Glock Forum banner

How many rounds to break in a Defensive Handgun?

Votes: 2 5.9%

Votes: 5 14.7%

Votes: 12 35.3%

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 23.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,428 Posts
Exactly, it depends on the gun. Back in the day I wouldn’t carry a 1911 without 200 rounds down the pipe and it being stoppage free.
Glock and the new wondernines changed that for me. I acquired my first Glock, a Gen 2 21 secondhand from my buddy I went through police academy with. Every Glock I’d seen since then were perfect runners unless they’d been tinkered with and had aftermarket parts added.
I don’t recall ever going straight from the store into a holster for carry but I was plenty comfortable carrying a Glock with only a couple or so mags run through it.

· Registered
1,564 Posts
A case of ammo, a couple hundred rounds of carry choice, a hand full of mags and targets.
Go to the range and run it like a rented mule from a man you hate. Load various round counts in the mags, from one to full. It has to work, every time.
After 900 rounds of 95%+ functioning, pay attention to trigger and sight picture closely. The trigger and the loose nut pulling it should be worn in by now,
SD ammo has to be 100% every single time, one round or full. Feed, function, eject and hit at POA.
I've had some break in the 400-600 round count. Not often, but it happens.
YMMV

• Haha
Reactions: SMT, SJ 40 and Che

· Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My SOP before I will carry a new purchase. 1000 rounds of range ammo without any issue and 500 rounds of carry ammo without issue.
That my friend was the reason I started reloading. It use to be the cost of your reloads was 1/4 of the cost of factory ammunition. So you got to shoot four times more for the same cost.

· Registered
1,564 Posts
Mine have never failed dude. You must be doing something wrong; Glocks aren’t for you.
A bit touchy are we? Well, yes, I had a Glock break at the 500ish round count. A $1 reset spring could have been devastating. Looked to have been tweaked on assembly. A wear item that should be replaced every now and then, just not that soon.
Shooting bud, had it running in about 5 minutes, and it never had another hiccup.
Your choice to prove what you carry, or not. Most choose to, to some level or another, and some believe that it has to earn it's way into a holster.
Break in might be the wrong term, but we are adults and understand what is going on.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
always clean and test your guns before carrying. don't say 0 even for a glock.
brand new gen4 31 issued and i didn't bother to do anything. loaded it up and stuck it on my belt. a short time later went to use it during a practice session and 3rd round ever fired locked the gun up, i had to smack the front on the floor to unlock it. cleaned and lubed and shot some more with no more issues.

don't know what happened. but it happens.
switched 34 of us over to the 45 MOS-5 this past week. some teething issues with failure to feeds. so thankfully we broke them in and all seems to be working now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts