How can i get restictions removed off my cpl

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by steverich88, Jul 4, 2012.

1. steverich88

steverich88 New Member

I want to be able to carry anywhere

2. Nyckid211

Nyckid211 New Member

What state, what restrictions?

3. akvs22

akvs22 New Member

Become an LEO, there is no CCW out there that allows you to carry "anywhere".

4. EvilD

EvilD New Member

going to need a few more details

5. pkaltx

pkaltx New Member

There are certain federal restrictions as that no state can override. If you want to carry everywhere, find a local police department that will let sponsor you as a reserve officer. Usually you will have to work 8-16 hours a month for free and they will sponsor your peace officer license. You will have to take a number of classes at a local community college and pass all the background, psychological and physical tests. Then you can carry as a peace officer that is off duty. You still cannot carry on a plane, nuclear facility and a host of other critical infrastructure locations, but pretty much everywhere else.

6. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

I had a firearm restriction on my background check, since I was 15 yrs old. I didn't know until I went to purchase my Glock this past February. I am now 22, so in those 7 years I have not had any law enforcement contact and have been free of trouble.
    I had to contact the CIB (crime information bureau) to find out why. 2 weeks later they sent me a list of offenses I had when I was a juvenile and one was OWI hit and run causing injury to a minor, class f felony I believe.
    I was drunk, crashed into a tree and my friend was the passenger and hit his head on the windshield causing a scratch on his forehead. I took off and was subdued a block away. I was 14 turning 15 and a dumbass.
    I have change my ways of living and thinking since then.

Back to the process, I then wrote the judge, who replaced the judge that handled my case and asked that she lifted the restriction. I gave her details as to why I wanted to own a gun and how I have changed my life since then.
    5 days later I received a letter with a court appearance date. I attended the hearing and was granted my rights back.
    The total time, from when I started the process until I was able to purchase the gun, was 2 months.

This is in WI, and depending on the reason you have restrictions may play into a longer waiting period.

My brother went through the same process and didn't receive a letter from a judge for 6 months. Then they told him they wanted him to wait a total of ten years from the original case date, without any police contact, which was 3 more years.
    Good luck

7. rickjames

I went for my ccw class a month after getting my gun and received my license within 9 days of turning in my application. I love WI.

8. steverich88

steverich88 New Member

The reason I ask is because I heard it was a class you can take to lift some of the restrictions I live in mi

9. rickjames

Contact you're county courthouse. Or the police station and ask.

10. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

I live in MI and I believe there is a bill pending that would allow CPL holders to carry in historically pistol-free zones only after additional training and certification...beyond what you get to obtain a regular CPL.

At this point, I am not sure where that stands.

Edit: this is what I was referring to. This article is a few months old though...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/03/22/lawmakers-propose-changes-to-michigan-concealed-weapons-law/

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  11. steverich88

steverich88 New Member

I hope it does sign me up