IDPA Comp

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by CJKOLCUN, Feb 15, 2012.

1. CJKOLCUN

CJKOLCUN New Member

How many shoot in the IDPA. I would like to start but not to sure how? How many rounds do you take to the match? It looks like fun and a great way to train with your carry gear.

2. Redhawk41mag

Redhawk41mag New Member

From their site...

"IDPA matches typically require the use of a service type pistol or revolver of 9mm/.38 special or lager caliber. If your handgun is suitable for self-defense use, it will probably be competitive for IDPA matches. Practical concealed carry type holsters are stipulated for IDPA use. A common service pistol or revolver such as a Beretta 92F, Glock 17/22, Sig 226, Colt 1911A1, S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100 carried in a common pancake style holster is all that is needed to be competitive in IDPA matches."

Id make sure to have at least 4 mags.

3. Only 2 are needed for each course of fire. A third would be helpful for loading +1 prior to beginning each COF.

More mags mean less reloading on site, but you will have enough time to reload and chat with others...

4 is recommended for GSSF however.

(I recently shot an unsanctioned IDPA comp: RO's were more lenient since there were alot of newbs (like me) and scores weren't registered with IDPA, we shot 6 COF, 14 rounds or less each, less than 100 rounds needed).

4. CJKOLCUN

CJKOLCUN New Member

Thanks for the info guys.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Shot my first IDPA match last week. Here is how I did it:

The match was sponsored by a local gun club. You can join the match for $20 signup feel, or join the club for an additional $10 and shoot other matches for only $10. I joined the club.

Had my G26 with three 10+2 mags and two G17 mags (17 rnd cap), only to be told I can have as many magazines as I want but with only 10 rounds in each except for the first set in each course of fire. In other words, at the start of each stage the pistol is empty; when instructed, I insert my first mag with 11 rounds in it, and charge the weapon. All other mags have only 10 rounds each. I also had 200 more rounds in plastic ammo boxes, all of it 9mm 115 grain ball. (see note below)

Some basic rules were: draw from concealed holster, spare magazines any way you want them (I use poly twin mag holders). When firing, shoot until empty, drop magazine and insert fresh mag. It is OK to drop an EMPTY magazine on the ground. It is a sin to drop a magazine with live ammo on the ground. They will tell you all about safe direction, the 180-degree rule, and use of cover (you cannot expose more than 50% of your body). You then walk up to P1 (position-1, the starting position), and it begins. You will need to move positions and engage a variety of targets at different angles, but you will not need to run a marathon to do it.

We shot 6 Stages (i.e., scenarios), one shooter at a time. Each stage has a "story" that explains the layout of the bad guys and any good guys in the field of fire. Accuracy is better than speed. I only ran a couple of times, mostly I went at a fast crouching walk with weapon in modified weaver. Course of Fire will stipulate how many rounds on each target, and where, and to engage targets in a specific sequence. If the COF requires 2 to the chest, you can continue to engage that same target unti you are satisfied you have 2 in an 8- or 9-inch circle in center mass. Same with required headshots. I screwed the pooch on this, going with my training, and having the "two required to the chest" sink into my head deeper than the "keep shooting until you are satisfied" part. The closer you are to the center, the better your score. I had a couple outside the center circle, and they scored lower than "bullseye". I was dinged one "failure to neutralize" because the COF on one stare required 2 to the head...my first hit was dead center on the bridge of the nose, next hit was on the ear, and was not counted, hence I failed to kill the badguy. That gave me a time penalty, damn!

You may be instructed to engage targets in what is called "tactical engagement"....say there are 3 targets, the COF will call for one headshot to each in tactical engagement, then return to first target and give 2 to the chest plus 1 to the head (this is where I got my FTN penalty). So call 'em T1, T2, T3 for the targets. As you begin firing, shoot once each to the head T1, then T2, then T3, then go back to T1, give 2 to the chest and 1 to the head in any order, and repeat for T2 and T3.

When done, immediately remove your magazine (DO NOT DROP IT TO THE GROUND if it has live ammo in it! That's a penalty). The timekeeper will say "unload and show empty" at which point you rack the slide back and show him the chamber is empty. He will say "slide" so you drop the slide (and I always point "safe direction, which is abour 45* angle down not to my feet) and he will say "hammer", you pull the trigger (if the gun goes off, it's a DQ and you go home) and then holster your pistol.

Some stages (scenarios), you have sought cover behind a wall (the stage will have wood frames with either cardboard as the "wall" or some sort of barrier), and as you peek around the edge in search of the badguys you engage them as you see them. I had 2 badguys, one near the wall one further out, but as I looked around the corner I saw the further badguy first to engaged him, then saw the closer one and engaged that next. That is how you are supposed to do it.

Some stages will have noncombatants (civilians) in them, and this is where I got another ding on my score. NEVER SHOOT THE CIVILIANS OR THE HOSTAGE! On a swinger, a nontarget was pivoting from the 9 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position, with 4 badguys behind the target: two poppers (steel plates that fall when hit) and two silhoutte badguys. Take cover behind the wall (in this case, I was entering my home, so sought cover behind the door jamb) and engage the forst 4 targets. One bullet hit that damned swinging goodguy, so I got penalized big time for that. Now I know better.

Another scenario had two badguys taking one hostage each. The noncombatant silhoutte covers the target silhoutte, all you got is a head shot. Be very, very, very sure of your aim before firing.

All in all, it was a lot of fun, and the guys I was shooting with (whom I had not met until that morning) were all friendly and supportive of the "newbie", even though I was probably older than a lot of them. There was no criticism of my choice of handgun or ammo. I guess they assumed I knew what I was about, since none of them tried to give advice on positioning my gun and magazine holsters and so on. But I know had I asked for advice, any of these guys would have been more than willing to give a few tips and tricks.

They did give me one tip that I, sadly, failed to heed: keep engaging the target until you are satisfied with your points of impact. If the COF said 2 to the chest, I fired 2 and moved on to the next target.

*NOTE* I was expecting only paper targets, so I loaded my ammunition with 115 grain plated lead bullets, with powder loads near the low end for better recoil control. One of the popper plates, I hit but it did not fall. The guys gave me score for it, but it could have been scored as a failure to neutralize. Next time, I will load 124 grain bullets!

My final scoring, I came in 4th out of 6 in my category, and I was the only first-timer in the set. I know I will do better in my next IDPA match, and I know I will enjoy both it and the guys I will be shooting with. You are not competing against them, you are competing against yourself, to see how good you can become.

Now, understand that IPSC has different rules than IDPA. I will try that next, and then the GSSF in 2 months!

Have fun!

6. What was the 'story' on the swinging target? We're the BGs juggling a newborn baby?

My IDPA-like experience was extremely similar, just without poppers, moving targets or storylines.

Shoot what you see first for 'tactical', or shoot what you're told to shoot first, or shoot whichever is in the fastest order possible, with instructions on the positioning of the shots (body or head, single or double tap).

There were 37 shooters, most have shot at least once before, and I shot in the middle overall (20) because at first I was more worried about accuracy and shot slow, then when I figured out the scoring I rushed a few shots and had some FTNs and missed shots. As well, I didn't think about 'fastest transition ordering' for the first few non-tactical COFs... Figured that one out on my own too.

I look forward to doing it again. I liked the practical nature, I'm not a bullseye/10 ring kind of shooter.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

It has been proposed that a Competition sub-forum be started to host these discussions...

I'm standing by for the reply...

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Supposedly, in the kitchen a family member (wife?) was held by 4 BGs, when I openend the door, she broke free and was rushing towards me. That was the swinging silhoutte.

The stage I liked the best (and did the best in) was Stage-6.

There are a row of plastic barrels, supposed to be your car. You are standing outside your car, cellphone in weak hand, strong hand on roof of car, reporting a road rage incident to police. The 3 gangbangers exit the other vehicle and advance on you.

Drop the cellphone (a wood block), draw weapon while seeking cover behind your car, move to front (engine compartment as "cover") and engage 3 targets 10, 15, and 25 feet away in tactical engagement, 2 to the chest + 2 to the head, without exposing yourself to enemy fire.

That would be a stellar idea, especially if we can include pics as well!

9. Indeed. I was going to ask for a GSSF forum, but not sure if GSSF and competition shooting wouldn't go well together after all.

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

If you're shooting a Glock, be it GSSF, IDPA, IPSC/USPSA, they are all different flavors of the same thing, right?

11. Shooter4265

Shooter4265 New Member

I just started shooting IDPA with a Glock 26. Although it does the job, I take penalty points on long shots protected by cover hostages. For this reason I just used this year's GSSF discount to purchase a 34. With up to 25 yard shots, I feel this will help me to be competitive.

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I've used and will continue to use mg G26 for my next matches (IDPA in March and Aprl, GSSF in May). I'll just load heavier bullets with hotter loads than the last time.