indoor paper vs outdoor steel

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by G22GEN4, Mar 29, 2012.

1. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Which do you prefer & why?

2. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

I have never shot steel outdoors, only plinked. Not because I don't like shooting steel, but because I've never been to an outdoor range. I sooo wanna shoot some steel. I love the outdoors & the sound of lead meeting steel. I don't mind shooting paper at all. I like the big bang of shooting inside, especially when weathers bad. I live in the suburbs now so I can't just go outside n start shooting lol. I think I would outdoor steel more than indoor paper simply because at an indoor range u are extremely limited as far as distance, caliber allowed to be shot, type of ammo etc. I think paper is fair for begging shooters for shot placement, or any shooter for ccw. I just wanna shoot outdoors & be as free as possible. I need land lol

3. I've never shot steel before, since I live in the city. I've only shot indoors. I see all these videos with people shooting steel and it looks like alot of fun!!!

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Most of my pistol / revolver shooting takes place indoors. Paper is fine...

But when I bring out the rifles...give me at least 100 yards to ring steel !!

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Paper indoors or outdoors, steel outdoors only.

Coupla years ago I took the family out shooting with some other families who are friends of ours, and I set up a 3-target steel PISTOL resetting target about 40 feet downrange. While we (me and the kids) were reloading our pistol mags on the truck's tailgate, one of the guests of one of the families with us decided to try his accuracy on it...with a .223! Drilled holes in the target, and the copper jacket from one of the bullets zinged back at us and landed on my daughter's left arm and burned thru the skin. No amount of gels or lotions could make the scar go away. Man, he was so apologetic and scared (probably thought I'd shoot him), but I told my daughter it's up to her. She chose to forgive him on the spot, as long as he learns his lesson: no rifle fire on PISTOL targets.

6. EvilD

EvilD New Member

shootig steel is good fun, hard, fut good fun. You should see if there are any Steel Challanges in you area http://steelchallenge.com/

7. Ryan92

Ryan92 New Member

I absolutely love shooting steel, especially the dueling trees and spinners. We have "All Steel" matches around here, fun times!

8. bfish

bfish Member

When I shoot I am usually shooting steel. It is nice because I'm shooting a small plate that would fit in center mass so good for practice and you don't have to wonder if you hit like paper when there are many holes because there is a nice confirmation ring to let you know. And if you are concerned about where you're "grouping" shots just throw some spray paint on it and shoot. Which can be done as much as you want with zero wait time and then you will be able to see the impact perfectly:) I love steel but as stated there is nothing wrong with paper, it can be nicer if you have a few off shots then you can see where they hit rather then a dust cloud in a berm

9. Since I do have my own private outdoor range with all steel targets, I refuse to shoot paper indoors. I don't care how bad the weather is. I can't stand being so limited to one lane. All of the targets on my range are 4, 6 and 8" with a couple of 10" at multiple various distances with the exception of one upper body silhouette and I have more steel to cut out for more silhouetts. I'm not a bulls eye shooter so if I can move side to side, turn left to right, walk around, change distance at a moments notice and still stay with in those 4,6, 8 and 10" which would be the size of a chest cavity I feel like I stand a WAY better chance of defending myself against one or multiple attackers if the need ever arises. I just don't see practicing indoors on a single lane giving one a very good advantage on multiple targets. The way the targets are mounted on my range they are very reactive and there's no resetting of targets ever or wearing them out. Only thing you have to do is hit them with some paint every few hundred rounds and you are good to go.

I'm a steel ringing junkie. I'm completely addicted to the ring.

10. teksid

teksid Well-Known Member

My indoor range(Bud's) has reactive steel targets.There's something about the sound of metal hitting metal.I'm addicted to it.

11. fls348

fls348 New Member

There is NOTHING better than shooting steel........well maybe a zombie

I have a range set up on my property down in the country with 14 steel plates and some paper target stands. I head down most every weekend and shoot a little. There's nothing like the sound of steel ringing when you hit it, the instant feedback is awesome!

12. Tough to judge grouping on steel so I prefer paper with my hand guns. A rifle needs steel or what I generally do with a rifle is shoot at shotgun shells... Something about hitting the primer on a shotgun shell from 100" just feels good.

13. fls348

fls348 New Member

I'm less interested in groupings, I have 8" plates if I'm hitting them under a timer then I'm more than happy. Typically from 10yds with a par time of 2.5 seconds we'll fire from the holster two rounds, and then repeat. Then mix it up from there.

I teach from the school of; If your grouping are nice and small at 10yds, your shooting way to slow.

14. P35

P35 New Member

reactive steel is great fun, at my range it takes a good center mass hit to knock them over with 9MM

15. cutlass327

cutlass327 New Member

Fls348: that sounds to me that you aren't worried about control, more about speed. I personally would rather only get a few good shots in and put them down than fill them with my whole mag as fast as I can and hope they all hit target. Something about that phrase just doesn't sound right.

16. bfish

bfish Member

Well put mike p! And voodoo I totally agree on shooting the shotgun shells that's also my favorite rifle target

17. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Well frickin said.

18. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I like steel, and I like paper. Steel is for fun, and paper is for accuracy.

For fun accuracy, I use Tannerite (the 1/2 lb canisters mixed and set on their sides offer a 3" wide target at 50 feet or beyond).

Never tried shooting at shotgun shells....hmmmm.....may try that this weekend....

19. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I shoot at shotgun shells with my pistol lol. Talk about a challenge. A fun game my friends and I play is throwing spent shotgun shells in the lake next to where we shoot and try to sink the shotgun shells! Try it, it is fun.

Also, shooting steel is awesome. There's something about the ping it makes, and it is tons of fun.

20. After watching Top Shot this past week I wanna try the paint can full of water deal with an empty one one top... does that count as steel?