Is it legal? Texas Resident

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by Glock817, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Glock817

Glock817 New Member

Hey all, I was looking on these forums but couldn't find what I was looking for. Is it ok to open carry a weapon in your house and answer the door with it? I just ask because I carry in house but never answer the door with it on me because I don't know if I can get in trouble if someone turned me in. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

You really should Google Texas Gun Laws...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas

Castle Doctrine
    On March 27, 2007, Governor Rick Perry signed Senate Bill 378 into law, making Texas a "Castle Doctrine" state which came into effect September 1, 2007.[5] Residents lawfully occupying a dwelling may shoot a person who "unlawfully, and with force, enters or attempts to enter the dwelling", or who removes or attempts to remove someone from that dwelling, or who commits or attempts to commit a "qualifying" felony such as burglary, arson, rape, aggravated assault, robbery or murder. In addition, a shooter who has a legal right to be wherever he/she is at the time of a defensive shooting has no "duty to retreat" before being justified in shooting; the "trier of fact" may not consider whether the person retreated when deciding whether the person was justified in shooting.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

3. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Don't take my word for this, confirm it through Texas law, but if I'm not mistaken, your land is a place where you can open carry. Would your house not be on your land? So standing at the door on your land sounds ok to me. Check on the law though.

4. Glock817

Glock817 New Member

Ok thanks. I do know the castle law which is why I have weapons at home and vehicle I just wasn't sure about open carry on property as it doesn't exactly state that. Now I live in a nice neighborhood and don't really need to carry my weapon while in my yard but I just want to have in sight of solicitors so they know I am protected. The reason why I don't put a "no solicitors" sign on my door is because we have kids who sell things for funds raisers and we love helping them but guys like the one today who showed up looking gangster selling bottles of window cleaner for $40 to save for teens who are changing their lives from drugs make me cautious if they're checking out the neighborhood. That's why I asked but I guess I will stop by the police station and ask them when I get time. Thank you both very much!

5. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

I had the same question but I am from California. I think the castle doctorine applies but don't know if it is brandishing a firearm... I should look more into the law.

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

For what it's worth, in NV it is legal to do so, as long as you do not point the weapon at the guy at the door first thing. Holstered is OK, in your hand and concealed behind your leg is also OK.

I have opened the door on police officers with my '26 in my hand, hidden behind my leg. Shouda seen the look on their faces! Priceless!

7. fls348

fls348 New Member

Missouri is also a Castle Doctrine state and I know it's perfectly fine here, I can't see why Texas would be different.

8. Huskysibe

Huskysibe New Member

Texas
    Yup, like what was said earlier, you may open carry in your house and on your property.