I bought a used G23 gen2.

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by korrybassinger, Jun 17, 2012.

1. korrybassinger

korrybassinger New Member

DFW
    I just have a few questions.
    Do the magazines on generation 2's not drop free?
    Are there any known issues on the G23 Gen 2 that I should be aware of?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    thank you

2. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Sounds like you may have the older mags that do not drop free? You can purchase newer mags that will drop free. Other than that I haven't heard of any issues with the GEN 2 G23. Congrats on your new GLOCK;)

3. korrybassinger

DFW
    Thank you. Any body else got anything for me?

4. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Your welcome. I for one always use GOOGLE for question or info. Just GOOGLE GLOCK 23 GEN 2 issues? See what pops up.. I'm sure other forum members will chime in soon with other helpful tips.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Korry !!

Stop by the intro area and re-introduce yourself since you haven't been here since Dec 2011...

6. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

If the mags you have have a semi-circle cutout at the top rear portion ("U" shaped) then it is a Non full metal lined mag and will expand when when loaded with cartridges. That creates friction with the insde of the mag well.

Full metal lined mags have a cutout that form a open square or a wide V notch. Those should drop freely when loaded or empty.

7. Two-Guns

Two-Guns New Member

The Gen 2 Glocks are my favorites. I have a Gen 2 Glock 19 and Glock 23. I love the feel of the grips. I also have a Gen 3 Glock 23 but it doesn't get used much right now.

8. korrybassinger

DFW
    metal lined mags. and they are not dropping free.

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Maybe disassemble and clean. Wipe them down with a very mild lubricant.

Clean the magazine well in the gun and check the mag release & retention area on the mags themselves for wear. Removing/replacing the mag release will most likely require the assistance of a Certified Glock Armorer.

10. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Even some of the early FML mags didn't drop free consistently. On yours, my first guess would be weak mag springs. Without the pressure of the follower or round pushing on the slide, it's not necessarily going to drop free. Your mags could probably also stand a follower upgrade. Your magazines will only take up through follower #5. If you look at the follower, holding the magazine facing forward as it would in the gun, the upper left corner may have a number on it. If it doesn't, or it's less than 5, they're out of date. If they're 10 round magazines, this doesn't apply; I imagine those have also been updated, but I don't know the details.

The current magazines run followers 6-8 (9?). There was a design change on the inside of the magazines that prevents a #6+ follower fitting in a #5 or earlier magazine.

2nd Gens that haven't been serviced need the "6 part upgrade" which has to be done by Glock or a Glock armorer. The nice thing is that Glock will do it for free, though you'd have to ship it to them. If your serial number is SLXXXUS or earlier, it needs the upgrade. I think there's a way to tell if it's been done, but I don't remember what that is.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

If you send your gun into Glock for inspection/upgrade, and include your magazines, they will update them. Often, if they are the old style #5 or before, they will replace them. That's not guaranteed; it depends on the armorer who gets it. Most of the time, from what I've seen, they'll do it.

If the finish is worn and you want it to look like new, they'll also refinish it for $45. One member who did this recently got it back refinished at no charge. Again not a guarantee, but it's a deal either way.

Finally, if you want night sights, they will install Glock Night Sights, made by Meprolight (at least last I checked) for $65.

Sending it in for inspection is something that, especially on a 2nd gen, simply because of age, I recommend. Because I live near the factory, I take all of my used ones in myself.

You can call them at 770-432-1202 or go to http://us.glock.com/customer-service/contact-us

If nothing else, if the gun has had the 6 part upgrade, they may be able to tell you.

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Thread moved to Glock Accessories & Gear sub forum...