on my White Hat holster I just ordered. The slide lock will be to the outside, towards the Kydex since I'm left-handed instead of towards the leather for a right-hander. White Hat assured me it won't be an issue. The bottom line is: after becoming familiar with the gun, I don't need it.

You say "I admit, I'm a lefty" like that's a bad thing :)

5. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

Being a lefty is not a bad thing most times :). Thanks for the info. I'll just have to practice some more, and fall back with an extended
    Slide release if necessary.

6. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

There is no such thing as a "slide release" on a Glock. There's a Slide Stop Lever. You should never use the Slide Stop Lever as a "slide release". Really bad habit. Bad for you and bad for the gun. I'm a southpaw as well and I love the Extended Slide Stop Lever to help me when I need to lock the slide to the rear with my index finger.

7. silver04v

silver04v New Member

your saying if you have an open slide, put a mag in, you shouldn't use the slide stop to send the slide forward? Why would that be bad for the gun? I'm thinking that's what your saying?

8. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

Brownells calls it a slide release, Midway calls it a slide stop release, now wonder I'm confused! The Glock exploded parts list correctly refers to it as a "Slide Stop Lever".

I too am curious why the slide stop should not be used to release the slide.

9. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

Argyle, did you get the extended slide stop because you are a southpaw and it helped a lot? I see some guys on YouTube that have the original stop. Thanks for the help.

10. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Slide Stop Levers require fine motor skills. When the SHTF your fine motor skills go out the window. With adrenaline pumping you try to use that Slide Stop Lever to release the slide. It won't happen. Also, repetitive motion there will wear away at the slide where the Slid Stop Lever needs to connect. When that wearing takes place you'll need a new slide.

11. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

The Extended Slide Stop helps me as a southpaw for more contact area and a more secure feeling when locking the slide to the rear. It definitely helps when using my index finger.

12. fls348

fls348 New Member

I'm a lefty, I actually lightly sand off the sharp edges of the stock mag release and it works perfectly for me. The extended slide release on the other hand is a must have!

13. fls348

fls348 New Member

Technically you are correct; That being said I have a 1994 G19 that has upwards around 20,000 rds or better on it that 75% or better of the time I drop the slide with the slide stop. I've yet to have a problem and have yet to break anything.

Yes they tell us that during an armory class but I think it more of a 'legality issue' more so than anything. 20,000 rounds and around 12,000 to 15,000 slide drops with the slide stop and it's still to this day my off duty carry.

14. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

I saw a video where someone had sanded down the mag release on the Gen 3. I thought it looked fine and it's good to know. Since seeing that and reading your post, I wouldn't be afraid to purchase one in the future. The way the mag release comes stock on the Gen3, wore my finger out though! Even though I have the option of reversing it on the Gen4 and on my Beretta, I still like it on the left side. Seems more natural for me to press it with my trigger finger than my thumb. I don't know about you but, being a west-paw, I have all kinds of quirky little ways like that.

15. Flairsr

Flairsr New Member

Yeah, I'm a lefty and have been trained to operate all firearms set up in the right handed configuration. I bought a Beretta LEO trade in once and it must have belonged to a lefty cause that had the mag release reversed. I had to switch it back to right handed configuration. It felt so foreign.

16. fls348

fls348 New Member

Yup, I couldn't agree more. We tend to find unique ways of adapting in a righty world.

I write left
    I shoot pistols left
    I golf right
    I hit a baseball right or left
    I shoot rifles left
    I shoot by bow right

Tell me I'm not ass backwards most of the time........

17. las4wo

las4wo New Member

I'm a lefty shooter and I have trouble using the slide release. The state agency I work for trains us on the g22. During our training, the instructors made it a habit for us to release the slide by pulling the slide back. To help with muscle memory and stressful situations.

18. Yes that is what he is saying. The Tenifer finish will wear a groove in the "slide stop", if used as a release. Then it wont lock open at all, requiring you to install a new "slide stop". I know this because I had to change one for this reason. Use the slide to return to battery, not the slide stop. Unless you want to change the slide stop every so often.

19. PC5623

PC5623 New Member

I am a lefty as well and did not like the factory slide stop lever. I changed it out to the extended version and there is not really much difference. I have since been pulling back and releasing the slide. In this instance, I have had a rather easy transition. I have noticed some at the local public range when pulling and releasing the slide have lost focus on keeping the muzzle pointed down range! Practice, practice you'll have not trouble at all.

20. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

This is the proper way to drop the slide into battery. You can either "sling shot" it or go "over the top". The "sling shot" method is the fastest way to do so.