how many times can 9mm brass be reloaded?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Barry, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

I get about 5 reloads on 1 brass, is this an unsafe practice?

Firing from glock 19, 26
    115 gr full metal jacket (Barry's or HSM)
    6.7 gr of winchester autocomp
    cci primers

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Until they show cracks from stress, resizing, etc...

5 reloads is good !

3. Barry

Barry New Member

thanks again Shooter13!

4. SHOOTER13

Thank you for your service to our country !!

507th Parachute Infantry Regiment ...Part of the 199th Infantry Brigade out of Fort Benning.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  5. Barry

Barry New Member

at about the 5th or 6th reload

Problem I just recently encountered was at about the 5th or 6th reload some of the rounds will not chamber fully. Prior to reloading I verify the OAL, however after I seat the bullet the base appears to be slightly beveled, barely noticable by the naked eye. Ofcourse after reloading I check OAL again and it is within specs.

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Um...are you also checking case length after sizing but before expanding?

Just a thought.

7. SHOOTER13

Sounds like your just making the limit for that brass...keep a good eye on it !

Well...look who decided to join us...welcome HS1...the man knows... !

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Sorry, just got back in from running some errands....Hiya!

9. SHOOTER13

No problem my friend...been on duty for a while !

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

That almost sounds like a hint....kinda like brass nearing it's end-of-life? :)

11. Barry

Barry New Member

yea, guess I am being way too conservative. I carry everyday, shoot everyweek. I have to say this is becoming a very expensive hobby. Thank you Shooter13 and Happysniper1 for your prompt response.

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Back to your question, Barry, 5 times is good for 9mm brass.

You could push it a couple more times, provided you never loaded to max pressure at any point (this overstresses the brass), and since you use Berry's and/or HSM, you don't max press plated bullets anyway.

I have brass that I have loaded countless times, and I have never had a case fracture yet.

Since I clean using ultrasonics it is easy to inspect the case web (on the interior of the case, where the floor meets the case wall) and if you see lines along the circumference of the case surface, this is a sign of incipient case web separation and case head faiure.

You can also drag a bent sewing needle along the case web and feel for these lines.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and yes, I am paranoid about case inspection and case lengths.

Cheers!

13. Barry

Barry New Member

good information, thank you.

14. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

As well you should be HS1! The first thing I check after resizing ANYTHING is case length.

15. malladus

malladus New Member

Considering you are loading about 1.1 grains over max recommended charge for autocomp for 115 gr bullet you are probably working the brass pretty hard. I run 115gr FMJ from Montana Gold with CCI primers and 5.2 grains of autocomp and I get about 10 out of them. In my open gun I run 124 gr jacketed hollow points at 5.3 grains which is a hair over max recommended charge and I get about 4 out of them before they start showing signs that it's time to send them to the recycling bucket.

malladus

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  16. Barry

Barry New Member

I've had too many failed to ejects using <6 grains of autocomp. I'm curious now, are you using those re-loads on a glock?

17. malladus

malladus New Member

Yep, and in a CZ as well.

The 115 gr stuff runs fine through 2 differient G26s, a 2nd gen 17, a 3rd gen 17, a 3rd gen 34, and 2 differient 3rd gen G17Ls. My 3rd gen 17 has eaten about 5000 - 6000 of them with the only issue being a batch of bad primers. All the guns run bone stock spring sets. only internal mods are "-" disconnectors.

The other load runs my unlimited gun. It runs a 10# spring set. Went to a lighter striker spring as well because pulling the trigger was moving the action slightly out of battery with a round in the chamber. That gun is a G34 with enough of the slide cut away to make the slide weigh the same as a G26 slide and has a four port comp on the front end. The ejection port has been lowered and the ejector modified to throuw more to the side to help clear the red dot mount.

That one is more tempramental in that if it gets to cold or to dry it starts to have failure to feeds. I partially resolved the problem by stepping up the charge a 1/10 of grain and swithcing from Hornady TAP hollow points to more rounded profile remington ones.

malladus

18. Barry

Barry New Member

very interesting, I'm going to experiment now; make a few reloads and head out to the outdoor range today. Do you have any formulas for +P and or +P+ loads using 115 & 124gr, autocomp powder?

19. malladus

malladus New Member

Can't say that I do. Autocomp isn't really meant for defense loads, but rather to run compensated pistols. It is designed to combust fast and generate sufficient gas to help a compensator work efficiently. Tends to make it a soft shooter with a lower recoil impulse which makes for good competition loads.

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to a high pressure load, but the ones your running sound like they may already be there.

malladus