Just loaded it up for the first time!

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by deadlift560, May 26, 2012.

1. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Have just loaded 15 rounds in my mag for the first time. Been carrying empty around the house. Came home tonight and thought I heard someone so grabbed my 19. Only to remember there's none in there. False alarm. But now im officially carrying hot! :)

2. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Just haven't had the time since getting wednsday and wanted to get used to handling it before it was loaded but now it's loaded lol

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Yea...so be careful !

4. Lodestone1968

Lodestone1968 New Member

Operational Risk Management and loaded/unloaded conditions.

I would venture to say you may see many comments on this topic. When you say loaded magazine, I am assuming you have a fully loaded magazine inserted with no round chambered. This in itself is another subject scrutinized by many. On one side you will see the group who states a gun is useless unless it is loaded. That is e.g. in the case of a Glock, magazine loaded and inserted with a round chambered. The other camp may feel better with only using a loaded magazine and no round chambered. The question I propose or the comment I have is that based on the Glock safeties I see no reason why you would not choose to chamber a round if your ORM dictated it.

5. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Not sure what orm stands for sorry new to the abbreviations lol. But I just loaded the mag. Haven't even got to put it in yet due to bathin my boys. Soon as I get back up to get it outta the dresser, it will be loaded and chambered. No use in having it not chambered :)

6. congrats lol. i havnt shot my G23 in a long ass time. i really need to shoot it here soon lol. but i have carried it a few time with it cocked locked and ready to roll. makes me feel a lil safer than having just the clip in it.

7. G19C

G19C New Member

I always carry my firearms/Glocks with one chambered. If something goes bad in a moments notice, just that few seconds of racking one, can be the difference between life a death.. A bad guy is not going to wait for you to chamber it.

As some Glock critics say, there is no safety. In fact there are 3 safeties. Most accidently misfires by children are the ones tht never were expososed to a firearm and want to try "Dad" "Unloaded Glock" as he has seen on an Xbox game.. Not saying don't properly educate kids/spouses, etc, but if you always treat a firearm as loaded/chambered, it's not the firearm that kills you, it the unexperienced firearm ownder..

Or a quote I like is " guns don't kill people, husbands who come early do..LOL"

Just my opinion as a Glock Instructor...

8. this is true. i will agree with you there mate. i need to start carrying her cocked locked and ready to roll.

9. Lodestone1968

Lodestone1968 New Member

ORM- Operational Risk Management

You can change your level of preparedness and safety considerations based on your environment and situation.
    Some people feel the need to carry 24/7. Others may only carry outside the home.
    This also impacts your loading conditions and ammo selection.
    Play out the "what if" or "what is the worse thing that can happen".
    If I shoot this gun with this type of ammunition what will happen.
    Do I need a fully loaded magazine with a chambered round if I live in suburbia with a little rat terrier that barks at every noise.
    Are my wife and kids trained in gun handling. Etc....
    The list goes on and on.

10. I've been carrying my G26 for about a year now and I've always carried "hot"! Just like G19C said, those couple seconds after drawing your gun to rack a round could go very bad! Not to mention, what if there's a malfuction and you can't get a round to chamber? Not good! We all talk about "Glock Perfection", but let's face it, NO firearm is always perfect! Anything can happen..... Or I should say nit happen!

11. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

just do what makes you feel comfortable with. but what ever you decide, always treat that thing like its a bomb fixing to go off. im not saying you dont know how to handle a firearm, but being around law enforcement, medics, and others, a lot of self inflicted gun shots where from owners carrying hot for a while, then cold for a while, then there mind get used to one or the other, then one day removing it from the holster "not thinking" its hot and then on a accident miss handle it, then "BANG". thats why its important to always treat it with respect. i have heard it time after time, " i didnt know it was loaded", " i forgot i had it chambered". it happens. but what makes you feel safe is best.

12. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Well said thanks