Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by singyourdeathsong, Jul 13, 2012.

1. singyourdeathsong

singyourdeathsong New Member

A stainless guide rod and a heavier spring and seem like a cheap, easy way to reduce recoil... But what about the weight, is the additional weight worth that reduction in recoil?

2. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

Unless you put it on a scale,I don't think you will ever notice any additional weight.

3. singyourdeathsong

Does the recoil reduction have a noticeable impact?

4. Tape

Tape New Member

I do not even think about it while shooting, I have them on all my Glocks except the G4 17.

5. singyourdeathsong

I'm more concerned about weight when carrying

6. david1962hd

I think it does. To be honest, I really couldn't tell a Huge difference. My opinion or personal preference is that I would rather have stainless steel in there rather than Plastic. Stainless is less likely to fail. I've not had a failure with the plastic one, its just my preference.

7. butcherboy

butcherboy New Member

And who makes the best stainless guide in your opinion? I have been thinking of switching mine out.

8. david1962hd

6 of 1, half a dozen the other, they are all about the same. I ordered mine off of E-Bay with free shipping. $20.00 - $25.00 I think.

9. singyourdeathsong

Ya I was also shopping around on eBay, good deals right now, but I think I might wait until I get that .357 sig barrel to switch out the guide rod, seems like I'll need it a little more then!

10. bjdiaz1

bjdiaz1 New Member

I changed the original recoil spring with the plastic rod with a new one I bought with a SS rod from the GlockStore. My Glock 19C also has a Ghost 3.5 trigger kit (connector and springs). I had not cleaned the gun from my previous trip to the range. When I tested it the rounds would not feed w/o hitting the slide release every time. I cleaned the gun thoroughly and put the old recoil spring with plastic rod back on. I'm eager to get back out to the range to see if this fixed the problem. Anyone has an explanation of what may have happened?

11. Gen4 solves that issue......

sort of. :p;)

12. glocker19

glocker19 New Member

So do u have a g419 9mm?

13. The_BORG

The_BORG Junior Member

A lot of the reviews on GlockStore.com for the tungsten one for the Gen4 talk about a lot of malfunctions. The stainless steel one only has an entire 5 reviews. I think it was 1 out of 5 that had an issue with it.

As a new Glock owner, I've been looking to reduce recoil & muzzle flip. Still on the fence about a replacement RSA.

14. glockzombie

glockzombie New Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Lol just wear the glock spring out then upgrade. The stock glock recoil rod/spring work just as good as anything or they wouldn't come like that. Glock Perfection!!!!

15. bjdiaz1

bjdiaz1 New Member

Finally made it to the range to test the G19C after the issues experienced with the new SS recoil spring/rod. Glad to say all is back to normal with the factory plastic recoil rod. Over 250 rounds w/o a hitch. I haven't put a lot of thought to it yet as to the technical reasons why the Ghost 3.5 Rocket Trigger kit and the SS Competition Recoil Spring for Glocks (Glockstore.com Item# T0653-15 - 15lb Spring 'green') didn't like each other at all in this gun, but it is what it is. I'll just keep a couple of the factory rod/spring handy as spares. Right now I'm extremely happy with the current configuration, paritcularly the light trigger and quick reset. The Titanium pins still slide a bit after a shooting session compared to the originals. (may decide to put the originals back on). No doubt this is a great gun.