Indiana's new "Guns at work" law

Discussion in 'Second Amendment & Legal' started by Sarabian, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

Does anyone else have a similar law to this one?

Here is the bill as it passed:
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/IN/IN0411.1.html

Basically it says that an employer is not allowed to ask if you have a weapon in your vehicle. There were issues about being getting fired because they had a legal firearm on the company property (parking lot). Now an employer is no longer allowed to ask or take action about weapons in the vehicle.

Opinions?

2. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Active Member

Sounds like a great bill :)
    I'll have to look into Arizona law to see if they have something similar.

3. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Yea i was woundering about it cuz i leave my gun in my car at work...

4. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

In the words of a great philosopher "Don't start none, won't be none."

In some states, the vehicle is an extension of your home. Thus, you will not be in trouble for having one in your car...EXCEPT at schools (read college campus here).

5. Texas passed a law this year preventing business from preventing firearms in their parking lot. What the issue really had to with was 'liability' and the law effectively protected property owners from any liability. Now my work rules are that the gun MUST be concealed in the vehicle (completely out of site). Suits me just fine, now it's actually convenient to goto the range after work.

Additionally, Texas had a law about a loaded firearm in the passenger compartment, but only if the traveler was traveling through at least 3 counties. That law was so hard to enforce/interpret that it was outright changed this year. Any legal gun owner in Texas can drive with a fully loaded weapon in the passenger compartment without a CCW. Which is awesome.

Now I just need to get my CCW someday soon.

6. Wade

Wade New Member

That's awesome. I have noticed a few good things coming out of Texas (gun related anyway) lately. Almost makes me want to move back to Texas.

7. Don't forget the Castle Doctrine and The Right Of Fresh Pursuit...

Texas criminals are either really stupid or have zero options, because the risk is just too high.

8. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

they passed a Bill in Georgia, 2006 I believe, that was overarching. Your car is your property and as long as you are licensed, you may keep it anywhere in your car. If you are unlicensed you can keep it in plain view or concealed completely separated from the ammo.

9. jeremydavis

jeremydavis New Member

This is great!! I live in Indiana and had no idea. How this slipped past me I'll never no. Thanks for the info!!

10. PatriotMom

PatriotMom New Member

From what I'm reading it sounds like a lot if you don't carry at work. If you don't, why is that? It seems like the right to self-protection shouldn't end just because you're on someone else's clock.

11. jeremydavis

jeremydavis New Member

Ya I bet crazy people that go postal would think twice if they new they could get shot back at.

12. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

Florida has the same law, but I carry mine IWB all the time (with exception to the handful of legally noted no carry locations). I'm more afraid to leave it in the car and come out to find its been stolen than I am about getting fired for having it on my person.

13. I used to work for a private ambulance company and even though the company policy was clear as day against weapons, I would put my G36 (what I had at the time) in the holster and put it in my bag that I carried with me that had my side job stuff in it that I worked on while posted around Indianapolis. I felt safer with my gun in my bag than I did before I got my carry permit.

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

In Nevada, a handgun can be kept in a car or other conveyance (including, say, a pouch on a wheelchair), loaded, with a round in the chamber, anywhere in the state without a CCW permit, EXCEPT when on the premises of a school, library, day care facility, government building (post office, courthouse, airport, the usual places), AND on Tribal Land. A firearm cannot be taken onto Tribal Land.

In regards to private property, Nevada gives discretionary powers to the PROPERTY OWNER. A CCW permittee is allowed to ignore "no-gun" signs on all private property, but must immediately leave when asked to (otherwise it is misdemeanor trespass). As a right-to-work state, terms of employment proscribing a firearm on the premises is a matter between you and your employer: break the rules and you are fired. So let's say you work for a no-gun employer that is leasing office space (and therefore parking lot space, as well). You can legally have and leave in your vehicle a loaded firearm, because your employer is not the property owner. If, however, there is a stipulation in the lease contract banning firearms on the premises between the property owner and your employer, then your employer is acting on behalf of and respresentative of the property owner, and again you have not broken any law (except trespass if they ask you to leave and you refuse, like if they fire you). Of course, the whole point of a concealed weapon is that nobody sees it until you need to use it.

Nevada law also states that in the event of legal use of deadly force to prevent a felony from being committed or to protect yourself or another person/s from a deadly force threat readily capable of being carried out, the lesser charge of possession of a firearm where prohibited shall be dismissed. You have no protection against removal from employment due to your violation of your terms of employment.

By the way, these only cover legal possession if either a CCW permittee or over 21 and not a felon. Felon in possession is a different story altogether.

Best move: no-show, no-foul.

15. favbal

favbal New Member

TX SB321 was signed by the Governor on 6-17-11 and became effective last year beginning on 9-1-11. Also worth reading, HB 681.

There are some Exceptions So you need to read and make sure where you are protected. The law also defined premises. Therefore rendering their no weapons on company premises useless because it stipulated employer's parking lots are not considered part of the "premises". Do make sure it is Your personal locked vehicle where the gun is stored on employer's parking lots.
    Also, In Texas you are within the law if you carry a gun in your personal vehicle and it is not visible and it was extended to a boat/pwc as long as it is out of sight as well. So if you are stopped by the law enforcement and they get a glimpse of the gun you are in BIG trouble. So make sure you just don't put it, for instance, under the car seat and it slides forward when you stop and the officer sees it.

16. devildog80

devildog80 New Member

Can someone please explain fresh pursuit as it applies to Texas residents? This is a new term for me. Thanks.

17. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Welcome Devildog!! Enjoy the forum! If you can get over to the Introduction maybe you could tell us a little about you and your Glocks? If you want. ENJOY!

18. runman

runman New Member

Thank you happysniper for your comprehensive answer. As a fellow Nevadan it gets old just reading the books all the time so I appreciate you putting it out there.

19. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

For reference only:

That actually links to the introduced version of 2011 IN S 411. The version of the bill as passed was the enrolled version, which became SEA 411 with merely administrative amendments. The summary of the original bill remains intact. It became IN Public Law 17 with an effective date of July 1, 2011.

ENR: http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/SE/SE0411.1.html / http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/PDF/SE/SE0411.1.pdf

IN PL 17-2011: http://www.in.gov/legislative/pdf/acts_2011.pdf (click on "17" to take you to p.222 in the PDF)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  20. Florida has a statute for that too. As long as your work isn't a school or other place that is nationally prohibited, no employer or business owner can legally prevent a employee or customer from keeping their firearm in their car out of plain sight. As your car is an extension of your property.