Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gun Nut
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting 200 rounds through my Glock on a typical firing session, it's VERY hot to the touch. Normally, I try to avoid putting it back into the range bag right away, but sometimes I don't have the time to let the gun cool off.

I put the gun in the bag and put the bag in my car's trunk, sitting in the 100 degree Texas heat. Then, I worry for a few hours until I can get home.

Do any of you have this same concern that your car is going to be set on fire?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never had a problem with pistols. My AR gets HOTTT at times so I try to leave the case open on the back seat and head right home. Most cases now days are heat resistant....I've only seen one case melted and it was a little older. This may happen all the time.....but I've only seen it once.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nope I have shot mine i 115 Arizona Sun and shot 400+ rounds through it and put it away and I have had no problems

·
Registered
304 Posts
No issues with any of my handguns... at the outdoor range I use, they require us to police our own brass (I assume that's common?)... so when I'm finished - action open, tidy up my bench, grab a push broom, sweep, get small broom and dust pan. Usually that's enough time for a cool down. I also noticed when I switched from Hoppes to Weapon Shield, my guns run WAY cooler... so lubricant can be a factor with how hot your weapon runs. Something to consider.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I usually shoot 2 or 3 different guns while at the range so it has never been a problem for me. First one I shoot the most so it has plenty of time to cool down, and the last one I just run 25 or so rounds thru it so it is never very hot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm no physicist but I'm very doubtful that a handgun barrel could ever get hot enough to start a fire. Melt plastic cases, yes but ignite, no.

[edit] you could try holding a piece of paper to your barrel when it's hot and see if it ignites, then you'll know for sure.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
My pistols never get hot enough for me to worry about. Now my AR, I usually let it sit out long enough that when I spit on the barrel it stops sizzling and disappearing from evap lol.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My pistols never get hot enough for me to worry about. Now my AR, I usually let it sit out long enough that when I spit on the barrel it stops sizzling and disappearing from evap lol.
+1 here. Rifles yes, handguns no.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,592 Posts
I like to wrap real hot guns in a dish towel when I put them in the bag. The cotton holds up to heat. I worry that I would melt the nylon in my bag.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Danzig said:
I like to wrap real hot guns in a dish towel when I put them in the bag. The cotton holds up to heat. I worry that I would melt the nylon in my bag.
Not a bad idea...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts