Glock Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a Glock 45 and am a pretty proficient and accurate shooter. My buddy and I were at the range a couple of days ago and decided to try some long-distance shooting. I was shooting my model 45 using 124 grain Speer Lawman ammo, and he had his Sig Sauer P210 (9mm). We were both hitting a juice jug pretty consistently at 75 yards, and any misses were only a few inches at most. We then decided to back it up to 100 yards. He went first and was shooting about the same as he was from 75, but when it came to my turn the shots were really off, by several feet, not inches. There was also no specific direction it was off. They were all over the place.

I know my sight alignment and trigger pull were good, so I had him take a few shots with my Glock and he had the same results. I understand that it's not practical to shoot a handgun from 100 yards and would never attempt it in a real-life situation, but is it normal for there to be that much difference by moving from 75 to 100 yards? My guess is that the barrel length and twist rate just isn't enough to stabilize the round at those distances.

Would love to hear other opinions on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If you are hitting a juice jug consistently at 75 yards with a pistol then you’re a helluva lot better shot than I am. Nice shooting!

·
Glockin’ since 1993
37,292 Posts
A guy that runs a gun range made up a little competition, where you would start at the 30 yard line and shoot a steel silhouette. After each successful hit you would extend another 10 yards. We were even to the 100 yard mark where it ended. He was using a full size and I was using a Glock 23.
Using the ammo you had I would expect better results but that’s all I can figure besides the human factor. Possibly that ammo isn’t ideal for that particular twist rate at distance.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
As the distance increases the shortcomings are amplified. Try shooting your 45 off of a rest at that distance. Is it the shooter or the gun? 25 yards and under you can get away with a lot of issues such as grip, trigger, breathing, etc. Barrel length isn't going to have a big impact on accuracy until you hit 50-ish yards and beyond. At 100 yards with a compact striker fired pistol you have to be perfect. The Sig P210 is a single action target pistol renowned for it's accuracy. I doubt you can get the same accuracy even using a ransom rest.

·
Registered
941 Posts
very few hand guns can match the accuracy of a Sig P-210, specially with the 9mm production guns

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I carry a Glock 45 and am a pretty proficient and accurate shooter. My buddy and I were at the range a couple of days ago and decided to try some long-distance shooting. I was shooting my model 45 using 124 grain Speer Lawman ammo, and he had his Sig Sauer P210 (9mm). We were both hitting a juice jug pretty consistently at 75 yards, and any misses were only a few inches at most. We then decided to back it up to 100 yards. He went first and was shooting about the same as he was from 75, but when it came to my turn the shots were really off, by several feet, not inches. There was also no specific direction it was off. They were all over the place.

I know my sight alignment and trigger pull were good, so I had him take a few shots with my Glock and he had the same results. I understand that it's not practical to shoot a handgun from 100 yards and would never attempt it in a real-life situation, but is it normal for there to be that much difference by moving from 75 to 100 yards? My guess is that the barrel length and twist rate just isn't enough to stabilize the round at those distances.

Would love to hear other opinions on this. Thanks.
Barrel length and twist rate had nothing to do with your misses. That 124 gn bullet is plenty stable at 100 yds. With Glock sights at that distance on such a small target it's extremely difficult to get a decent sight picture, and even the slightest movement during the trigger press can cause wide misses. Sounds like you did well at 75! And yes, your Glock is extremely out classed by the P 210.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts