Glock Forum banner

Just back from range with my new G19 gen 4

8K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  OuttaHand 
OuttaHand said:
... and I'm in love! :D

I bought a brand new model 19 gen 4 a week ago. Got my WI concealed carry permit . I knew my Desert Eagle Mark VII .44 mag would not make a very good CCW so I was looking for a new weapon to add to my gun safe. The instructor of our Home Defense course said that a Glock would be good, and I knew of their fine reputation, so I hit the internet to see what would others thought. I read everything I could find.

There was lots of talk of the XD, as well as many other non-Glock weapons, but there was always some little recurring problem I would read about with each of them. The only negative I could find about Glock was their apparent appetite for good ammo, rather than low-powered cheap stuff. Figured I could live with that.

So I picked up my G19 last weekend and it's been in the safe since (except for getting it out to point at the bad guys on TV).

Today my dad and I went to a nearby range. He's got a brand new .22 Taurus that he hadn't had a chance to fire, either.

I put 200 rounds through the G19 today:
100 were Independence 9mm Luger -- 124 grain full metal jacket
100 were Remington UMC 9mm Luger -- 115 grain jacketed hollow point.

Had a total of just 3 FTE. I am fairly sure 2 were with the Independence and one with the Remington.

All-in-all, for the break-in period of this weapon, I thought that was very reasonable.

Besides the consistency, the thing is accurate! I fired the first 50 rounds with both hands holding resting on the bench. Wanted to see if the sights were anywhere near close. They were beautiful! Had about a 3" group just about centered.

After the range cease-fire and target change, I ran another 50 through it. This time half resting hands on the bench and half holding two-handed standing up. My off-bench rounds were just about as closely-grouped as the ones where I held it on the bench! That weapon shoots like a dream!!!

So I am incredibly happy with the Model 19 Gen 4. It fits me nicely (though I did put extenders on two of the three magazines which makes it just a little nicer). It also has very little recoil. It barely rises at all when fired. All of that, and the 9mm ammo is not terribly expensive!

Yup -- I'm in love.

By the way -- Glock isn't the only one that's a little picky about ammo. My dad's brand new Taurus .22 caliber semi-auto (sorry -- don't know model) was also very picky. He had two boxes of ammo, both CCW brand. The gun would pretty consistently FTE on the one box. But when he switched to the hollow points, it fired and worked perfectly. I would guess they must have been just a bit hotter.

Of course, I let my dad try the G19 also. What did he do? Perfect bullseye on the very first shot. I hate show-offs!
I also have a Glock 19, but not a Gen 4. After reading this I would love to try the new Gen 4!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.