hunting with glocks

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by The Boar Buster, Jan 8, 2012.

1. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster New Member

Who else hunts with their glock and what glock/caliber do you use.
    I have killed hogs with my 22 and my 26. Now I am going to give the 30sf a try.

2. jem375

jem375 New Member

There are much better hunting handguns than Glocks. I have a G20, but if I am hunting big game it is with either a 308, 44 mag or 375JDJ... Just about all my hunting handguns have scopes on them...

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I prefer a .44 mag for hand gun hunting, with that said, I do carry my G-20 as a back up while hunting with a rifle. Hog hunting, I would not go with out the G-20 on my side, 2 full mags over a six shooter every time.

4. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

No guys, he is Hawg Hunten, where you get close enough to kill a pig with a good knife after chasing it through the woods all night and the dogs finally pinned it.

I carried a 45 only because I did not have a 9 at that time. The last few years I have carried my G26 when I go deer hunting just in case I get a chance.

5. I agree with the others that Glocks are probably not the best choice for hunting. However, if I had to use one, I would use a G20 or a G29. (10mm models.)

6. erick kivi

erick kivi New Member

Yeah man go with a 10mm or a 45 for sure with hogs I use an ar-10 for hogs but keep my G23 right on my hip just for backup

7. Not legal to hunt with them in Indiana unless it's something like groundhogs or other unregulated animal,I do carry it for personnal carry when i deer hunt which is ok but you just cant shoot deer with it,i carry my .44 mag SW 629 for that job

8. The Boar Buster

I use to hunt with nothing but pistols, mainly TC Contendors and Encor in 7/30 waters, 375 JDJ, 45/70, 444 and 223. I also use to hunt with a Rugar Super Redhawk 44 mag. I kill lots of pigs and I do some guiding. Now most of my hunting is done with AR's. I cant count the hogs I have killed with the 5.56, and I also use a 6.8 spc and a 458 Socom. When I hunt I carry a glock on my side and I have killed hogs with all my glocks. The pic I have for my avatar is a 180 lb boar that I killed with my g26 and a 147 gr. Jhp. I probably have killed at least 20 hogs with my g22 using 180 gr jhp. Most of my shots are under 25 yards and a neck shot with either one will get the job done. Now I have a g30 in 45 acp. and from my own personal expert opinion, I know a 230 jhp or even a 230 fmj will get the job done. Hogs are not bullet proof, when I was a high school kid we used a .22 to kill hogs.
    Glocks are not just built for packing, they are built for killing. I am going to put mine to work. :D

9. jelder

jelder New Member

I hate it! I live in ky myself. I'd live to use my g23 to take a doe or buck!!!

10. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I've used my G17 for pest control does that count?

11. Here is a good read on hunting with handguns. He even touches on hunting with the glock 20: http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_hunting.htm

If you don't want to read it all here is the part about hunting with a glock:

"Glock has recently been touting their Model 20 10mm Auto pistol for hunting. This autoloader is much lighter than the other two autos I have mentioned, at 21 ounces, and much less expensive also, at a list price of $645 with adjustable sights. Unfortunately, its barrel is only 4.6" long, and it is a typical short recoil operated pistol. This means that the barrel and slide (where the sights are) both move, and separately, with every shot. Frankly, as much as I like Glock pistols for defense, I have never shot one that was accurate enough to meet my standards for a hunting pistol. However, I have never shot a Model 20, either. The 10mm cartridge is a good one, offering ballistic performance between that of the .357 Mag. and .41 Mag. revolver cartridges with full power hunting loads (not the "FBI Lite" self-defense loads).
    Glock chambers their Model 17L long slide competition gun for the 9mm Luger cartridge. This pistol has a 6.02" barrel and the option of an adjustable rear sight. It might have hunting applications for some of the smaller species of game."

12. I took out a few 400+ pound wild hogs in south MO this year with my G26

13. bugsdaddy30

bugsdaddy30 New Member

There is a video on YouTube of a guy taking a elk with a Glock. Coolest video I've ever seen.

14. jem375

jem375 New Member

My uncle used to poach deer with a 22LR, but that don't mean I will. My camping or hiking in the woods gun is a Ruger SBH in 44 mag. with Garrett's heavy lead hammerheads, 315 gr. bullet at 1325 fps, this is enough for anything on 4 legs and 2 legs also...

15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Never hunted with a Glock pistol, but I have with a scoped S&W Model 629 44 magnum !!

16. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkTXNAJqWY[/ame]

Proof, watch the big buck he takes down with one shot.

17. The Boar Buster

Thanks for that video.
    Looks like the 45 was getting as much play as the 10mm.
    No Glocks were injured in the making of this video, but lots of animals died.:D

18. Redhawk41mag

Redhawk41mag New Member

Ive always hunted with a pistol until this past yr investing inna Remington 770 in 30-06. Regardless, Ive harvested more hog/deer with my .41mag than most of friends using rifles. Would I hunt with a Glock 20/21, absolutely...as a back-up weapon.

Here's a pic of my 6", ported .41MAG

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views: