Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
2 weeks out of the academy and I had to on two dealers in a dark alley. Only time I've had to so far.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The only "right time to pull" is if it's the right time to shoot, unless you're a law enforcement officer entering a situation that could put your life in danger, which is every 10 minutes or so :).

Unless your life is in danger, drawing your gun is brandishing at best and aggravated assault at worst. Unless you're in fear of death or great bodily harm, the gun needs to remain holstered. Being able to avoid or de-escalate situations are skills that are as, if not more, important as your gun handling. That goes for law enforcement and civilians equally, though it's harder for law enforcement to avoid situations, since going into them is part of the job. It is still possible to avoid situations, but in the sense of heading them off before they escalate, rather than just not being there, as civilians would. Practice situational awareness, and hopefully you'll never have to worry about whether or not to draw.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes there is a right time, when your life depends on it.
Thank God I have never been in that type of situation and pray that I never am.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, When my stubby little legs can't carry my fat butt any farther and he is still chasing. Someone's getting blasted.

·
Ruthless Overlord
181 Posts
When your only tool is a hammer, all problems look like nails. I carry a Surefire 6P, great "tool" at night to tip things in your favor.

·
367 Posts
Once. Walmart parking lot, 2 Gangsta type thugs following me. I turned twice between parked cars like I was looking for my car and they stayed on my trail. I had a full size 9 in a Tommy's Gun Pack, opened it , grabbed the grip, pulled it up, turned and yelled "what the f......" That's about all they heard as they parted ways and vanished like two farts in a hurricane. They're had been a shooting there a few days before this and I reported it to the private security patrol. Too old to run or take a beating.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
Almost had to a couple months back, i would have been the 3rd party in this. Thankfully the guy let the girl go. Long story short he had a butcher knife in one hand and her arm in the other; and i had my 5 yr old son with me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
In uniform I have had to draw on someone, but so far not in civilian life. Like someone said, the time to pull is the time you feel that you have no other option.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
In our CCW classes, I teach our (mostly civilian) students that the only time you can "pull" or display your weapon in a ready (and therefore "threatening") manner is only when you also have a clear legal right to squeeze the trigger. Anything else is brandishing, except when the armed citizen is making himself/herself "more ready" with the firearm but not displaying it.

·
771 Posts
Never have, never hope to, but prepared to do so!

I have never been presented with the need to draw, and frankly, I hope I never need to, because the only time I would draw is when I have already made the consious decision to fire...

Like several have said, some more eloquently than others, but I refuse to be a victim, and I am too young to die and too hold to take a beating...

To that end, I practice, practice, practice, and remain ever vigilant in condition yellow...Paranoid perhaps to some, but sane and prudent to me...and it is my opinion that matters...frankly dont care what others think...it is my life, and the lives of my loved ones, that I am concerned with.

·
24 Posts
2007 thug parks his car between my wife and i and the front door to our apt. and the conversation devolves to "you don't know who you are fookin' with (up to this point i had only repeatedly asked him to leave)". my response was "i'm fookin' with a dead man" and presented my glock 27. he drove off rapidly.

·
Premium Member
13,736 Posts
I am a civilian with a CPL and carry everyday. About a year ago my wife and I were walking with our two young boys in their double stroller. All of a sudden a girl ran up out of no where screaming please dial 911. I immediately noticed her clothing was torn, she had no shoes, and she was bleeding. My wife dialed 911 immediately, and no sooner then she got off the phone a rather large man appeared across the street and starting screaming at the distressed woman. I told my wife to run with the kids. The very large angry man began crossing the street, while threatening to kill me and the women. As soon as he stepped off the curb, I put my hand on my 27, and yelled back to him, the police are on the way, you can sit down on that curb there or run away, I don't really care, but if you cross this street I will end you. He wasn't able to see my gun, maybe saw my hand behind my right hip. I don't know, but he sat on the curb to my amazement, and waited for the police to arrive. I gave my statement and the police sent me on my way. It was a rush, and I hope it never happens again, but I wouldn't do anything differently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This tends to boil down to "if you draw your gun, you should NEED to use it". I think that drawing a firearm can de-escalate a situation faster than trying to negotiate with someone. I'm not saying to draw down on a guy that looks menacing in the parking lot that you caught staring at you, every situation dictates the escalation of force. For instance:

I'm riding in the passenger seat with my girlfriend late on a friday night and we're headed home from somewhere. A gangster type guy, driving a cadillac no less, was weaving through lanes and cutting people off. He drove by and flicked us off and cut us off and happened to turn right down the street that we had to turn down, but in front of us. So he pulled over and let us pass and we both stared at him as we passed and of course, I flicked him off. Lesson learned, I don't flick people off any more, no matter how mad I am.

So he followed us. As we pulled up to the first intersection, he pulled up next to us. He was yelling and screaming cussing us out and my girlfriend turned on the next road to get away. We made 4 more redundant turns, as we were only about a block or two from our house. I told her not to let him follow us home and I called the police. As I was on the phone with them, the guy pulled up next to us going down a neighborhood road and literally forced us to stop behind a parked car and up against a curb and he jumped right out of his vehicle. I naturally got out of my vehicle and locked the doors behind me as I shut the door. I told him from across the vehicles that he didn't want to do this and he needed to get in his car and go home, he didn't. He kept coming at me so I told him i called the cops and they're on the way and now he's a few feet from me, must've been all jacked up on Mountain Dew because he didn't hear what I had to say. So I told him I had a gun and I drew it out and into a low ready, but I didn't put him in my sights. Needless to say he turned and jumped in his car faster than I've seen humans move. I didn't realize til after the police pulled him over later that night that he had a tire iron in his hand during the altercation.

He took off and when the police finally showed up, they told me I was well within my rights. Though whenever I tell this story to friends, it turns into "Well you didn't do all you could to avoid drawing your gun." Well, I could have stayed in the car. But I didn't. We could have just driven to the police station... If we knew where the nearest one was. Sometimes you can't stand idly by when something fierce is about to happen. If I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing. I know I made the right decision.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know "we" as responsible firearm owners avoid areas that may be "shady". Sometimes the shady areas find you, and you have to react. As previously posted somewhere in this wonderful forum was the mentality of a criminal who doesn't care. You can draw your firearm a little early on someone like that because they (the criminal) are afraid of the police, and aren't doing something they should be in the first place. That said, I think it depends on where you are, and what the situation is. If you have to call a law enforcement officer because of what is happening then I would say draw.. (be careful! NOT always!). Chances are they won't be contacting the police anyways!

·
Premium Member
13,736 Posts
In my previous post I did not draw, just prepared to. I had a street between myself and the bg. I figured if he got within 10ft I would draw. I was raised if you draw shoot. I would like others opinions on how I handled the situation I posted above. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to pull my gun on a guy that tried to car jack me at a gas station. The problem was he had a knife a very big one and I told him that I had a gun and not to try and get into my truck. Well he wasn't in the mood and wanted my truck really bad so I pulled my gun after he came at me and I had no choose but to shot him. But I choose to only wound him and not kill him the police came and took my statement come to find out that he was high on drugs. The cop asked me why I didn't kill him he said I was in the right if I had choose to. I only could tell the cop that I had killed enough people in my life when I was over in Beirut in 83 and I thought that there was something wrong with the guy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lucian_253 said:
In my previous post I did not draw, just prepared to. I had a street between myself and the bg. I figured if he got within 10ft I would draw. I was raised if you draw shoot. I would like others opinions on how I handled the situation I posted above. Thanks.
I think you did just fine. Your current statement. Don't wait until 10 ft. The 21 ft rule... If someone is within 21 ft they can/could stab you with a knife. Keep the threat at least 21 ft away... Otherwise your safety could be compromised.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I think you did just fine. Your current statement. Don't wait until 10 ft. The 21 ft rule... If someone is within 21 ft they can/could stab you with a knife. Keep the threat at least 21 ft away... Otherwise your safety could be compromised.
Additionally (in Nevada anyways), the legal distance is (as noted above) 21 feet inside of which (under the particular circumstances) deadly force may be used to protect youself or others against a belligerent whether he/she is armed or not, EXCEPT when the belligerent is armed with a firearm, and then there is no minimum distance in question.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts