Introducing to the Wife

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by thinkricky, Jun 10, 2012.

1. thinkricky

thinkricky Member Supporter

So my wife is not an anti gun person but she has never fired a gun. I've been trying to get her out to the range but cant find the time since we have 2 boys (4) and (1)

The question is. When we do go out there. How should I introduce it to her so she won't be freaked out and doesn't want to shoot again? Because I have a feeling it may happen.

Any suggestions?

2. thinkricky

Oh and since she has never fired anything she can't understand why I keep buying them. Lol

3. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Ricky what calibers do you have?

4. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I took mine in the middle of the week about 1:00 in the afternoon, the place was almost empty, I went indoors so she had that protection between her and other shooters. She had a LCP, But liked and controlled the full sizeSR9 better. That is where I would start anyone now. The 9 is very mild recoil and very controllable.

5. thinkricky

9mm. 19 & 26. Nothing too heavy.

6. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

K. I would start with the G19. It's doesn't have quite as much felt recoil as the G26. I suggest that you teach her how to safely dry fire at home before going to the range. This would help her get used to the weight of the gun and she will probably be a little calmer on her first try if she is also used to running it - raking the slide, squeezing the trigger. You know, the fundamentals. Like dutchs said, go to the range when you are pretty sure it's going to be fairly empty. Make sure she uses both ear plugs and muffs. The noise can really bother new shooters. I still use that combo at indoor ranges. :) The first time she fires it, I suggest you only put one round in the magazine. This way if she drops it, etc. you are both safe.

Is there anyway you can borrow or rent a .22? This might be an even better option for her first time.

7. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Find a club nearby that puts on the NRAs' "Women on Target" program and sign her up with her permission. She'll fall head over heels most likely and all you had to do was drop her off and pick her up.

Many small cal guns (but guns of all sizes) and all women teaching women. Targets are set very close for instant gradification!

You won't regret it.

8. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

+1 on what G-23 said. If one is available in your area. I hope our ladies group can start offering these on a regular basis at our club soon.

9. Caseyglock19

Caseyglock19 New Member

my girl wasn't anti gun but after letting her shoot my 38 special and g 17& g19 she loves it. She is now a member on here! Be careful, your ammo is now 'our' ammo.lol

10. I agree with G-23 & GA.
    If there is any apprehension in her mind about shooting, putting her on the range with no spectators will help alleviate that issue. Each time she’ll gain confidence and with that confidence you’ll spend more money on ammo, as was stated – “your ammo becomes our ammo”. But its all worth it IMO.

11. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I have taught hundreds of Women to shoot and If it were me I would start with a 22. If you don't have one you should buy one anyway. Every household NEEDS a 22! I find that Women shooters will want to progress to larger calibers after shooting a 22 and then ease them into the 9's but getting the fundamentals down in the beginning with a 22 can make all the difference in the world. I believe ALL of us can benefit from shooting 22's. For a first carry gun don't ASSUME what she will like. Let her shoot a number of guns to see what she likes, not what you think she will like. After she shoots a 22 for a while take her to a range that rents guns. (I have a large array of guns available from my own to close personal friends) and let her shoot different guns. Obviously stay around the glocks but she might want something else that fits her. My Wife carries a 642 S&W 38. It is a Good gun and I am working on her for a G19. I am just about there:D The 642 will not go to waste as I like carrying it as a second gun in my front left pocket!

12. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

I completely agree with sgtcowboy on this! Great advice.

13. annieoh

annieoh New Member

I liked starting out on 22 when it didnt jam. Wasn't as intimidating. I tried 380 but i cudn't manage to confiscate it from boyfriend. Rented 9mm ruger it was ok. Recoil was the most important factor in upgrading since i dont hav alot of strength. I found the 26 to be very comfortable to shoot w/ little recoil. As far as cocking gun, 1 tip i was given was to hold barrel and push gun forward which works quite nicely.

14. jclinebell1

jclinebell1 New Member

Well my girlfriend did not like guns, but her brother and I convinced her to go to the range. We started her on a Springfield armory .45. She really liked it. She also shot modified AR-15 that shot .22 which she liked and a regular AR-15 .223. I suggest .22 caliber gun its easy to shoot, low recoil and not that loud. Then you could move up to higher calibers.

15. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

This is Good Info! but just for clarification you hold the slide and push the gun forward.:D As you work the muscles it will become easier to "Rack" the slide the proper way. I suggest you do it several times a night and it will not take long to be able to do it well!

16. annieoh

annieoh New Member

Lol yup thats what i meant

17. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Wife had the same issues. In a month, it went away with a little practice.