How i test long time fully loaded Glock Mags for function.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by runningbear, Feb 4, 2018.

1. runningbear

runningbear Member

After my Glock Mags have been loaded for a long time, i want to be sure they will function when i need them.

Because the Mags spring will be it's weakest point with the last two rounds held i know if they don't feed live rounds there is a problem.

I don't want to use live Ammo. in these tests so i use Snap Caps, i put two Snap Caps in the Mag. and rack them through, if the feed correctly i feel the Mag. springs are Ok.

This is the best way i have found besides just shooting live Ammo.

2. Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior Peace & Grace Lifetime Supporting Member

Metal being what it is, I’ve learned to load my static mags one round down. But then again I shoot the s hit out of all my guns and mags, so I really don’t have static mags.

ca survivor likes this.

3. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Just so you know, 'static' loading does not damage springs.

Springs are damaged by 'working' them or forcing them beyond their elastic point.

For example, using the same magazine to shoot 10s of thousands of rounds may weaken the spring.

And, to Southlake's point, forcing 'that last cartridge' (that really doesn't want go) into the magazine may bend (damage) the spring.

Otherwise, a 'static' magazine will function decades after it's loaded. ;)

Just sayin'... :D

Best regards,

Bob :)

cnutco likes this.
  4. runningbear

runningbear Member

No matter what the real facts are in regards to what changes to strength of the Mag. springs, do you agree that if the last two rounds in a Mag. will feed the Snap Cap into battery, then the Mag. will probably feed a live round into battery when using live Ammo.

5. Prayer Warrior

6. rbbeers

Yep! :D

However, the 'low speed' testing described above does not test the 'magazine vs RSA' timing.

(Please refer to the article 'How Recoil Spring Rate Affects Timing'... http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/recoil-spring-rate-affects-timing/.)

A weak magazine spring (especially when coupled with a 'stiff' RSA) can cause cartridge pickup failures (a type of 'failure to feed') that aren't typically detected when manually racking the slide, but occur during live fire... and must be tested on the range. ;)

Happy shooting! :D

Best regards,

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    jculver likes this.
  7. runningbear

runningbear Member

Well we do the best we can without going out and shotting live Ammo. I did not post it was a 100% perfect test, i posted it probably would feed a live round into battery.

So if you don't like my simple test, go out to your range and shot live Ammo.
    Yeah "happy shooting"

8. rbbeers

Why the attitude? o_O

Do you want to learn or not? :confused:

Using snap caps (or, preferably, dummy rounds) simply tests the 'low speed' function of the firearm... not the 'high speed' function.

For example, a seemingly good magazine... a magazine that passes the 'dummy round' test... can fail with live cartridges. To me, the flavor of your first post reflected that you didn't understand that. :rolleyes:

It's not that I don't like your simple test, as I use dummy rounds as well... but such testing is incomplete. To truly 'test' my firearms (and practice my shooting skills), I send about 400 rounds a week down range. ;)

Hope this helps. :D

Best regards,

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Prayer Warrior likes this.
  9. runningbear

runningbear Member

No where in my post did i convey or try to tell anyone my "simple" test using snap caps, were better then really using live Ammo.

What i posted "not exact wording" was (if it pasted my simple snap cap test it probably feed a live round into battery when using live Ammo.)

Also i am not telling anyone not to go and shoot their handguns, it's alway good to really shoot a handgun with live Ammo.

And i also hope this helps in understanding my original post.

10. rbbeers

Probably?

11. runningbear

runningbear Member

Probably?
    prob·a·bly
    ˈpräbəblē,ˈpräblē/
    adverb
    1. almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.
      "she would probably never see him again"
      synonyms: in all likelihood, in all probability, as likely as not, (very/most) likely, ten to one, the chances are, doubtless, no doubt;
      archaiclike enough
      "I knew I would probably never see her again"
    2. adverb
      in all likelihood; very likely:
      He will probably attend.
    3. ADVERB
      • sentence adverb Almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.

‘she would probably never see him again’

‘‘A bomb, do you think?’ ‘Probably.’’
      4.Spanish
      probably
      ADVERB
      probablemente
      she probably forgot se habrá olvidado; seguramente se ha olvidado; probablemente se haya olvidado; he will probably come es probable que venga; probably notpuede que no; quizá no; very probably, but ... es muy posible or bien puede ser, pero

12. rbbeers

Have a good day! :D

Best regards,

13. Prayer Warrior

You handled that well Bob.

rbbeers likes this.
  14. TheKraken

TheKraken Senior Darkside Dweller Staff Member Lifetime Supporting Member

15. sglide05

sglide05 Very Cool Member Supporter

Mag springs are cheap anyway. When in doubt replace them. Most of the time you can get the mag springs for free if you go to a GSSF match. The armorer usually replaces them if you ask.

rbbeers likes this.
  16. I don't know about Glocks, being somewhat of a newbie to Glocks, but, I've had 2 Colt .45 mags loaded up since I was 25 years old and am now 63. No weakening yet. Also have a "Ramline" 10 shot clip loaded up for 20 or more years as well. No probs.
    I will keep these 3 clips that came with my G19.4 loaded to the gills along with a 33 rounder as well and report any problems to y'all.
    [​IMG]

Dargun and rbbeers like this.
  17. Bob, rare to see you ruffled. Keep smiling. I, for one always value your comments.

rbbeers likes this.
  18. On another forum, he got the same way after getting responses similar to what he has gotten here.

19. rbbeers

Hi, Doc!

Thanks for the 'heads up'. ;)

I appreciate it! :D

Best regards,

20. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member

Running, are you a shooter or an English Major? Function fire any new weapon with live ammo. That's all that counts.

lawyer69 likes this.