Glock Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will anyone From Illinois share how they drive with they're firearm? I want to start keeping a glock27 in my SUV with me just incase I ever need it. Life or death situation, that is all, and also want it on me when I come home late at night after work. And don't really want to ask an officer because they usually give you that look and become weary, especially because I am younger (28) and have a lot of tattoos (no gang related tattoos though). I hate that stuff.
But I don't want to break the law. What is the best way to keep it in my SUV? And be able to get to it legally as quick as possible. I have it in a holster inside of a zippered gun sleeve locked and no mag in it as of now. Placed in the back of my SUV in a storage compartment on the floor. And the two mags are loaded in the glove box locked also. Thank you very much for your input to whoever comments on this. Hopefully some Chicago and Illinois officers can comment so I can get their opinions also. I am able to legally own firearms also. Should've mentioned that first.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
As a frequent driver through IL (no short either, 72 to 55, 55 to 80, 80 to 94) I have two responses.

For keeping it in the vehicle that one is fairly simple, just put the ammo in the glove box and put the gun in a case in the trunk. Now me personally I put a cable lock through the gun when in IL. That is the only place my gun ever sees a cable lock. Now I'm not 100% on what the laws in IL say for transport, but I'm almost positive they require it to be point A to B with no stops. So you will be skating the line here, but should be ok.

The second questions is a very simple answer: it's completely illegal to have it on you, and there is no legal way you will get around this. Scenario one is the only legal way to transport in IL. That said, if I were you, here is how I would do it:

Get a small keypad safe and mount it to the floor under the driver seat in a manner that you can punch in the code. A key safe with the key left in is fine, as long as you pull that key out should you ever get pulled over. Now when I say mount the safe I mean just that. Take the seat out and bolt that SOB into the floor so that it becomes a legal and physical part of the vehicle. Throw the loaded (if it was me, condition 1) gun in that safe at night.

NOW the big question becomes, what do I do if pulled over? You have two options, and neither are good because lets face it, we were hoping to never be pulled over in this situation. You can disclose that you have a firearm, and tell them where. This will set a lot of cops off. Or option two, my likely choice, is to not say a damn thing about the gun and if they ask, lie. The bottom line is the gun is in a locked safe affixed to the vehicle and they cannot look in there without permission, which you never give them, or a warrant.

The saying is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. The question is if this is important enough to you to risk that. Lucky for you most citizens of IL are dead set against the gun laws and you will probably walk.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
The only time I have my firearm on me is in my range bag in my trunk when I go to the range. It sounds like your trying to conceal carry in your car. I think you are walking a fine line in my opinion.

How are you going to explain that you just so happened to have your firearm in your car?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The gun can be loaded but cannot be in your immediate area or within reach, hence why a lot will say they transport with weapon in trunk.

·
Banned
767 Posts
+1 for Nukin's response, living in the chicago suburbs, any time I go to the range or drive anywhere with my gun, I have ammo in the glove box, and my gun in the trunk with a cable lock through it as well. or if I dont want to have the ammo in the glove box, I have a ammo can from cabelas that has a spot for a lock on it, and I put it all in the trunk, there is normally no reason for a police officer to search your car, so out of sight, and you should be ok. Hope that helped.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Just asking a question but since the OP wants to have it "just in case" don't you think it will take to long to undo the lock and slide a mag in and go? When things can happen in a split second?

·
Hard Work! Dedication!
4,537 Posts
Im going to Chicago next weekend for a wedding and am still up in the air how to transport it.
One of the last times I was there, my cousin was shot right next to me. One in the neck, one in the lower back and two in the arm. He survived, neck and back were in and out, his arm broke but the bullets didn't exit.
It was Halloween, 2005? 2006?, and we were having an egg war with the neighborhood kids and some Guy came out an alley and started shooting. So its a rough area where I will be.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Im going to Chicago next weekend for a wedding and am still up in the air how to transport it.
One of the last times I was there, my cousin was shot right next to me. One in the neck, one in the lower back and two in the arm. He survived, neck and back were in and out, his arm broke but the bullets didn't exit.
It was Halloween, 2005? 2006?, and we were having an egg war with the neighborhood kids and some Guy came out an alley and started shooting. So its a rough area where I will be.
Damn… Heck of a story you got there...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Support Gunner said:
Just asking a question but since the OP wants to have it "just in case" don't you think it will take to long to undo the lock and slide a mag in and go? When things can happen in a split second?
I understand that fully, I always thought of that too, figured it was pointless to do so because would I have the time. But after everything going on around here, Chicago and surrounding suburbs, I would rather have somewhat access to it. "I want to wake up after I go to sleep"

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Mine has spent a fair amount of time in the safe exactly as i said when in Chicago. Anywhere else in IL it's in the trunk.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I work in Illinois but live in Indiana so I drive there every day and I was told as long as your firearm is unloaded in a lockable box then you are ok. It doesn't even have to be locked just lockable and not in direct acess to the drive ie you. So something like a glovebox is ok. This came from an FBI agent in champagne about two years ago... but then I hear this other stuff and it sounds way more strict. I've just always been a in the trunk guy if I happen to take it over for some reason. But I honestly feel like it comes down to the individual enforcing the law.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts