How often should I change night sights?

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by ofmbgg26, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ofmbgg26

ofmbgg26 New Member

I bought a police trade in g22 gen3 kit to complete my polymer 80 and the night sights barely glow at all, do I need to change them? Do they even get old and go bad? I have no idea when they were installed. Any help appreciated. Thanks. 1518477254302.jpg 20180211_225816.jpg

2. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

If they’re not glowing than they’re going to be replaced would be my thought process. Don’t care how long they’re suppose to last. Assuming you actually need them in the first place.

3. ofmbgg26

ofmbgg26 New Member

That was my plan I just didn't know if there was something I could do to get a little extra life out of them or if I just had to trash em.

larry00663 likes this.
  4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Or not put them on and save ammo money.

GARRIGA likes this.
  5. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

They have a glow in the dark paint you could also put on it

Richard54 likes this.
  6. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

7. ofmbgg26

ofmbgg26 New Member

Southlake likes this.
  8. eridgway

eridgway Active Member

I bought my trijicons on amazon for 80 bucks. Have a 12 year warranty. Well, 12 years from manufacture date

9. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

My LGS will install sights for free purchased in store, otherwise, around $25. Tools can be costly. Facts to consider.

10. Glockfinger

Glockfinger Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Most trijicon\tritium sights have a half life of 12 years meaning they will lose at least half their luminescence at about 12 years and be completely dead within 25 years.

11. fastreb

fastreb New Member

Actually, there is nothing you can do to make the sights last longer right now. All tritium lamps, whether in night sights or on something like a watch, start getting dim after about 6-7 years, and really dim at about 10 years. As another poster wrote, you could send them back to Trijicon to get re-lamped. However, you won't have any sights for your weapon for however long it takes them to get around to doing that. If I were you, I'd just buy a new set and install them.

Lucian_253 likes this.
  12. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I wait until they are noticeably dim. Around 10 years.

Danzig likes this.
  13. Pat Harmon

Pat Harmon Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 2 Police trade in model 22's. I keep one on top of my gun safe occasionally and I can see them glowing in the dark. I can't make out the writing on the sights though..