Glock Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
So when the boss lady heard how many different pistol calibers I had, she started fussing, telling me I only needed a couple of calibers.
I own three 45 ACP's (G21.4, W. German P220 in nickel, and a Sig 1911 Ultra Compact), two 9MM's, (Sig P229, W. German P226), a 40 S&W (same P229, different slide), and a 357 Sig P229 (again, same pistol, different barrel). I also have a throwaway .380 that I keep by the front door.
Do any of you guys (and gals?) own multiple calibers or should I trim down?
She's got a 686 and a S&W M&P Shield EZ in .380.
for the most part, i have 100% handguns.
22 LR, 38/357, 9MM, 45 ACP.

i have a 380, that i fully cleaned and lubed today after blowing off the remaining ammo, and i am dumping it at the LGS for whatever they pay for it.

i think it's a useless caliber, and stocking ammo for it, took up space for the others that i enjoy more.

i only bought the gun off a friends family member, after she bought it, and put it in the closet, for several months. (during the pandemic craze)

it wasn't up to my expectations for a caliber that i could have fun with, at the range, or consider as a CCW, or even home defense.

that jobs are for my REAL guns, like the 9MM's

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The only reason I have the two .380’s is that one was tossed in on a trade.
The other I got as a present for my wife. She’s kinda crippled up and couldn’t rack the slide on any of my guns. I took her to the LGS after hearing about the “EZ’s” and she was able to rack the slide and load the magazine on it since it has a thing to assist in loading. I did get her some Underwood ammo for it.
The 40 S&W is the caliber I have the fewest of, ammo wise. Since I just have a barrel and not a dedicated gun, I guess I’ll keep it until the ammo runs out.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't think you could have too many different calibers within your collection. Having said that, I have issues with too many firearms in the same caliber. I've found myself wanting a firearm for no other reason (not to say it's a BAD justification!) than "I don't have that manufacturer".

.22LR is a prime example for me, though I've culled the types recently. Same for 5.56, after being able to arm a couple squads I looked hard at what is the purpose of each. 12 gauge is yet another overlap for me. And the king of overlap in my collection is 9mm.
Like I need another 9mm? Probably not.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
40,952 Posts
Other than a 12 hour layover in O’hare Airport, I’ve never been in Chicago.
DFW metroplex has exploded in population over the years. Add to that, never ending road expansion and repair, it’s an adventure to get from point A to B these days.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Buying firearms makes me happy and each one,some more than others ,I'm like a kid at Xmas time.regardless of caliber,I enjoy shooting them,cleaning them,wiping them down and admiring them.I like to show them off to a select few.Danzig,you were in my neck of the woods.I would of took you for a quick tour and we sure would of not went hungry.give me a shout out next time.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Other than a 12 hour layover in O’hare Airport, I’ve never been in Chicago.
DFW metroplex has exploded in population over the years. Add to that, never ending road expansion and repair, it’s an adventure to get from point A to B these days.
Those texting women driving big suv"s are a big problem in DFW. And all those stupid pay lanes with the parallel service roads. I prefer being there in a big truck so I can have a better view of the idiots.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
40,952 Posts
Buying firearms makes me happy and each one,some more than others ,I'm like a kid at Xmas time.regardless of caliber,I enjoy shooting them,cleaning them,wiping them down and admiring them.I like to show them off to a select few.Danzig,you were in my neck of the woods.I would of took you for a quick tour and we sure would of not went hungry.give me a shout out next time.
Thanks for the invite! My relatives moved out of Jersey and my buddy that got me free tickets through ATA moved off. Odds of a Chicago trip are almost zero but I’d love a tour and I’m a foodie fo sho!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
After working almost 25 years in the DOC, I know I dreaded traveling to Chicago to take a con to court.
I usually drove the first half of the trip while my partner slept and we’d switch up a few hours later.
I couldn’t live up ther without getting into some kind of road rage incident.
It’s CRAZY up there!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I had a (Long Dead) uncle. He was a Gunsmith. As a Young man, I asked him what the best calibre was? He answered "Buggered if I know. Try em all!" What over 40 years as a Pro Shooter taught me is .......One calibre does not do all! As working calibres I have owned .22 long rifle,.22 Hornet ,.223, .220 swift ,6mm ,243, .25-303 ,.310 Cadet, 30-30, 303 brit ,.308, 30-06, 7x57, 357, 358 win mag .375 Win,.375H&H ,45-70 ! Then there are my fun rifles! Hand guns .22 lr ,.357mag , 9mm, .44 mag! My greatest regret is never having been able to own a .41 mag as they are as rare as hens teeth!
No the more calibres the better!
My brother has a .41 Mag that he bought back in the early 80’s. He shot 1 box of ammo from it and it hasn’t been used since then. He owns quite a few guns but rarely shoots any of them. He mostly likes collecting guns and usually doesn’t shoot at all unless I take him out to the range.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
So when the boss lady heard how many different pistol calibers I had, she started fussing, telling me I only needed a couple of calibers.
I own three 45 ACP's (G21.4, W. German P220 in nickel, and a Sig 1911 Ultra Compact), two 9MM's, (Sig P229, W. German P226), a 40 S&W (same P229, different slide), and a 357 Sig P229 (again, same pistol, different barrel). I also have a throwaway .380 that I keep by the front door.
Do any of you guys (and gals?) own multiple calibers or should I trim down?
She's got a 686 and a S&W M&P Shield EZ in .380.
...Almost like saying you have too many cold beers in the fridge

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
My brother has a .41 Mag that he bought back in the early 80’s. He shot 1 box of ammo from it and it hasn’t been used since then. He owns quite a few guns but rarely shoots any of them. He mostly likes collecting guns and usually doesn’t shoot at all unless I take him out to the range.
I have the same bad habit as your brother, lol!

·
Grumpy Old Man
5,843 Posts
Unfortunately, over here in Oz. It wasn't until Marlin (from memory) offered a lever action in .41 mag ,that most shooters over here realized the round even existed! I was working for the WA Gov in the late 70s early 80's. Our main Depot was in Kalgoorlie and every so often ,we would rotate off the Nullabour back to the main Depot! When there our main duties was feral Goat control . It was also a requirement to qualify in firearms proficiency. We would go to the local rifle /pistol club and after a few rounds have a Barbeque! We were there one day and there was a chap ,shooting and he had a .41 mag Blackhawk! I had several shots and was smitten! But do you think I could ever track one down? I even contacted several importers and they weren't interested in an order of just one Handgun!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I would check Pawn Shops and gun auction sites first. Also check the web and even folks on this forum. Somebody out there has a nice one that is willing to sell it. I already asked my brother and he wants to keep his; said he has never sold a gun and never will.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Did some work at a local cop shop. I mentioned wanting a .41 magnum. The cop did a dog head tilt of "what?" Never did get one. I was rimfire until 2013 when I got a Hi-Point JHP45. Next up was my G23 and both brands snowballed.............

21 - 40 of 51 Posts