Glock Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much range time?

so far in the last month,we've been getting at least once a week,if not two days in a week.
just was wondering how much time you all been getting in?
104 rounds at a time,8 mags a piece,13 round mags.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
I try to go once a week.. If I don't go once every two weeks I get Un pleasant

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used to go once a week, but so much has been going on over the last couple of months I have been maybe twice during that whole time. I think I am going through withdrawal and need to get going again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Used to go once every 2 weeks. Since we got a baby, he's 5 months now. I barely go out shooting now. The last time i went to the range was last thursday in 2 months time. Each range visit, i usually spend about 3 hours at least!

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Minimum is 2x a week and up to 5 times a week.
I usually go through 100-500 rounds (combination of various calibers including .22lr) per session.

I budget my time to do it as part of my "commute" home. It also allows me that "Break"/ritual, where I can leave work at work and not have to bring the frustrations of the day through the front door with me.

FOr those with kids/responsibilities that have trouble finding the time, its imperative that the time be made, even if it's 20 minutes (2-3 mags worth). You have the firearm to help protect your family and we all need to maintain that skill. OTherwise, the lack of practice is going to cause you to be a less effective protector, which defeats the purpose of you having the firearm in the first place. Even if it's 15 minutes a night of drawing and dry firing, an re-enforcement of that muscle movement is going to help.

D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Weekly. 150 rounds. Routine since March. In that time I've gone from total beginner to 'combat effective.' I can keep 'em within a 3"-5" circle @ 10 yards. Great satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
My wife and I try to get to the range at least once a month. Sometimes it's difficult with her work schedule but we can usually get there NP.

The hardest part is finding a range that we can actually practice drawing and firing double taps. Most of the ranges that are close don't allow it. Sucks really! Most of the good ranges are over an hour away and don't seem to be open when we want to go.

Lots and lots of dry fire practice.

·
23 Posts
dwcfastrice said:
Minimum is 2x a week and up to 5 times a week.
I usually go through 100-500 rounds (combination of various calibers including .22lr) per session.

I budget my time to do it as part of my "commute" home. It also allows me that "Break"/ritual, where I can leave work at work and not have to bring the frustrations of the day through the front door with me.

FOr those with kids/responsibilities that have trouble finding the time, its imperative that the time be made, even if it's 20 minutes (2-3 mags worth). You have the firearm to help protect your family and we all need to maintain that skill. OTherwise, the lack of practice is going to cause you to be a less effective protector, which defeats the purpose of you having the firearm in the first place. Even if it's 15 minutes a night of drawing and dry firing, an re-enforcement of that muscle movement is going to help.

D
Great advice. I shoot daily myself. My range is in the back yard.

·
Banned
654 Posts
I started to slow it down and go once a month to keep me tuned. I only go during the weekdays, on the weekends it is packed but during the weekdays sometimes I am the only one there on the public lanes. The range has 9 seperate shooting area's. I take a few pistols a one of my rifles and stay about 7-8hrs, that is a long time for me just to be shooting.

btw, welcome to the forum

·
Registered
656 Posts
I normally shoot 100 rounds per week with 2 different guns. One of those weeks per month I try to devote to rifle. I also shoot in a "Fun Gun League" once a month. Timed competition that includes some strong and weak hand shooting.

·
23 Posts
Blackmagic02 said:
I normally shoot 100 rounds per week with 2 different guns. One of those weeks per month I try to devote to rifle. I also shoot in a "Fun Gun League" once a month. Timed competition that includes some strong and weak hand shooting.
I built a 100/200/300yd for rifle and have couple different spots setup for my handguns. I have been averaging 150 rounds a days. Working on rapid fire multiple targets currently. I have a pack of coyotes to call up this weekend. Gotta save the wife's chickens. ;-)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm down to, at least, twice a month, 2+ boxes of ammo for each handgun (G36, G19, P.238) for behavioral maintenance. However, upon each new purchase I'll run 1000+ rounds (including possible carry options) through it within the first two weeks, make notes, completely strip it, make any mods, then repeat until its right. I find the process very cathartic.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Every 2 to 3 weeks for 8 hours each time at the outdoor range from when they open til they close. And then I go to the indoor range every so often in between just so I can blow some steam.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I try to go once a week with a minimum of 100 rds each on G23 and my M4. I practice a lot of dry fire at home so that my muscles get used to knowing when to hit that trigger right! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts