Laser Sights

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by joeleslie, Jul 27, 2012.

1. joeleslie

joeleslie New Member

I was curious as to what people think about laser sights for a Glock 30 SF? I was looking at one that replaces the guide rod but heard they break easily. any thoughts or recommendations?

2. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I dont' have a suggestion specific to the G30 SF, but lasers in general. WHatever you end up choosing, get one that comes on "automatically", whether it's just by gripping the weapon or what not. in a high stress situation, fumbling around wtih a switch isn't going to be the most effective thing.

I'm sure you know not to use the laser as a crutch. Practice all the time with iron sights. You're not garunteed that your POI is going to be the same as the laser's dot, even if you're "zeroed". Trigger pull, grip, etc. all effect the POI.

I like the guide rod lasers, but I too have heard that they "break easily". But then again, if they were junk, why would they be selling so well?

D

3. joeleslie

joeleslie New Member

For the price of the guide rod lasers you would think they would be built to last....not break after 250 rounds.

4. kingfish

kingfish New Member

Have a guide rod laser in my Gen 3 19. NOT worth what I spent. Shoot once it's on then off every time. I've had no luck so just put laser back in the safe.

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I have a few happy customers with theirs though I don't personally like them. Of course, they wanted it. If you are worried about having to buy a new holster, don't cause there are other options like a crimson trace laser grip, and laser lite laser rear sight. Both of these are compatible with most holsters.

6. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

+1 on the crimson trace laser grip. If my hands weren't so small, i'd be all over that.

Used one on a S&W .357 Mag rental at the LGS. Nice feature to have. No on-off. But the sight was off (not at the point of aim) so it was a distraction until I tuned it out.

D

7. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I have a Lasermax guide rod laser in my G33. Stays zeroed and is very inconspicuous. Negatives are cost, on/off switch inadvertently may turn on in certain holsters, cost and availability of batteries and pulsing laser beam.
    As stated by previous poster I'd rather have a laser that comes on automatically when drawn.
    I also have a couple of CrimsonTrace laser grips that are much better in my opinion.

8. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Please do yourself a favor and save some money too. Use the money you would have spent on the laser and put it into some ammo. Running ammo will give you a better shot placement any day. Then you'll focus on the proper sight alignment and not some dancing light on a target.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  9. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Do 5 or 10 squats and then put that laser on a target at just 7 yards and see what you get. If you're firing unsupported, it'd be like trying to follow the flight path of a gnat.

The problem becomes, you become fixated on "catching up" with your little red dot. In the meantime, Johnny Badboy is fixated on putting a chunk of lead through your CPU.

10. Not just after getting your heart rate up, trying to hold a laser on point at 21 feet when perfectly rested and relaxed can be a challenge, especially if you're taking medications or are a caffeine junkie. Is the G30 your carry weapon? If it is, I'd suggest a good set of night sights before a laser. But if your heart is set on a laser, would suggest getting one that goes on the grip rather than inside the gun. If the laser fails, at least it will not affect the function of the firearm.

11. joeleslie

joeleslie New Member

Yes it is my carry firearm. I just wanted to get some input on the lasers to see if they were even worth it...doesn't sound like it to me. Appreciate everyones input.

12. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I have never been a fan of lasers. One of my instructors said "A laser shows your where you're going to miss".

13. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Do you have the standard Glock night sights and you can do Install?

14. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Yup and yup.

15. Brian78

Brian78 Junior Member

I like your point CountryMic, rather still have a functioning piece, rather than a failure any day. I have been looking and just cannot settle on anything as of now.

16. joeleslie

joeleslie New Member

Any particular brand/color combination of night sights everyone prefers?

17. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Trijicon, night sights, green, I sell them for $90.

18. A_Fond_Farewell

A_Fond_Farewell New Member

My reasoning for not depending on lasers is just that....

I cannot depend on them.... all electronic devices can fail, most often from dead batteries.

I will not train to use a laser if it might not work when I need it...

Iron sights will always be there and functioning, can't say the same for lasers.

If it's up close and personal, point shooting will suffice.

Most of the "NEED" for lasers has been perpetuated by those that manufacture them...

19. Have had a lasermax in my glock for about 13 years now I would never spend that kind of money again but have had no problems with it, other then batteries. It keeps the gun on target as long as your close the further back you go the further off your shot is. With no adjustment on it really sux just put it down as an expensive lesson learned.

20. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Want nice three-dot nite sights? Find a Glock armorer and have him install Glocks steel nite sights. Work great and if you get them at a GSSF match, it'll probably be the cheapest way to go, too.