How Often Do You Shoot Your Carry Piece?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by taperguy, Mar 26, 2012.

1. taperguy

taperguy New Member

While focusing my practice for competition with my G34 I hadn't shot my G23 carry piece for a couple of months. Then when I pulled it out I was horrified to find how bad I was doing with it. I was just catching the side of the paper.This shouldn't be the case with a weapon I trust my life with. Personally I believe that we should be more familiar with our carry piece than anything else we shoot. I'm shooting the G23 weekly now and I feel confidant with it. How often do you shoot your carry piece? Could you get the job done if you had to put it to work? If you haven't shot it you really don't know.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Each and every time I go to the range I shoot my EDC...!!

3. taperguy

taperguy New Member

You would be amazed with the number of CWP holders that are carryng weapons they have never fired.

4. Oddball Gunner

Oddball Gunner New Member

I shoot at least once a week, dry fire practice every day.

5. taperguy

taperguy New Member

I strated a daily dry fire routine recently. It's amazing how it improves trigger control. I like to include mag changes with tactical retention. There's alot to this hand gunning. It does take practice.

6. Tape

Tape New Member

every time I go to the range

7. Redhairdontcare

Redhairdontcare New Member

So dry firing actually helps?

8. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

It has certainly helped me. I'm taking a defensive handgun course and my instructor assigns different dry fire drills every 2 weeks based on what we covered during the lesson. My groupings are in the red 95% of the time now.

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

About every other week. 30 rounds.

10. I've shot 1200 rounds through mine in the last 2 weeks.

11. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Every Monday morning.

12. taperguy

taperguy New Member

Awesome. Did you run it without cleaning?

13. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Me too, every shooting day.

14. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

EDCs get fired every Tuesday.

15. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Not the OP you asked but I too have shot well over a thousand rounds in a day without cleaning until the end of the day/training session. Quality ammo will run dang near forever with little fouling....

For cheap stuff, carry a slightly bent (at the head) old toothbrush to brush down the internal components if you wish. Check your bore every several boxes of ammom And if you are shooting lots, ensure that connector gets lubed daily.

16. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

Fire my carry weapon once every week or two. Drawing from holster and dry fire practice every other day. I alternate my draw and dry fire between using the point and shoot method and actually bringing up a sight picture. After each point and shoot, I check the alignment of the weapon and make the needed corrections. You'll be surprised how that well that "muscle memory" thing works. I'm pretty much dead on now.

17. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

As much as possible. Sometimes I forget I have 2 other sidearms :) I try to go shooting twice a month. Nearest range is 50 miles a way! I have a few buddy's that have farm land & I usually go out there to shoot! If I could afford it I would shoot every day :)

18. P35

P35 New Member

about once a month

19. Caseyglock19

Caseyglock19 New Member

Every week. I just sent my barrel to nukingfuts so I have to take a week off :(

20. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Once a week! Sometime every other week if the weather is too bad outside. Even though I'm going to start practicing rain or shine for a more real world experience