Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As to why I recently went with Federal Guard Dog, in 9mm, I have some things to say that I found in research.

First, almost all bullets go through walls except apparently bird shot (well, less than 2 walls) if there's nothing between the gun and the wall. This is why, of course, self-defense experts say aim every shot, own every round.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/daniel-zimmerman/shootingthebull410-2/

I bought Federal Guard Dog because it was what was in the local gun store, I was intrigued by it, liked the concept, and I like the Federal brand. And I saw plenty of videos where, after passing through an object that is meant to simulate shooting a person, this ammo didn't go through walls. But as this video with a 9mm gun in 3" barrel states, bullets go through walls. But Federal was, of the real bullets, not one to penetrate heavily after going through four sheets dry wall.

I use it because I doubt I'll need to shoot through barriers. If I felt the threat of having to shoot into a car through the front windshield was real enough to be valid, I'd carry my spare mag in FMJ. I like the admittedly small amount of comfort it gives me in terms of not penetrating barriers as thickly as maybe it could.

Here's where the rubber meets the road, in my mind. FMJ will penetrate barriers. JHP will often penetrate barriers like walls because usually they clog with material, as shown in this video and therefore don't expand, keeping their ballistic coefficient mostly intact (i.e. they still fly pretty well). EFMJ is designed to expand upon the first barrier it hits, and thus if it passes through (which at this point it appears they all will), it's deformed, and thus should have a slight advantage at dumping its power into wind resistance.

So far I don't think really any bullet, regardless of design, does good enough in this aspect that any one ammo or manufacturer can really claim they've fixed wall penetration problems (i.e. for those who want a bullet that will not penetrate a wall). I think about the only way (and this is a guess) to do that is to shoot rock salt. But I strongly doubt the man-stopping capabilities of rock salt, or even bird shot as mentioned in this website.

But I want to open this up for discussion. Does anyone know of a bullet by any manufacturer that is guaranteed, and proved in testing, to not penetrate dry wall? I'm thinking just about anything in any metal at 9mm speed is going to penetrate. But what do you all think? :)

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Nothing is guaranteed.

However, frangible ammo is usually considered "low over penetrating".

D

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why don't u want it to penetrate drywall? Curious.
Curiosity. My house is brick and concrete so it doesn't matter much to me :) These expand well and should in theory be better at resisting clogging with clothing, but in the end.......... :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have never seen anything that I can remember at least, that won't pass thru at least a few layers of dry wall. Even loads like Glazer sometimes don't open up and continue passing thru multiple walls. The problem with designing ammo that won't pass thru walls is it doesn't pass thru anything. I haven't seen any ammo that is specifically designed to pass thru fewer layers of dry wall that I like. Penetration in gelatin is lacking. Don't have enough info about actual shootings with ammo like the Guard Dog, but I would guess that resulting penetration would be somewhat inadequate based simply on the limited number of ballistic gel tests I've seen.

Most of us who were or who are in law enforcement, prefer just the opposite. I carrier "barrier blind" ammo in my service size pistols and it is also loaded in my AR.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Frangible ammo as mentioned above as in the Glaser safety slugs. I know the Air Marshall Service uses some type of frangible ammo so as not to penetrate the hull of the aircraft. But the best way to keep ammo from going thru walls is a two step process: 1. Use good hollow point ammo.
2. Hit what you're aiming at. There problem solved.

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
Semi wadcutter would probably be the best of both worlds. They are intended to cut clean holes in targets, as such carry material forward rather than slicing through. Plus they still will provide adequate penetration. Problem is some semi autos have feeding problems with them.

·
Gen4 G27, G23, G42 and G40mos
577 Posts
Just saw a tv show do a test using three walls, two interior and one exterior. Most ammo will go through all walls and exit your house. Even birdshot did. Unless it hits the 2x4s most ammo is going through, even frangible did. Obviously a lower caliber and velocity will likely have less energy after going through the walls.

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I'm starting to think that the solution is to have your house build of poured concrete walls (or brick) :)

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
Don't shoot at walls, simple solution. Don't count on walls for cover, while they are better than nothing, if directly behind a person would likely be hit.

That said, a few years back there was a shooting in a house near by during a raid. The deceased fire two 25acp FMJ rounds through a wall at agents. One stopped at a two by four, the second took a 30 degree upward turn passing through the first wall. The second wall it hit just above the door frame and took another turn and struck the ceiling where it stopped. That was a FMJ mind you, any round that hits anything that destabilizes is unpredictable, but it's range and power are severely limited once it does.

So back to the basics, do not point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy. USE but do not count on soft cover. And don't shoot walls, unless the bad guy is directly behind the wall.

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's only one answer to the question at hand:

If you're worried about penetration into something you do not intend to kill or destroy, do not pull the trigger. Period. Firearm safety 101.

Jeff
Yeah this is more of a hypothetical / philosophical / research thread than it is a literal thread. I already think there isn't a round that won't pass through drywall.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts