How old?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Glock-Siggy, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Glock-Siggy

Glock-Siggy New Member Lifetime Supporting Member

ForumRunner_20120711_175247.jpg

Can anyone tell me about how old this powder measure is. A buddy had it and never used it. I played with it and it still is very accurate.

Thanks

2. chuckds

chuckds Certified Glock Armorer

If you look at the real fine print in lower right on the paper it says 1955......I think

3. Glock-Siggy

No, it says " form lm-51 and printed in U.S.A "

4. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I'd say 1950's - 60's as a guess. I have the same #55 listed in my 1974 Shooters Bible, list price in 1974, $23.00, and the 7000 grain capacity reservoir you could buy for it list a $3.00. Same pic as your paper work.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Wow, this is a good one you got for us, Glock-Siggy!

OK, as near as I can tell, and NOT BEING AN EXPERT!, I would hazard a guess to between late 1950s to mid-1960s, for the following reasons:

1. The graphics on the manual is consistent with prevalent artwork of the time.

2. The color of the metal is grey and not the orange we associate with Lyman today. Lyman changed colors (to orange) in 1958 and then again in 1965, then back to orange in 1972 (so far as I can research on the Internet). Unless yours has been repainted, it was made pre-1958 or between 1965-1972.

3. This one-lb (7,000grain) capacity powder dispenser was originally named the "Lyman #55" (and is still known by the same name), and in 1955 Lyman added an extra drum or set knob (marked with a "D" on it) for dispensing black powder in Drams, a practice ended in 1968. Is there such a marking on any of the knobs or on extra knobs that came with the unit? This would date it between 1955-1958.

For a more accurate historical report, you may want to contact Lyman Product Information hotline at 800-225-9626.

Cheers!

6. Glock-Siggy

I did find two letters stamped near the adjustment screws. And there are two scales on either side of the adjustment slide. Letters are " G" and " D"

ForumRunner_20120713_130240.jpg

Pic is upside down but not too bad for a phone.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Then I would hazard a GUESS that the D means "drams" which is intended for loading blackpowder, that your powder dispenser was made no later than 1968, and based on the color of the metal, most likely between 1955-1958.

I have also read online how these things will just keep on working and working as long as they are kept clean.

Cheers!

8. Glock-Siggy

This one works fine...sometimes it feels like it is cutting through the powder as its rotating but the random samples still weigh out where I want it.

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Believe it or not, you actually want it to cut the powder grains easily! This ensures consistent loads.

What kinda powder are you using?

10. Glock-Siggy

Hodgdon universal. Loaded up 100 rds yesterday for the 30sf...everything went boom. Actually enjoyed the single stage loading more than the pro 1000 that I use for 9&40. Go figure.

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Been debating diving into progressives for some years now. Just cant justify it 'coz the trusty RCBS still works fine after all these years....