Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have advice to what I should do besides just apply thanx oh by the way California sheriffs

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
Don't commit any crimes beforehand lol. And move to another state so you don't have to enforce California's dumb gun laws and such. Lol j/k man, but good luck!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Watch out for all those [email protected]#$%&* California hippies!!:p Just kidding... There are some very wise current and former LEO's on this forum. I'm sure they have some excellent advice. Give them some time to respond. Good luck and thank you in advance for your service. Not everyone is cut out to be a "Sheepdog"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't work in California, but I am LE in Arizona. The best advice I can give is do not try to make yourself look better than you are. Any change from the truth is a lie. Answer everything truthfully, do your best, and don't just quit jobs or get sued in the meantime. Some departments take the time to check if you are financially responsible. Other than that if you have specific questions feel free to ask.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Always be fair, firm, and consistent. Don't change your initial answer in any of the pre-employment interviews. Don't lie about anything. Workout, workout, workout. Get to know somebody in the recruitment division. It took me 5 years to get on somewhere after I turned 21. I got on with the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office when I was 26. Last May I finally graduated college with a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice Administration. One of my professors was the Case Management Coordinator at the Federal Transfer Center here in OKC. In July, the FTC contacted me about joining them and in September I did. So a long story short. It's what you know and who you know that will get you the job.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
14,133 Posts
Welcome to the Glock Forum zachG23 !!

Know the law...be fair and consistent with the application of same...go home alive at the end of your shift !!

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Honest, consistent, thorough, professional dress, yes/no sir/ma'm, shaved and clean, exercise a few times a week = success.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Get into the best physical shape you can. It will come in handy.

·
Registered
467 Posts
When i applied a hundred years ago, a degree in criminal justice was a plus. Also, if you were in the military, it moved you up in stature, at least to the Police and Fire commission. Complete candor in written exam, application and psyc exam. I know a number of candidates that were dismissed because of inconsistencies.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Is there any prerequisites needed?

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
nukinfuts29 said:
that depends entirely on the department.
Do most require a college degree or can I with out one simply apply and is there even a chance that I would get in with no degree

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
glocknloaded said:
Do most require a college degree or can I with out one simply apply and is there even a chance that I would get in with no degree
Most don't "require" a college degree, but in comparison with those who do have a college degree, if you don't have one, you won't stand a chance. A degree is very beneficial.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
Its funny how some states are hurting for more LEs but yet you need a degree, ya they need to lower the standerds then youll have more LEs.

·
Registered
467 Posts
iGlock said:
Its funny how some states are hurting for more LEs but yet you need a degree, ya they need to lower the standerds then youll have more LEs.
I don't think that there is any shortage of candidates. Last go around in my home town there were 450 applications for 2 positions. The 2 hires were 26 YO, had military service, 1 was an M P. and both had criminal justice degrees. They tend to hire the best of the best.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
Augi said:
I don't think that there is any shortage of candidates. Last go around in my home town there were 450 applications for 2 positions. The 2 hires were 26 YO, had military service, 1 was an M P. and both had criminal justice degrees. They tend to hire the best of the best.
Thats why i said some states lol. Well thats what i hear in my state. That they are in need of LEs and some of us cant afford school but would make great LEs. Oh well....

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
I read an article about they cant keep LEOs in San Diego due to better pay in surrounding city's. I would love to be a officer in SD

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
glocknloaded said:
I read an article about they cant keep LEOs in San Diego due to better pay in surrounding city's. I would love to be a officer in SD
Or an officer in L.A. :) ...home sweet home

·
Administrator
52,792 Posts
Been a Deputy Sheriff here in Ohio for 10 years, beginning running now, and then run again, like mentioned above, do not lie on any pre employment information and keep answers consistent with each other, they will find out if you deviate from each other. Keep a level head, be fair but firm. Remain calm at all times and go into every shift/situation with a level head. Mistakes can get you or a partner killed, there is little room for error when your in LE, you are faced with the worst of the worst on a daily basis, however you also see kind hearted people that just need your attention.

It is the most rewarding career, you get out of it, what you put into it. Please remember to always wear your equipment (Body Armor) it may get "hot" but trust me your life may depend on that "hot" piece of article.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, good luck, and stay safe out there!

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
glock26USMC said:
Been a Deputy Sheriff here in Ohio for 10 years, beginning running now, and then run again, like mentioned above, do not lie on any pre employment information and keep answers consistent with each other, they will find out if you deviate from each other. Keep a level head, be fair but firm. Remain calm at all times and go into every shift/situation with a level head. Mistakes can get you or a partner killed, there is little room for error when your in LE, you are faced with the worst of the worst on a daily basis, however you also see kind hearted people that just need your attention.

It is the most rewarding career, you get out of it, what you put into it. Please remember to always wear your equipment (Body Armor) it may get "hot" but trust me your life may depend on that "hot" piece of article.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, good luck, and stay safe out there!
So my situation is I am 27 and i own my own construction business that so far has been a successful but I really want to do something more rewarding something I can tell my grand kids about, what should I do if I wanted to become a law enforcement officer? What are my first steps?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts