Featured How a Glock Works

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Southlake, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Below is a 3d review of how a Glock specifically a Glock 43 works. If you find useful information, please click the "Like" button.

2. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

This is the best Glock animation I've seen.

Thanks for posting it.

Best regards,

Bob

brvobe58, danclower and Southlake like this.

3. Southlake

Is it sticky worthy? I was unsure.

danclower likes this.
  4. rbbeers

Absolutely!

Bob

Southlake likes this.
  5. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

I love it. Thanks for posting.

Southlake and Dark Knight like this.
  6. helitack32f1

helitack32f1 Well-Known Member

7. cg17

cg17 Member Supporter

Very informative. Thank you for this! Can I show this to my co-workers and my firearms instructor?

Southlake likes this.
  8. Southlake

Only if you click the "LIKE" button first. :)

cg17 likes this.
  9. IamJab23

IamJab23 New Member

Wow!!!! Great video and very informative. Thanks. Now I have a visual of what’s going with my 43.

roderickr, PKersey and Southlake like this.
  10. Roadking23

Roadking23 Active Member

Florida
  11. Volker

Volker New Member

Germany
    Best 3D animation of a Glock I have seen until now.
    Great, thank you.

TheKraken and Southlake like this.
  12. Southlake

Here is another:

Peepaw, Gus54, GlockGhost and 3 others like this.
  13. rbbeers

Excellent video.

This LWD video is the most complete I've seen to date.

Thanks for posting.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Gus54 and Southlake like this.
  14. Southlake

Thanks Bob, I was hoping you’d like it.

Gus54 and rbbeers like this.
  15. ddown

ddown Member

Both are good lone wolf is more accurate in terms of barrel locking. Other video said video locks in slide nothing in slide to lock to. Lugs on bottom of barrel lock to lug and take down lever.

Southlake likes this.
  16. rbbeers

Well... to 'clarify' the slide-to-frame and barrel-to-slide 'lock ups', let's examine them in a bit more detail.

In battery, the RSA forces the slide assembly forward in the frame, binding the front barrel locking lug (arrow 1) against the slide lock (arrow 2), the barrel muzzle against the bottom of the front cutout of the slide (arrow 3), and the rear of the barrel hood 'up and back' against the slide above the breech face (arrow 4). The upward movement of the barrel hood is 'stopped' when the front 'step' of the barrel hood (arrow 7a, post #18) contacts the underside of the slide (arrow 7, post #18).

Barrel locking lugs in slide - arrow 1.jpg Slide lock and locking block - arrow 2.jpg
    Slide assembly nose - arrow 3.jpg Barrel hood in slide - arrow 4.jpg

At this point, typically, with the exception of precision 'handcrafted' custom pistols, the rear locking lug (arrow 5) typically 'floats' a few thousandths of an inch above the locking block (arrow 6). (This may be confirmed by pushing down on the barrel hood tab when the slide is in battery. With 'drop-in' barrels, the barrel hood typically 'depresses' about 0.005".)

Barrel locking lugs in slide - arrow 5.jpg Slide lock and locking block - arrow 6.jpg

When a cartridge is discharged, the primer pressure forces the primer cup rearward and the barrel forward, binding (locking) the front of the barrel hood against the forward edge of the ejection port in the slide (arrow 7). As the propellant burns, since the chamber is sealed by the case and the barrel is sealed by the bullet, the chamber/barrel pressure forces the case rearward (reseating the primer cup) and continues to force the barrel forward, maintaining the slide-barrel 'lock' until the bullet exits the muzzle.

Barrel hood in slide - arrow 7.jpg

When the bullet exits the muzzle (the slide assembly has moved rearward about 0.030"), the pressure drops, 'unlocking' the barrel from the slide, allowing the rear locking lug (arrow 5) to drop against the locking block (arrow 6). After the slide assembly moves rearward about 0.080", the rear barrel lug drops off the 'flat' of the locking block (arrow 6). Then, after the slide assembly moves rearward about 0.110", the rear of the front locking lug (arrow 8) engages the front ramp of the locking block (arrow 9), ensuring that the barrel properly 'drops and tilts' to provide the necessary clearance for the slide cycle.

Barrel locking lugs in slide - arrow 8.jpg Slide lock and locking block - arrows 9 & 11.jpg

When the RSA returns the slide to battery, the front of the rear locking lug (arrow 10) engages the rear ramp of the locking block (arrow 11) and 'lifts' the barrel hood 'up' into the slide. The RSA then pushes the front barrel locking lug into the slide lock, the barrel muzzle 'down' in the front cutout, the barrel hood 'step' against the underside of the slide, and the barrel hood tab 'up and back' against the slide above the breech face (refer to paragraph 2, above).

Barrel locking lugs in slide - arrow 10.jpg Slide lock and locking block - arrows 9 & 11.jpg

Now the pistol is ready to discharge another cartridge.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    calista, Peepaw, RevV and 2 others like this.
  17. Southlake

Thanks Bob! Good stuff! :)

rbbeers likes this.
  18. rbbeers

I just noticed an omission in paragraph 2 of post #16.

In battery, the upward movement of the barrel hood is 'stopped' when the front 'step' of the barrel hood (arrow 7a) contacts the underside of the slide (arrow 7).

Barrel locking lugs side view - arrow 7a.jpg Barrel hood in slide - arrow 7.jpg

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Bob

Peepaw, Gus54 and Southlake like this.
  19. PW may be going to run a few boxes through my comp guns and whatever is around. Drop me a message I can call you back. Late morning would be good for me. If not next time. Dave

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2018
  20. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Dave do you really want everybody on the forum to see your contact number or do you want me to hide it from public view and send it to Jim