Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever taken Krav Maga classes? If so what did you think about it? Trying to find some classes local to me but not having any luck.

Reactions: SoloScuba

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Yes, I've taken a handful and I felt they were very instructional/practical, without the "zen like state of mind" that some martial arts launch deeply into

Reactions: j102

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
I have been training in Martial Arts since age 6. I'm now 35. I hold a 5th Dan grade in TKD. Around 2nd Dan grade our instructor encouraged us to learn other martial arts on top of our TKD training. I did some Krav Maga. KM cuts to the chase. Of all the MA I've studied it seemed the most applicable to the real world. Without all the tradition stuff other martial arts teach, before you learn something useful. If you want to jump strait to learning how to defend yourself. KM is a good martial art to take. IMHO

·
Banned
904 Posts
I have been training in Martial Arts since age 6. I'm now 35. I hold a 5th Dan grade in TKD. Around 2nd Dan grade our instructor encouraged us to learn other martial arts on top of our TKD training. I did some Krav Maga. KM cuts to the chase. Of all the MA I've studied it seemed the most applicable to the real world. Without all the tradition stuff other martial arts teach, before you learn something useful. If you want to jump strait to learning how to defend yourself. KM is a good martial art to take. IMHO

Hapkido is good real world too.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hapkido is good real world too.

Hapkido was the other one I was considering besides Krav Maga, there are some Hapkido classes in my area.

Reactions: j102

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Does KM have belts or just teaches self defense. I too just want to cut to the chase. Took MA at a younger age and got tired of the belt system. I'd spar with higher belts and beat them yet without going through the formal process was stuck at the belt I was at. Just want to learn basics so in prepared. Don't care about the hoopla or recognition aspect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending upon the style of Aikido you took, you'll find the Krav Maga techniques similar. The techniques are basically Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu but with less flourish and a great practical side. If you enjoyed Aikido, you'll probably enjoy Krav Maga as well.

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Depending upon the style of Aikido you took, you'll find the Krav Maga techniques similar. The techniques are basically Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu but with less flourish and a great practical side. If you enjoyed Aikido, you'll probably enjoy Krav Maga as well.

Both are strait to the point real world fighting styles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve trained in Krav for 7 years. I love it. But opinions are like.....well you know. People have their favorites just like anything. I like Krav because it trains you to be well rounded, stand-up, ground, knives, guns, multiple attackers, etc. Where I train the one instructor is also a Blackbelt in BJJ and incorporates some of that into our ground workouts.
Give it a try for a few weeks and see what you think. Never hurts to be exposed to different techniques and disciplines.

·
Registered
Fox Pepper Spray and....................
644 Posts
I did a couple years of Shotokan, but would love to get into Krav, but last time I checked nearest class is 3 to 4 hr away.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts