Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try get down to the range as much as i can doing drills and shooting about 100 every second day i want to start combat shooting do i have to clean my g23 every day

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
You will get a variety of answers on this question. Glocks will run clean or dirty. I prefer to feild strip and clean after every range session and then every third session I do a full detail strip and clean. JMO :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haha. I clean my glock after EVERY range session. I have heard the stories about over OILING.

Maybe, and I am not sure at all, it is fine to CLEAN the gun often, but not OIL? Like, clean the barrel and the gun using Powder Blast or CLP, but only oil every few trips? I have just as much fun cleaning my gun as shooting it! Weird, I know...

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
As a matter of routine, I always clean my firearms after every use, even if I only fired a couple of rounds.

I use ultrasonics, so it is easy, no scrubbing, no chemical solvents, no mess. But that's not for everyone.

I do recommend paying close attention to the oling points and conservative amounts of oil needed for a Glock.

A clean and properly lubricated firearm is like a well-maintained car, not only does it purr, it gets you from A to B.

If my life should ever depend on it, I am confident that my Glock will not malfunction for ANY reason.

Others may differ in their philosophies...

·
Very Cool Member
3,497 Posts
As a matter of routine, I always clean my firearms after every use, even if I only fired a couple of rounds.

I use ultrasonics, so it is easy, no scrubbing, no chemical solvents, no mess. But that's not for everyone.

I do recommend paying close attention to the oling points and conservative amounts of oil needed for a Glock.

A clean and properly lubricated firearm is like a well-maintained car, not only does it purr, it gets you from A to B.

If my life should ever depend on it, I am confident that my Glock will not malfunction for ANY reason.

Others may differ in their philosophies...
Do you own the ultrasonic? If you do are they fairly cheap?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
clean? wait wait wait.......you can CLEAN these??

Seriously though, I clean once or twice a year unless I shoot a lot or some cheap junk like wolf. My G19 never gets cleaned, never has been cleaned. All original parts but the trigger and mag release....50k+ rounds and going.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Yes, I have the ultrasonic (actually, I have 3).

If you want to get away with fair performance, Harbor Freight Tools (www.harborfreight.com) has what I would consider to be a low entry-level unit suitable for cleaning small handguns and brass for reloading, for like $79, labelled by Chicago Electric.

Here's a how-to of me using it to clean brass for reloading: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f12/how-clean-brass-cases-using-ultrasonic-cleaners-4106/

MidwayUSA (www.midwayusa.com) and Cabela's (www.cabelas.com) carry a LYMAN brand ultrasonic cleaner that looks exactly like the Chicago Electric unit for Like $120. I detail it in this thread: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f10/ultrasonic-cleaner-2552/

Also discussed in this thread: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f10/cleaning-glocks-3902/

Since I am a gunsmith, I have and use a (now-obsolete) HG-570 ultrasonic cleaner that cost me around $700. In my humble (and limited) opinion, ultrasonics are the best and only way to clean anything with complex shapes, and the cost of the equipment is recovered thru services offered. I offere cleaning services to our CCW students. Others would not be in the same position as me, so purchasing one of these will be a major cost (not investment).

Stay away from the really small ultrasonics, those are good for cleaning jewelry, watches, and dentures (ugh!).

I understand that Hornady has a mid-sized cleaner for under $300, don't have that so I have no reviews of it. It sounds like a good choice, though.

And remember, the partner of an ultrasonic cleaner for guns is an air compressor!

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
+1 for Harbor Freight, they are great. Don't put too much stock in the reviews on their website. a lot of customers think a $80 tool should perform as well as a $900 version and last forever.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
That's right, Nukin!

That is why although I have the fancy-shmancy cleaner, I used the Harbor Freight unit in my How-To since this is the one most likely to be purchased by the casual gunowner (as opposed to a gunsmith).

It does the job, not as fast, but it does the job!

Even if you don't reload, look at what it can do to brass in that How-To I made for cleaning brass for reloading.

And all I used was the cleaner, some cleaning fluid ($25 a jug), tapwater, some liquid soap, and the power of the sun!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
+1 for Harbor Freight, they are great. Don't put too much stock in the reviews on their website. a lot of customers think a $80 tool should perform as well as a $900 version and last forever.
Most people will buy one, pour water into it, plunk in whatever they are cleaning, turn it ON, and then be disappointed at the results.

Best results are achieved using High Heat (and this unit has a heater built-in) and a good cleaning agent (Hornady's Gun Cleaning Solution for guns, or their Case Cleaning Solution for brass cases).

Misinformed users conducting inept operations will most often blame the equipment rather than accept the fact that they don't know what they are doing.

Anyway, with ultrasonic cleaners, you can say bye-bye to scubbing, brass and nylon brushes, solvent splattering all over the place, nice-smelling but flammable fumes (from Hoppe's No.9), and a lot of elbow grease.

You do have to detal-strip your Glock, but trust me: ultrasonics are all I use and it is safe for the polymer frame.

Some cautionary notes though: painted dots have come off (from a SA XD9) and a Tritium pellet did shatter (from a Beretta 92G), so be warned about those things!

Cheers!

·
Very Cool Member
3,497 Posts
My next question is what parts of your Glock do you put in the ultrasonic? All of them? Do you field strip it first? Sorry if these questions seem stupid. Thank you for your time and help.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Detail strip.

All parts.

2 8-minute cycles, moving parts around in between cycles.*

Rinse in hot tapwater.

Immediately blow-dry with compressed air.

Lube and reassemble.

Function check, and DONE!

And there is no such thing as a stupid question, Sir.

*One cycle in "The Beast" but two will be the minimum in the Harbor Freight unit.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Cheers!

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I first had a Sig Sauer p226, cleaning was like a zen moment to me. Many parts and a lot of small places to clean; it was like cleaning your classic Cadillac on a Sunday afternoon. Now I have a Glockenspiel. Cleaning a Glock is like hosing down your bike; a splash of water and its ready.

I always like to pamper the guns after a good shoot. Not that it's needed, but I like the routine. Call me odd; what the hell, I am hahaha.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My next question is what parts of your Glock do you put in the ultrasonic? All of them? Do you field strip it first? Sorry if these questions seem stupid. Thank you for your time and help.
There are no such things as stupid questions. Stupid answers is a whole other deal... ;)

·
Very Cool Member
3,497 Posts
I don't know how to detail strip my Glock. Are there any helpful videos to get me through this?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
sglide05 said:
I don't know how to detail strip my Glock. Are there any helpful videos to get me through this?
At least for the slide itself, this might help to start. This guy knows his Glocks. I am sure there are other, more comprehensive, videos out there as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VTIqAMPOco&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
I clean mine every time. If nothing else get a bore snake and run it through between cleanings.

·
Very Cool Member
3,497 Posts
Thank you for the video's. I'm pretty confident I can do that with no issues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.