Glock Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using their Hornady LNL AP press for bumping the shoulder back:

I seem to see a problem with getting a die down low enough to bump the shoulders back. Anybody have any tricks how to do it?
Seems the shell plates might be to thick to allow the resizing die to come down far enough to bump the shoulder back.

Normally, i usually load ALL my rifle cases on my Redding single stage press. But that is very time consuming doing 223`s.
I never had a problem with cases going into the chamber and closing the bolt as long as i use a single stage press. (shoulder bump .002)

Are the new Dillon XL750`s able to bump cases back with extra room for bumping if needed?
I`ve never owned a Dillon press, so i dont know if this is an issue with ALL brands of progressive presses, or just Hornady`s LNL AP presses.
Or, maybe i have a Hornady LNL AP press shell plate that might be out of spec for thickness, that wont allow bumping cases back (?????)

I have tried a few different brands of dies. The Hornady die gets me the closest, but not enough.
I even put the die down so deep that you can see the sub-plate begin to flex... and that is not good for the press at all!
If the sub-plate is being forced, this can change OAL of your loads all over the place. Especially after station one is empty, your last 4 rounds OAL will be taller.

I dunno... i`m really starting to think this Hornady stuff isnt really that good of quality lately. This latest press is less than a year old, its been a finicky bastard child.

·
Grumpy Old Man
5,058 Posts
Apparently this is a common fault with Redding dies and the Hornady LNL AP press! You need a #16 shell holder to solve the problem

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently this is a common fault with Redding dies and the Hornady LNL AP press! You need a #16 shell holder to solve the problem
I have tried Redding, RCBS, Hornady dies, the Hornady dies come the closest, but still wont allow enough case bump. I do have the #16 shell plate on the press.

·
Registered
Fox Pepper Spray and....................
586 Posts
I have reloaded 556 on my LNL and have not had any problems yet with chambering rounds

Reactions: Old Bloke

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yes that's the only 223/556 I own at this time.
And that`s likely why you aren`t having chambering issues like a bolt action gun would.
Tolerance's are usually more important to a bolt style gun. Especially the ones with very tight target chamber tolerance's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts