laser or no laser

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by davbek, Jun 6, 2012.

1. davbek

davbek New Member

in a critical situation do you prefer laser or no laser

2. depends on the situation

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I guess I'd say, no laser, since I don't have a laser on any of my firearms.

4. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I've got the Viridian X5L Gen2 on my Glock 21, but it's dedicated to the home & property for dusk till dawn. But as bright as it is at night, it's still too dim in a full sunlight situation to pick up quickly, I'm much faster getting on target without it under full light conditions. My carry gun is the XDM .45 with no laser, or light. Less bulky & easier to carry. I have Crimson Trace grip lasers on a Colt & S&W, but they are next to useless if it's not full dark.

5. joe17

joe17 New Member

I just put in a bid on a laser on eBay for 21 bucks. Has anyone bought one of these?

6. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

I don't know how much I'd trust one of those, let's just say you get what you pay for. Plus if you need a laser to shoot then something's up... I'm just saying. But if it works out let us know.

7. joe17

joe17 New Member

For 20 bucks I figure it's worth the gamble.

8. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Didn't see a link or picture. There are alot of cheap Chinese lasers out there. Beware of these and close copies of quality lasers. Most don't hold up. I have a Crimson trace on a .44 mag that never loses zero and still has original batteries from over a decade ago. Through experience I've found it better to buy American high end electronics(lights and lasers). I have no cheap equipment that's lasted but have American lights and lasers that still work even over 15 years old.

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

In a bad situation, I doubt you'll have the muscle motor control to turn the the lazer on if it has a ON/OFF switch.
    Or, if you get used to using it during training sessions and for some reason it fails to work when you most need it, your brain is going to shut down and slow your reactions while you "Look" for, and try to asertain what is wrong.

For those reasons I try to keep things simple, or "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) my training sessions.

I have seen many shooters try to use lazers to shoot paper. What I have witnessed just about everytime is that they get so focused on the light on the paper they forget all about the other basic stuff they need to be paying attention too! And of course, they jerk the gun and end up with bad hits.

My best advice for self protection is to learn and be profiscient in handling your firearm without a lazer first. Get the confidence you need to shoot well and know you are good before depending on any outside guidence system.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  10. If you DO go laser, echoing off his post, you need a grip activation like the crimson trace, or if you have something like the TLR you need the plate that puts a pressure button in the trigger valley. If the laser activation is not a by-product of natural it is useless.

11. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

12. davbek

davbek New Member

no laser

that's the convincing response I wanted to hear, thanks