is remington umc good?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Dboyce12, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

It's my first time buying them & shooting them through my glock 22 and I don't one what's gonna come out of it!! Yikes!! What do I have to look forward to?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

In my experience, Remington UMC uses "dirty" gunpowder. To see what I mean, watch carefully when someone fires, there is more smoke than is the norm (for "smokeless" powder), and the brass cases look real filthy. The rounds themselves perform well, bullet weights within established norms with less than the standard deviation. Now, Glocks are known for continued reliability even when dirty, so this may not even be an issue. As a reloader, I just get anal with dirty brass.

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

about the same as winchester white box, they are fine

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Remington / Union Metallic Cartridge is your standard run of the mill firearm fodder.

Not the best, not the worst...dirty as others have pointed out, accuracy is generally OK.

Your Glock will eat it right up...no problem !

5. db559

db559 New Member

I put about 250 of them through my 21sf this weekend with no problem. A lil dirty tho.

6. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Well-Known Member

That's like eating at Taco Bell for your Glock......lol

7. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Its is but its good ammo to burn at the range. My glocks, 1911 n hi point i had ate that up.

8. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Ok cool thanks!

9. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Lol Haha good one

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

One time, I disassembled a whole 50-round box of UMC 9mm 115-gr JFP rounds, just to tinker. I found the bullets weighed on the low end at 113.90 grains and on the high end at 116.50 grains. That's an average weight variation of less than +/- 1.5 grains for each bullet.

For comparison, I weighed all the bullets in a case of Berry's Plated 9mm 115-gr PRN bullets, intended for reloaders who by nature aim for precision, and discovered an average weight variation in excess of +/-4.0 grains! (needless to say, I don't use Berry's anymore ;))

This of course is not something one would normally need to worry about or even look into, especially for range ammo, but it shows that the bullets used in UMC 9mm cartridges are made with very good quality control.

I just hate the gunpowder they use....:(

11. unless you want to spend a lot of money, yes, Remington UMC is good. Maintain your weapon properly and you can shoot anything you want out of it. Or you can pay top dollar for Hornady anything.

12. Now what about the Remington umc hollow point? Would you guys trust it as a self defense round?

13. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Never tried it, sorry.

14. BORIS

BORIS New Member

They are my favorite load for my G37 in the 230 load. They are noticeably warmer than anyother 230 in that caliber and are cleaner than Winchester in that caliber.

Bonus is it is cheaper in the GAP than the ACP is, and the ACP is loaded slower. My guess is it's loaded more closely to GAP pressures. Almost every GAP load is throttled down to ACP pressures, not the Rem UMC though....

15. Hamster

Hamster New Member

I had a bad experience with UMC 9mm several years ago and have not bought any since. 2 rounds from the same box had just enough powder in them to firmly lodge the bullet in the barrel of my G19. I'm sure their quality has improved since then but as others have said, they use dirty powder so I still don't buy it.

P.S. It's a little unnerving to have to field strip your gun, drive a stuck bullet out, put it back together, fire 3 more rounds and then have to do it again.

16. I'll keep all that in mind: I just bought two bulk packs of .45 at Walmart the other day.

17. Glock_Guy199

Glock_Guy199 New Member

I haven't had any problems with it.

18. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Lol that's what I just did. Can't find any cheaper anywhere else 85 for 250

19. Glock19

Glock19 New Member

I'm no expert, but it's hard to resist going to Wal-mart for range ammo where 250 9mm UMC rounds are $50 bucks.

20. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

I kno that's why I bought it lol