I'm shooting low to the left HELP!!

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by Dboyce12, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

I'M VERY NEW TO SHOOTING PERIOD an all my shots are going low to the left! Is it the gun or is it something I'm doing wrong! An its the glock 22

ForumRunner_20120209_225141.jpg

2. It's very difficult to diagnose the problem by proxy but you are likely anticipating recoil and pushing the gun down unintentionally. On the other hand, there are probably 20 different reasons you could be doing it. It's most likely not the gun.

3. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Yeah I kinda figured it wasn't the gun. I bought it brand new. Do you have any pointers on how to help with the anticipation thing?

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

[​IMG]
    This should help

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Anticipation usually results in a high hit, but I've seen people who jerk down in anticipation.

In my experience the best way to get over anticipation is to shoot the heck out of a 22lr pistol. The lack of recoil will help to get over the problem.

6. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Okay cool thanks. I prolly should of went with a glock .40 for my very first gun lol

7. Redhawk41mag

Redhawk41mag New Member

I find when a student shoots low left, the act of pinching the grip with the ring/pinky finger is happening. I always offer this lil option. As you wrap your left hand around your right {or visa versa depending on strong hand} push the pistol into the overlapping hand with your strong hand and pull slightly with the oustide hand. Ive found, more times than not this takes the pressure off the strong hand fingers while still having total control of your pistol.

Give that a try and lemme know if it works for you...

8. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

So hold tighter with my left hand and loosen up on my right hand?

9. Few more possibilities:

Right handed
    Poor trigger finger placement: too little finger on the trigger and you'll push the gun left.
    Poor trigger pull: are you curling your finger around the trigger as you squeeze? Try pulling your trigger finger straight back not around it.

If you're left handed:
    Poor trigger finger: too much on the trigger, you could be pulling the gun left.

Your support hand might not be firm enough.

Your finger, hand and arm muscles might be too taught, need to relax or the strain on the muscles will cause you to tighten up more cause poor control through the trigger pull and recoil, causing a twist.

10. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Thanks man I really appreciate it!! Can't wait to get bk to the range! I'll try all of these different recommendations. I don't wanna look too bad. What's a good distance to start out with?

11. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Yeah! I am using my first joint to pull the trigger.

12. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

Thanks man! They seem like they will be a big help

13. Hamster

Hamster New Member

My .40 has a kind of sharp recoil and I discovered I was over compensating which caused my shots to be low left. A friend showed me this method and once I got the hang of it, I started deleting bullseyes from my targets.

14. All the experts and wanna-be experts say that most self defense gunfights happen within 20 or so feet (7 yards).

Start with 3 yards, keep the group tight, then move to 5 then 7. Don't waste ammo on anything beyond 7 if you can't poke holes where you're aiming yet.

Simple geometry says that the farther you are from your target, the same degree of error will miss the target by even more.

15. I mentioned that 'expert' comment because I've never seen the statistics myself, but it's sounds reasonable.

16. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Agree with this

17. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

What does he mean by pushing it into my overlapping hand. And pull with that hand? Like pull it back towards you? So it doesn't flip?

18. Think "push out" with strong hand, and "pull in" with covering hand. Push/pull, but don't strain your muscles, firm but don't tire yourself out (when the fine control muscles are tired, no amount of grip changes will help).