1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I second wet stones. Make sure you get a Japanese wet stone and not a Western wet stone cause the Japanese one uses water and the Western one uses oil. An the Japanese ones are softer then the Western ones. The only way IMO to get knifes razor sharp: http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Se...mproductgroup=Sharpening&BrandForDisplay=King

I personally use the combination stones with two size of grit. You want to start around 200/250 threw 800 grit for repairing small nicks in the blade or to re bevel it. The 1000 to 1200 grit is for the first stages of the sharping process. Then finish it off with 4000 to 8000 grit to give it that razor sharp (you can shave with it) edge.

·
ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o
329 Posts
I recommend this for Novice.. It sharpens your knife in seconds in perfect angle, all the time! It cost $70 (Amazon) but it's worth every single penny!

·
ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o
329 Posts
Yup. It has an angle guide for knives & tools. It gives you confidence that you're gonna sharpen it right, all the time.

The best part.. you can make it a belt sander for Gunsmithing! :D:D:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently got a wicked edge knife sharpening system. It's been a fantastic. I used to play with wet stones, but I was never able to get consistent results. The wicked edge system really allows you to get a consistent and polished edge on those blades. It's expensive, but I won't sharpen a knife without one anymore.

www.wickededgeusa.com

I use a Pro-pack 1 with the 1 and 0.5 micron leather strops for that fine edge.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't waste money on sharpeners. The best I have come across from a friends dad of mine that let me in on the tip is the rod inside of street lamp light bulbs. It's gets knives to the point you can shave your arm hairs. Trust me it work!

image-2074065221.jpg

Just break the bulb and use that inside rod. Once you use that you will never use anything else.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Don't waste money on sharpeners. The best I have come across from a friends dad of mine that let me in on the tip is the rod inside of street lamp light bulbs. It's gets knives to the point you can shave your arm hairs. Trust me it work!

View attachment 5685

Just break the bulb and use that inside rod. Once you use that you will never use anything else.
Wow, first time I've seen that method! Interesting.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I second wet stones. Make sure you get a Japanese wet stone and not a Western wet stone cause the Japanese one uses water and the Western one uses oil. An the Japanese ones are softer then the Western ones. The only way IMO to get knifes razor sharp: http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Se...mproductgroup=Sharpening&BrandForDisplay=King

I personally use the combination stones with two size of grit. You want to start around 200/250 threw 800 grit for repairing small nicks in the blade or to re bevel it. The 1000 to 1200 grit is for the first stages of the sharping process. Then finish it off with 4000 to 8000 grit to give it that razor sharp (you can shave with it) edge.
THIS ^^^^^^

I recommend this for Novice.. It sharpens your knife in seconds in perfect angle, all the time! It cost $70 (Amazon) but it's worth every single penny!

Hmm....$70.....or half of that and a few hours of practice with a cheap knife?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The problem with wet stones is in getting the right angle for the blade, which varies by blade type. The various commercial sharpeners generally keep a certain, generic, angle, so they're be great at putting a good, lasting edge on certain knives and worthless on others. I've read decent reviews of the Chef's Choice 3 stage sharpeners, but without a doubt the best results seem to come from professionals.

·
Registered
511 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts