jammed 23

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by ssr, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ssr

ssr New Member

i am new to the site and i am not a gun smith by no means so bare with me.i shot my 23 today and on the second shot it jammed with a round in it the slide is almost all the way forward but not all the way closed it will not move either way could someone give me some help?

2. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

What kind of jam? What is a double feed, gun wasn't fully in battery?

3. ssr

ssr New Member

not sure what you are asking but shot once it shot fine shot again and it jammed i droped the clip and moved the slide back by hand and it jamed one in the pipe but is not all the way closed and will not move either way now.sorry but its kind of hard for me to explain it. i just need to get it apart some how. i think it is the amo some cheap target rounds that are old.

4. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Double feed is how it sounds, 2 rounds try to chamber at the same time and get stuck. A gun not fully in battery means the slide did not fully seat after racking the slide or after firing a shot. But what you are describing sounds like a squib load, it's where the round didn't have enough kick to exit the barrel and gets stuck, not enough powder in the round.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  5. ssr

ssr New Member

that sounds about right so how can i get it unloaded any help please

6. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

7. ssr

ssr New Member

thanks for the info but iam still not sure how i can get my slide back it seems to be jamed were it is almost closed but not completely

8. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Can you put up a picture?

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@SSR:

I do not know if this will help, but this is what I would do given the situation you describe:

DO NOT TRY TO FORCE THE SLIDE INTO BATTERY (Closed), this could potentially result in a round jammed in the chamber or a slam-fire.

Instead:

Remove the magazine, and empty it of all rounds, then reinsert the magazine.

Brace the front of the pistol againsts a WOOD surface (one you don't mind scratching), with the edge of the wood against the slide but over the barrel.

Push down on the pistol, and at a slight angle (otherwise the slide could slip off the wood). Be very aware of muzzle direction, in case the slide retracts and slams forward and detonates the round (not likely, but possible nonetheless).

Ideally a steadily building pressure downwards should do the trick, or rushes of force.

When the slide is all the way back, the magazine should engage the slide lock, holding it open.

See pics below (sorry, it's nightime here now).

Hope that helps.

Please let us know what happens.

*PS* inspect your extractor claw carefully once the round is cleared, as well as the bore....make sure the bore is clear of obstructions. Keep the round handy if there are peculiar marks on it, photograph if possible, and please share.

Good Luck!

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      39.5 KB
      Views:
  10. HappySniper1...

This just happened to me. I found your thread and was able to clear the "jam". I couldn't get the slide to move in either direction. I did as you said by removing the mag and putting the front of the gun against a piece of wood. Some downward pressure and out it came.

Thank you so much for posting this along with the pictures. Very clear and helpful.... and no Gunsmith.

Forget all you people whose advice is take it to a gunsmith. What is this world coming to when a guy can't roll up his sleaves and dig in and try to fix things yourself. You all ought to be ashamed and embarrassed. I bet you wear a helmet when riding your horse.....

OK... I feel better now.

Next problem.... I carefully inspected the gun. Seemed ok.. I loaded a clip and tried to chamber a round. The slide will not fully close. Therefore won't shoot. I tried different types of ammo... Hmmmm somethings not right. I don't have anything to compare my barrel to but just guessing it looks like there is a heavy ring just before the riflings start that may be preventing the bullet from fully seating in the barrel and therfore the slide from fully closing.

Any ideas?

11. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Did the entire fired case extract & eject? Or perhaps the base of the cartridge separated & was ejected, leaving the fired casing in the chamber minus the base?

Can you break down the weapon & inspect the barrel & chamber?