Illinois and their law against concealed carry

Discussion in 'Second Amendment & Legal' started by The_Nite_Rider, Jan 23, 2012.

1. The_Nite_Rider

The_Nite_Rider New Member

I live in NW Indiana(about an hour and a half SE of Chicago), so I hear a lot of Illinois and Chicago politics. Unfortunately.

One thing in particular I dislike, is their law against concealed carry. Yes, I don't like bad people carrying guns, but that law isn't going to stop them from being bad. It's hurting the good people who follow the laws.

For example, I occasionally will ride along and help out my uncle, who is a recovery agent(or "repo" guy). I didn't exactly feel comfortable when we took a trip to Chicago to repo some cars, only carrying a can of mace. And we don't always repo in the nicest areas, either.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Illinois is now the only state with that law. Maybe if I didn't live so close to the state, I might not care, but it is a pain in the butt whenever I cross the border.

2. Last I checked, CCW or not, its illegal for a tow truck driver or reposession agent to carry a firearm in Indiana, let alone IL even if they did have a CCW. Most states prohibit it.

I dont agree with it, but I have done my share of repo's and last I recall it was illegal in IND.

3. The_Nite_Rider

My uncle has had the police called on him numerous times from idiot debtors, and has had no problems. If he wont carry in Illinois, and if it was illegal in Indiana, I highly doubt he would carry at all. Or maybe he is lucky.

4. While, technically speaking, Illinois is the only state without some kind of provision to enable it's citizens to carry a concealed firearm, it's certainly not the only statre in which ordinary law abiding citizens are unable to carry. Many states, such as California, New York, New Jersey, and others are "may issue" states meaning that even if one were to meet all the requirements of obtaining a concealed carry permit, they still ight not get one. The issuing of permits in those states is up to a person (sheriff, judge, etc) deciding whether you need a permit or not.

5. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I'll be in Indiana this summer, by way of going through Illinois. I'm not liking the idea I can't carry there either. I can put my Glock in my gun locker then get it out when I get to Indiana, but be my luck I'll forget I have it on when I leave Indiana!!!

6. I drive through IL a lot, trust me you won't forget.

7. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I'll be on two wheels. Not looking forward to it with out my Glock. I won't be alone but still its nice to have my friend Glock and Hornady with me too!!!

8. My dad went down on his Hayabusa once, for his comfort he had the G19 under the hump. Good thing it was locked, because some jerk off jumped on the bike while he was down and tried to ride off with it. Since dad was DOC (considered LE in NJ) the guy went to jail for felony possession of a law enforcement firearm, even though he didn't know it was there.

Just an example of being separated from the gun when riding a bike. I suggest a fork-mounted Manodknock Baton.

9. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

Last year I was in Chicago, on the bike. I left my knife at home the last think I want is to be that far from home and get the 5th degree. I don't think a Manodknock Baton would even be allowed.

10. The best way to deal with Chicago is... stay out!

11. Hadn't really thought of that. I'm not leaving my knife at home for anything.

12. TouchMyGlock

TouchMyGlock New Member

I live in Illinois and I just leave the loaded magazine next to the gun in my glove box, it's legal like that. As long as it is unloaded, and in a case (glove box/center council counts as a case) then you have no problems. You can read about this on the Illinois state police website. Not sure Chicago will allow that though...

13. Chicago will give you crap, but I can tell you from experience that the rule is the same. Usually these days I toss it in the safe under the drivers seat loaded and all, because they aint going in my safe.

14. The_Nite_Rider

I definitely agree.

15. TouchMyGlock

TouchMyGlock New Member

That's a good idea, they need a search warrant to get in that safe, right?

16. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I carry mace in my left Cut pocket, and a stun gun in the right. My knife with the spring assist is clipped to my left pocket, If I have to reach for it I don't want someone to say I was reaching for my gun. But you know the old saying never bring a knife to a knife fight!

17. Yes the center console by the supreme court is consider a "case" but it is not consider a case by the game laws. Thus your breaking the law in the game laws eyes.

You can read it here at the bottom of page 2: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  18. Correct. As soon as they get to the car I tell them I have a concealed pistol license in another state, and that I am transporting my handgun in a locked safe in the vehicle. 99% of the time, that is all they need. I had one try to be clever and told me he needed to check the serial number. I took out my wallet and handed him the copy of the purchase permit I always carry, and said here ya go.

19. rangvx

rangvx New Member

I live in this town and had not even heard of this incident ,