Glock Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my first knife for edc (spyderco sage) and would like to know what kind of kit I would need for sharpening. I'm pretty new to knives and would like something on the basic side if possible. Also any tips and/or videos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

-Wurm

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
There is all ways the Japanese wet stone way. It takes time to get it down pat but you can get a razor sharp knife that you can shave with doing that way.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFIg9Cm-nJg[/ame]

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I say to use wet stones. It is a bit tricky, but once you got it down, nothing compares to the edge you get.

·
Registered
467 Posts
+1 on Japanese water stones. I've been a woodworker for years and can shave with a plane iron after a few short minutes. It is a skill you will need to hone (pun intended) but once you do, WOW.

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
I use the Lansky also but only if a knife has a profile that I don't like or if I've let a knife's edge get out of hand. While a time consuming method, the Lansky does a fine job of putting a perfect edge on a blade. I use the "V" styled ceramic crock sticks to keep a knife honed. If you have a good knife and don't let it get too dull, the crock sticks will keep it razor sharp. Here's what I use, copied from an eBay ad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a lansky set but I still prefer using a whet stone. It works great for my knives and straight razors alike. Don't waste your time with one of those four inch stones at the sporting goods store. Find yourself a good sized whet stone the larger the whetting surface the better. You'll be pleased with the keenness and you'll find it's money we'll spent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh and stay away from a course stone. Unless you really beat your blade to hell. For normal use a fine grain to extra fine is sufficient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts