How much "comfort" should I expect?

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by OuttaHand, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I have been shooting for a LONG time but only recently got my CCL and G19 to go with it.

I have now purchased two IWB holsters and I am wondering a basic question:
    How much comfort should I really expect? :confused:

I'm in Wisconsin and I don't want to open carry. Too many possible "issues" with that (in my opinion). I'm about 6' to 6'1" and about 270 lbs so I have a bit of a gut on me. I know that is going to be something of an issue. I feel like it's best for me if I can carry strong side at about 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock position. That seems most comfortable so far.
    The Sof-Tuk I bought is easy to adjust for the best possible cant. The other holster is perfectly vertical. But in both cases, I can feel the end of the barrel (and holster) kind of digging into my thigh / groin -- especially if I climb stairs or bend over. The most comfortable so far seems to be the Sof-Tuk with a lot of cant so that the butt of the gun ends up at about 3 o'clock and the gun is as close to horizontal as it can be in the waistband. But the end of the holster/barrel is still digging into my groin / thigh.

Is that considered normal? Is that just part of carrying? Or am I missing something in the setup?

Help me figure out if this is just something I'm going to have to deal with in order to carry and feel safe --- or if there is some "trick" or something that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. rexg23

rexg23 New Member

Hello this may help I am 5'10" 245 so I also have a lil gut and I had same issue when I Cary at 1 o'clock position I have a g23 g30 and 1911. I don't carry my 1911 much but the g30 everyday I have the crossbreed holster and it's iwb I found that I am more comfortable on strong side around 4 to 5 o'clock position I haven't noticed any more in comfortable feeling anymore and I use the exact same holster for my g23 or g30. Hope that helps

3. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

That will depend on what kind of holster you bought and where it is positioned. I don't have any experience with Soft-Tuk, but I wear my CBST 15-16 hours a day in the 4-5 oclock position and don't even know its there. I had to be conscious early on not to reach back there in public to check if it was still there (weapon petting) because I really do not feel it. I lean and lay all over it on the couch...super comfortable.

4. Jacks1911

Jacks1911 New Member

OK cheesehead--here's what I can tell you from personal experience. The way you are wearing your holster is not going to be comfortable at all, I've heard it referred to as "Front carry". I'm 5' 10" and 160 LBS, I don't have a gut and even I find front carry uncomfortable. I use a Milt Sparks VMII for my G19 and I position it at 3:30 to 4:00 depending on if I'm in the car, driving, or just walking through the Home Depot.
    Many people today use some form of Kydex holster but from my perspective I don't like them because they have no flexibility at all. Leather, on the other hand, will of some molding to your body shape.
    It will take some time to get used to the feeling of carrying a gun but, I can tell you that after time you kinda forget it's there. Hang in there.:D

5. Why 1 or 2 o'clock would be my first question. Most IWB and OWB's for that matter do best in the 3-4 o'clock position.

Are you dead set on IWB? Some OWB's hold VERY close to the body and a normal t-shirt is all that is needed for concealment.

6. How many have you tried?

7. I don't know why, but I just THOUGHT that the 1:00 - 2:00 position would be the only place where you could really draw well. It just seemed (to me) like that's where it was supposed to go.

I just tried the holster at the 4:00 to 5:00 position. I adjusted the clip so it would cant correctly. WOW! The gun lays nicely against my body. The grip does not stick out or print much. And I can get the gun out quite safely as well as re-holster it easily.

I have to admit I'm a tad embarrassed that I did not try that myself earlier. I guess I just thought that the draw would be difficult. It's not. It's like reaching for your wallet.

It looks like the Sof-Tuk is going to work really well at the 4 o-click - 5 o-clock position!:D