How is your ammo supply in your area? (Walmart)

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Eye_Peeled, May 10, 2012.

1. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

I travel around the state quite a bit for work so I stop in Walmarts here and there just to see what their ammo supply is like in different areas. I like to keep stocked up on range ammo as you can imagine. I have plenty but I like to pick up a box or two regularly to keep stocked up. The stock that Walmart keeps in my area is getting a little scary.

The lady running the counter in a Walmart about 45 minutes from me told me today she will place an order for 50 boxes of a particular caliber and get 5. She said the distribution center orders it but they are telling her it's the manufacturers that aren't sending it to them. I don't know if there's anything to what she said or not but she sounded like she was the one who did the ordering.

Every time I go, no matter the location, they are always either completely out of 9mm and .45 or they have no more than a box or two. It's a bad situation around here.

What's the situation like in your area?

2. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Man! I was talking to my wife about it.
    I stopped by WallMart (Miami) today and they were out of 9mm and 45s. This is the second time I checked within a month and the same issue.
    They have a few boxes of .223 so that's what I got.

I'm checking at BassPro tomorrow.

3. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

I went to wal-mart the other day close to my business and they were out of 9's and 40's.

4. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

I'll have to ask my wife, she picks up my ammo for me lol

5. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Wow kodiak, now there's a great wife!!!!!

6. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

All the ones around here (NE Georgia) are always running low on 9mm and .40 cal as well. Luckily our range keeps a good stock on hand.

7. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

Sounds like everybody's in the same boat. Our Bass Pro keeps a fairly good supply but they are always either low or out of Winchester WB, plus the price isn't as good. I guess I'll just have to continue to keep my eye peeled and buy it when I see it.

8. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

lol yeah she's a good woman. She also picks up my ballistol when I'm running low.

9. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

The Walmarts out here in Reno, Nv usually stay pretty well stocked up.

10. Flairsr

Flairsr New Member

Went to Walmart today, large stockpile of 9mm and .40 bulk boxes but no .45 unfortunately.

11. Flairsr

Flairsr New Member

Also the Walmart clerk was stocking ammo so I guess I'm making my trips on Thursday from now on. Paid $20.22 for a hundred round Winchester bulk pack of 9mm. He said the .45 100 round box runs $37 and change but was out. There was a thread awhile back about the 100 round white box being short sometimes, counter mine and ended up with 101, lucky me...

12. The ones here in Topeka Kansas are hit or miss on popular calibers. It seems to me like whenever I go in for a specific caliber, they are out of it but have plenty of the ones I have stockpiles of. lol. But fyi, I did go in one morning and saw a man the works at one of the local GS buying a crap ton of assorted rounds, makes me wonder if hes turning around and selling them in his shop.

13. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Walmart is always low here in Phx...

14. runman

runman New Member

Walmarts in Vegas seems to be low on 9mm all the time, I am going to the two closest to a big outdoor range though. I've resorted to buying online. Buying in bulk gets the price down and saves the hassle of stalking Wally to see what he's got.

15. lzyltng

lzyltng New Member

I've given up on Wally World. I live in a small town in Colorado. Wally is ALWAYS low on ammo. I've just started using online sources and buy 1k rounds at a time. Great way to stock up, while saving money. LuckyGunner.com seems to be working out pretty well, with AmmoMan a close second. Great quality ammo at a fair price. It's waiting for the delivery that's the hard part. It takes about a week and a half. Oh, sales at Cabelas.com have also worked out well. My two cents. Shoot Straught...

16. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Ours is quite good in my neck of florida, I have a shop here i can get. 45 federal for 349.00 a case and .40 for 315 with ample supply. Then again we do have jerks trying to tske advantage of the so called supply issue and are REALLY jacking their prices. I just find another place!

17. jtk07

jtk07 New Member

Our walmart in Texas told me they will no longer carry 40 cal and will only be carrying white box 9mm and its was 14$ a box of 50.

I've been going to "Cheaper than Dirt" - the stores close to me, much better on price and stock. Have also considered trying www.BulkAmmo.com as they have free shipping - has anyone used them?

18. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Not me, but i have actually had some pretty good luck with www.thesportmansguide.com reasonable pricing and you get a 10 dollar coupon to use on you next order over 99 bucks evertime. Pays for shipping, or mostly.

19. Ammo shortage at Wal-Mart???

Ok, I just went to Wal-Mart to buy some 9mm ammo cause my son and I are going to the range tomorrow and the only 9mm they had was 2 50 rnd boxes of Federal and 1 250 rnd box of Rem UMC! WTH!! I asked the sporting goods clerk what was going on and he said because of it being an election year, there was a shortage of ammo. I live in a small TN town with only 1 Wal-Mart, so has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there really a shortage? I have noticed an increase in the price of ammo. Any info/comments?

20. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Although that could be true. I think location and demographics have a lot to do with it too.