Laws

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by iGlock17c, Jan 13, 2012.

1. iGlock17c

iGlock17c New Member

Does anyone know the carry/conceal weapons law in MA and what license you need for it?

2. iGlock17c

iGlock17c New Member

Thanks bud! I'll check it out and get back to you, again thank you

3. iGlock17c

iGlock17c New Member

Man MA really sucks with its gun laws!

4. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

And that is why I love GA

5. GAgal

GAgal Administrator

I absolutely agree. :)

6. iGlock17c

iGlock17c New Member

Ppl in MA ****ed it all up for ppl who are smart about having guns and trying to do the right thing. To many killings where I'm from so the laws are so tough on guns

7. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Where in GA? I've been in the Metro ATL area for 6 years now.

8. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

extreme NW, my closest city is Chattanooga

9. Dirty J

Dirty J This forum sucks.

Mass., Cali and Illinois. Thanks... But no thanks :p

Georgia laws are good... And getting better every days thanks to the folks at Georgia Carry.org

10. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

In a way I wish we would move to training required for permits, that is the only thing keeping us at 25 states verses say TN at nearly 40 states.

11. Dirty J

Do you need training to exercise your 1st amendment rights?

12. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

I'm not arguing rights, but many other states do infringe more so than ours, and if we increased our standards just a little, our permits would be good in more states and keep people like me from having to get NR permits from somewhere.

We also have hunter safety courses, there is not much difference.

13. Dirty J

I would only be agreeable to a training requirement, IF it allowed carry anywhere in the US... Chicago, NYC, California...etc.

And there's about a 0% chance of that happening anytime in my life...

14. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I agree. I was surprised when I went to get my GFL. My original CWL is from FL, where they require the two things I think GA is missing; training and a picture. The idea of only having a fingerprint on a laminated paper license is just...crazy.

Then add in that Dekalb County, where I got my GFL, issues them on plastic cards, like a driver's license, which makes the fingerprint completely useless and is, technically, illegal because the statute specifies the laminated paper card. Or did. I don't even know, exactly, what the updates are.

I think a CCW license should look much like a driver's license. They're taking digital pictures for those, so why not just use the same one and print them out with the same security protections? That would certainly help alleviate some of the concerns of other states.

This also brings up one of my issues with HR822, the concealed carry reciprocity bill that the House passed. It forces the lesser standards of certain states on those that require the highest standards.

This is a common, if flawed, argument. The Supreme Court has ruled there are restrictions to free speech, just as they ruled, in 2008, that while the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, states can apply "reasonable restrictions".

You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater and personally, I don't think it unreasonable that at least a basic primer on laws and proper gun handling, if not shooting, be required for a CCW.

People argue that people driving are more likely to injure/kill someone than someone with a CCW. Well, we don't hand a driver's license to just anyone, without them meeting requirements and passing a test on both basic laws and basic vehicle handling.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  15. Dirty J

While I will agree that 1st Ammendment rights are restricted to a degree, you cannot disagree that training IS NOT a requirement to exercise them.

AND, as of Jan. 1, 2012 all Georgia Weapon licenses do include a photo on a plastic card, similar to a drivers license.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  16. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Cumming, do you shoot at Bulls Eye? I work in Cumming and live in Cleveland.

17. Dirty J

Yessir. Shoot there quite regularly.

18. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

True, not count K-12 English lessons. ;)

It comes down to whether or not training is a reasonable restriction to carry. Not to own, just to carry.

And the other thing we have to be clear about is this; the Supreme Court has only ruled that we have an individual right to own a gun for self defense. They have not ruled and have declined cases that would make them rule, on whether we have right to carry.

Regardless of how you or I interpret the Constitution, the Supreme Court's word is the last on interpretation, so until they rule, a "right" to carry does not, necessarily, exist.

19. sbg2340

sbg2340 New Member

No thats why i love Indiana, they have the most gun friendly laws you could ever want in a state, and here you can carry any way you want via open carry or concealed .