ISO Best Ankle Holster G26

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by jshahan, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jshahan

jshahan New Member

Hello all! New to Glock but have the bug. Picked up a gen4 19 for HD and gen4 26 for CC...

My question is to ankle holsters for the 26... I have done quite a bit of research and have narrowed it down to (in no particular order) the DeSantis Apache, Renegade Cozy Partner 53, Galco Ankle Glove and have also heard some good things about Fobus.

Thoughts? I am 6', 235 with big calves.

I'd love to try them all on but the only one I have found in my LGSs is the Apache. While this would work, I hope it's not my best option.

Price is no issue so long as I get what I pay for. Please help!!! Thanks and happy Glocking!

2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Galco is the only one from your list I have any experience with, and it is my favorite of the ankle rigs. Added padding between the gun and your ankle and the rig doesn't move around like others I have tried. With big calves, it will be easy to conceal.

3. I've got the Galco for a gen3 G27. The gun is pretty heavy for an ankle gun but the Galco has performed brilliantly. I have worn it on several occasions for 18 hours and after the first few days of getting used to it I have no issues with long carry times or discomfort. My father-in-law uses a DeSantis for a small .38 snubbie and he loves it, they make a good holster and would be a good buy too.

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I used the Fobus ankle holster extensively with my G27 and I was very happy with it. It's the only Fobus holster that I would actually recommend.

Whatever you end up with, make sure you follow the directions as far as breaking it in. It's not so much important for the gun as it is for your leg. You can't just strap it on out of the package and wear it for 8-12 hours.

5. jshahan

jshahan New Member

Thanks to all for the responses. Still on the hunt!

6. I wear jeans 90% of the time and I can't see how you guys can stand these

7. jshahan

jshahan New Member

I don't know that I will be able to either, but it seems like my best option. I wear wool or cotton slacks almost daily and have to have it completely concealed at work (but need it at work). Ankle rig seems like my best option. Any other suggestions on where to conceal?

8. prplflh71

prplflh71 New Member

No experience with any you've noted but I do carry a S&W M&P 340ct daily in an ankle rig by Ritchie Leather. They are identical to the Lou Alessi rigs that Lou produced before his death. From what I've read, Lou's daughter took over the business and the product, while good is not what it was under Lou. The guy or guys that have Ritchie leather worked in Lou's shop building holsters right along side Lou. I got mine for my back up since on my job I drive a lot and that is the best draw option for me when seated. I'm very satisfied with the quality of construction and it's so comfortable, I literally forget its there. Only issue I have with ankle rigs is I'm 6'5, 247lbs. Many of my pants while not high water's do ride up when I sit or bend to expose the holster. I have pants that are cut long enough to prevent this and truthfully most folks aren't as tall as me and have leg length issues when buying pants, so likely a non issue for you. Price on the rig was somewhere in the $150 range from www.TopGunSupply.com if memory serves me. This is a holster from a custom builder that's made to last years. I've heard the Fobus and Galco's are decent designs but the materials and construction aren't up to par with the higher end custom stuff like the Alessi design and need to be replaced about yearly if worn daily. Clint Smith wears the Alessi rig in his "Concealed Carry Options" DVD if that carries any weight with you. I just purchased a Gen 4 Glock 26 and will be getting the same rig for it as well. May buy the real Alessi one this time just to see if it's any better or worse. Looks identical on the websites! Just my $.02

9. thorne

thorne New Member

I have a g26 that I use the Alessi Ankle holster with. I love it have used it for almost 2 years. It comes with an extension strap if needed for larger legs. I have many different brand and type holsters but my Alessi is the favorite my by far. Worth every penny!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012