Glock Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all...

Took my G17 to the range yesterday. I've noticed an issue with the sights, or maybe it's the way I align the sights.

I have night sights on my G17, factory installed, when it was in for the voluntary recall back in the 90's.

I've been told that the three dots must line up for it to be on target. However, when I line the dots up, I'm losing the center dot's lower portion...and then I'm shooting too low. Adjusting the pistol so that it's even and straight means the center dot is now in a pyramid formation, which makes my accuracy a little better, but still not there, and I get people telling me I'm not aiming it correctly.

Is this a sight installation error, an issue with the sights, or handler issue and i should just ignore everyone else and just figure out the best way for me to hit the target in better groupings?

I've also learned I'm a finger pad trigger person as opposed to the first joint. Using the joint, I was pulling the pistol to the right, and throwing off my alignment. Switched to the finger pad method and my groupings were a little better.

Still working on a comfortable stance that lets me shoot longer without tiring me out. Using the LE/military stance causes my left shoulder to tense and tighten after prolonged shooting. I also have to remember to exhale and not hold my breath. LOL. I also learned I should not drink coffee before going shooting as when the caffeine hits, it causes tremors...and I should not shoot longer than 45 minutes to an hour because I tire and it throws my stance off, i tense more.

I do know that the Glock 23 is comfortable in the hand, but definitely has more punch in the hand than my G17. Hubby tossed my G23 targets away so I can't compare my groupings to my G17 groupings. Hubby said I had a little better groupings and accuracy with the G23, than my G17...will definitely rent the G23 again and be sure to tell the hubby not to toss them. Not entirely sure i liked that extra punch though, but it could be because I'm not yet used to it. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Sandie,
Shoot the firearm YOU are most comfortable with. If it is the G17 then so be it. Once you can master shooting it then later in life pick up the G23 and go some more rounds with it.

Sight aligment is usually with the top of the front sight level with both sides of the rear sight. There should be equal light in eitherside of the front sight. But I think you know this. So yes, a smigen of the front dot is going to be below, and out of the picture.

Some folks see all the sight alignment pictures and align their sights just is is shown but they do it ezactly as in the picture. In most pictures it shows the alignmnet taking place ath the bottom of the bullseye. This is wrong but makes for a clearer understanding. If you aim at the bottom of the bullseye, that is where you'll hit.

Align the sights on a white target with a thin crosshair drawn on it. Take your time and shoot this for awhile. Your group here will tell you where the gun or you need adjusting. Don't make the mistake of placing the traget too far down range either and hang it out no farther than 10yrds or 30 ft.

I had trouble too and found I had to see all the dot on the front sight in order to get the point of aim I desired.

There usually are marking indications on GLOCK sights and these are different for different guns. But in your case both are the same. It should just look like a minus bar on the side of the rear sight.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Glock factory sights are designed to lined up across the top of the sight. The very top of your front sight should be line up with top of your rear sights. The top of your front sight should be lined up with the middle of the "X" on your target and that is where you Point of Impact should be. Different aftermarket sights are different though. TRUGLO for example are designed to line up the dots, not the top of the sights.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Pics are worth a thousand words, so on that note here is what it is supposed to look like when you line the factory sights up:

Glock_Sight_Pic-1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the sights - after market, Glock factory installed, night sights. I'm pretty sure they're Glock night sights but don't quote me as i don't have the paperwork.

[/IMG]

Not very good pics, taken with cell phone while trying to line up the sights with my left hand (I'm right handed).

[/IMG]

The bottom of the center dot is starting to disappear in the pic. When I'm in position and aiming, ready to fire, the bottom "line" of the center dot pretty much is gone.

To get any accurate groupings, and closer to the bullseye, rather than being too low, this is what I see -

[/IMG]

These are the targets...

[/IMG]

You can see where I'm hitting too low. This is from aligning the center dots in a row, as hubby instructed me. Afterwhich, I told him to let me do it and started playing around with sighting in on my own, checking every couple of shots.

As embarrassing as this one is, I'm posting this one. LOL. It's two magazines worth on one target. The circled shots are mag #1, the uncircled is mag #2. This is an excellent example of not shooting too long (an hour) and not after a double shot espresso has kicked in. LOL. I'm all over the place with it.

[/IMG]

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, your still shooting center mass, & your pattern is running vertical.

You might try shooting 3 shots, & then "Spotting" them with some bino's. Eventually you'll create your own kind of fire discipline. Some people try to hold too long getting a sight picture. Your arms can only stay steady for a few seconds, after that your just fighting it. If I'm just shooting target shots, I drop my aim after every shot, & relax my arms, then I re aim for the next. I don't hold for more than 3 seconds before I fire, it's a timing thing. Of course if your doing double tap drills, or rapid fire drills, you'd stay aimed in.

It just takes practice, if it was easy anybody could do it, & this forum wouldn't be so busy.

Good shooting though, I've had worse days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts