Lead Fouling....

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by dwcfastrice, Jul 28, 2012.

1. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

So, I've been shooting Jacketed .22 out of the AA .22lr Conversion kit on the G23 AND hard-cast (lead) reloads through the LWD barrel through the "Dao" G23 (i'll post pics eventually).

Anyway, I clean them each time I shoot with Hoppes #9. Things seem to be going well. Earlier this week, the .22 was ALL over the paper. Took a look at it, there were lead bits hanging out of the end of the barrel. Broke the pistol down, looked in the barrel and looks like I don't have any rifling left. It's a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Decided to look in the LWD barrel (fired 50 rounds of plated lead reloads), as well, and there are lead deposits throughout.

Those of you who have lots of experience shooting plain "lead"/hard-castlead bullets, what do you use to "get the lead out" as it where? I'm trying the Birchwood Casey stuff (in the white can), but it's taking a LONG time. I've been at it for several hours.

D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Brass/nylon brush should do it, works in my muzzle loaders all the time.

3. dwcfastrice

Yeah. Been working a brass brush through both barrels with the lead remover left in for the prescribed 15 min... Not really effective.

I mean it's working, but hoping for some top or trick that makes it just "fall out".

Wah!!! I'm tired of brushing.... :D

D

4. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Don't know what to say… how good is your brush?

5. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

Hey D, I don't have something to get the "lead out" per sey, but maybe start cleaning with Ballistol? I've heard numerous people say that over time it almost leaves a teflon type coating on the metal.
    I've never tried the stuff but I've heard wonderful things.
    On a side note, I DID use Hoppes #9 solvent on my mosin barrel with a bronze brush and I managed to get several patches through it to the point they came out clean.
    Good luck!

6. dwcfastrice

Thanks. As soon as the lead comes out, i'll start doing the ballitsol or tufoil thing in the barrel.

As for the mosin... this winter, I may take it to a shop to have the barrel ultrasonically cleaned.
    I am convinced I could run a whole pack of patches through the barrel without it coming clean. ;)

This brass brush is rather old. You know what, I"m going to go buy another brush tomorrow and see how that works. Maybe it's just "worn out" enough to not work as well, but doesn't "feel" worn out.

thanks for the suggestion.

D

7. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

You may just need a new brush... I go through several a year.

8. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I don't think there is anything out there that works any better than anything else. I have some "Shooters Choice" lead remover solvent, the label say's it "Quickly" removes lead deposits, but the directions say "Several Dozens of Strokes", soak & repeat. Which is far from quick. Repeatedly soaking, punching with a fresh copper/brass brush, and clean patching, will eventually get it done though. I have noticed that after I've used lead remover the barrels tend to be less prone to leading afterwards. Brownell's sells the Lewis lead remover tool/bore punch, but they don't make it in .22 cal. The Lewis system does work well though, using a small brass screen that affixes to the end of a bore punch, and drapes over a rubber section. The brass screen skirted over the rubber gets down into the lands & grooves, doing a great job with any solvent. Brownell's has a vid of the Lewis tool, which might give you some ideas, like brass faucet screens as bore patches? Sadly, nothing in .22 though.

9. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Old man I shoot with that shoots lead out of his stock barrel cleans it with mercury. Don't know where he gets it.

10. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Why not just double the toxicity of our trade why don't ya!!! Lol never heard of that one!!!

11. SeventiesWreckers

People still use it, mostly to refine gold. Mining supply shops sell it out here. You need quite a bit of it though. Lot's of olds thermometers, and thermostat switches. There is a stigma about it being ultra toxic, but if take precautions it's safe enough. Getting the lead back out of it after you create an amalgam requires a retort though.

12. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Shooters Choice lead remover and a piece of Chore Boy bronze scrubbing pad works well...

13. Not posting this as a suggestion for the OP, just putting this forward as another question that may or may not be a good idea.

That being said, would it be possible/beneficial/efficient to heat the barrel so that any lead buildup would melt and roll out of the barrel? Or would this potentially damage the barrel? Lead's melting point is fairly low compared to steel so maybe it's possible to do this with no danger of damaging the barrel?

14. dwcfastrice

Believe me, the thought crossed my mind for a fleeting moment. :D

As for chore boy pad, Is that a regional thing? I don't recall ever seeing those out this way.

D

15. Well, at least I'm not the only person to think it might not be a bad idea :D

But seriously, if the leading is to the point where the rifling is pretty much gone, it may take days to get it all out with just cleaner. Compared to 10 minutes of heating that sucker up and pouring it out.

16. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

They're around. Sometimes hardware stores. I think amazon.com has them too.

17. SteveC

SteveC New Member

I recently came across some "copper mesh" scourers (kinda like copper-colored, loosely woven steel wool). Then on the back it said "copper coated." I had some thought about using the stuff in my Mosins. Any idea if that's a good idea? Or dangerous ignorance on my part?

18. dwcfastrice

I wouldn't. Steel on steel- not so good for the mosin.

D

19. SeventiesWreckers