Kahr experience

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by xxlrg, Jun 10, 2012.

1. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

I was looking at the G36 to close the size gap between my 30 and lcp. I went and actually held one and kinda changed my mind. I actually got to hold an xds too. They werent really that much smaller than my 30 or 19. Really want something smaller. Something closer to the lcp. So my whole point is Im really considering the Kahr CM9. I can get one for 375 so Im thinking low risk investment wise. Ive shot one before and I liked it. My main concearn is reliability. Can anyone here comment on any personal experience in this aspect of it?

2. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

I have shot many rounds through the PM9 which is very similar to the CM9. Actually they made the CM9 less expensive by glueing the front sights on it, I think the barrel is a little different and you get one magazine with CM9 and 2 with PM9. Basically they just found a way to make it less expensive.

Shooting the PM9 is fun. Did not have any problems at all. Really like it. $375 is a good price. Have Fun.

image-2154518765.jpg

3. The main difference between the pm9 and cm9 is the barrel. The pm9 has the polygonal rifling and the cm9 has conventional rifling. The slide markings are a little better on the pm9, but all other specs and dimensions are the same on the cm9. Oh, the pm9 comes with 1 extra mag, but IMO, not worth the $250 price difference! The one negative, for me, on the cm9 is that it's only available with the matte stainless slide. I prefer all black. JMO.

4. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you look at the LC9?

5. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

I guess that can be fix with a Duracoat job. : )
    Without knowing how reliable it is, my problem is that is not much smaller than a Glock 26. Don't get me wrong, it is smaller and lighter, but not enough for me in relation to the G26.

6. runman

runman New Member

I too have been looking at Kahrs. Don't have any first hand knowledge but my CCW instructor carried one daily and spoke highly of it. Figure he has many years of experience so it was a pretty good endorsement.

Just yesterday I compared it to a G26 and they are pretty much the same size except the G26 is wider. No matter though, it still just feels like a smaller gun when you hold it in your hand so it would probably feel smaller to carry also. The ruger LC9 seemed about like the Kahr, size wise.

7. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

I owned a CW40 for years and carried it almost daily. Loved the gun but had some features I didn't like (slightly mushy trigger, fixed combat drift sights, and low round capacity). In the end I sold it to a buddy of mine and bought a G23 which is only slightly longer and wider but doubles the round capacity.

8. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Ill try to address everyone in one reply. I didnt know the front sight was glued on. Can anyone really confirm this. That might make a difference to me about this purchase. I thought that the PM was pressed on and the CM was staked kind of like the glock front sight.
    I dont mind the 2 tone and really like the fact that it only came with one magazine. I would rather just buy another standard length mag instead of the extended mag.
    To me the size difference between the CM9 and G26 is alot. The grip on the CM seems really slim even compared to other single stack options. The LC9 grip is slim but it is very wide (front strap to back strap) also. The grip on the CM just seems to fit me better.
    I just cant seem to get a good feel for the slim and wide grips like the lc9, xds, and G36.

9. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

To me this will give me another size option. Ive carried my G30 for over 5 yrs without even thinking about another weapon. Now Im trying to have better options. The lcp plays 2 roles me. Mostly a bug but I also carry it when I just cant carry anything else. So Im looking for this next one to fit this role but with a little more punch. It will be my primary when I want something smaller than the G30 or G19. Them I can leave the lcp to just being a bug. Ive read alot of reviews and drank the Kahrtalk koolaid but really respect the people on this forum so wanted to get yalls (Texas word) input and experience.

10. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Unless Glock comes out with a single stack 9mm that smaller then the subcompacts my only other option I see is the EMP. That is a much more expensive option and much heavier too if I remember right. Anyone think of any other pistol that is in that size range (CM9/EMP) they can recommend? Maybe I need to go shoot a Lc9 and see if that changes my mind. Idk but im fixin to do some more shoppin and see. Ill be checkin in if anyone has any good ideas or comments. Thanks

11. Ahh... Duracoat!!! That would work! If I decide on buying one, I'll send it to nukin! I would have to do that anyway since it would be for my wife and I'm sure she would want the frame in pink! Lol! Smaller is better for her cause of her small hands. "Her" G26 became "my" G26 because even the it's grip is too fat and wide(front strap to back strap) for her.

12. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

How about the M&P shield or 9c

13. Hey, hey now, "yalls" is a TN word too! Lol! I am a Cowboys fan though!

14. I haven't shot the LC9, but all the reviews I've read is that the trigger sucks and it's hammer fired. That's a deal breaker for me! Take a look at the Beretta Nano also! It's a sweet one too!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  15. The M&P Shield seems to be a nice gun, but it's rather large to be considered a pocket gun. Hickok45 did a T&E video on it and it seems like a good quality gun as you would expect from S&W.

16. runman

runman New Member

For the OP, cant really give you any recommendations but please follow up on what you decide. I'm definitely interested in finding something in this size range. Thanks.

17. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

So Im back from shooting/shopping and I looked at the shield. It looked nice but wasnt really digging the looks or the way it fit in my hand. They were out of CM9's but they had 1 PM9 left. After holding it for a bit I decided to go ahead and get it. I didnt shoot it because I wanted to strip and clean it first but I will post some pics. Range report will have to wait till at least tomorrow afternoon.

18. runman

runman New Member

Congrats! I'm sure it's a fine weapon, can't wait to hear your thoughts after shooting it.

19. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

If your gonna get a Kahr stick with the pm series. I carry a pm9 in my front pocket in a Nemesis holster. It is a very accurate little gun. It has better barrel then cm9 and better sights. It also comes with one flush mount clip and one extended +1 clip. I haven't had any problems with the pm9, but stay away from models with serial numbers starting with VA, and VB if buying used one. They had a voluntary recall in 2003 (VA), and 2004 (VB) pm9's. The feed ramp had trouble with chambering Speer Gold Dot bullets. If you had a Kahr that was made during those years, Kahr just polished the feed ramp, and problem was fixed. I only carry my PM as a B.U.G. to one of my Glocks. Hope info is helpful.