Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a box of 50 Hornady Critical Duty rounds .40 S&W 175gr for EDC and duty carry. Anybody have experience with these or opinions? They are supposed to be one of the top rate rounds out there. Just thought I would ask for ya'lls input.
Btw the box of 50 was only 29 bucks.

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Excellent round... have carried both Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense in my EDC

with complete confidence.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've used Hornady Critical Defense 115gr 9mm. I like it. i know that doesn't answer your question, but I hope it helps. Sounds like you got a great deal. I usually buy 25 rounds for $15-$20.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I carried the Critical Defense up until today because the rounds are getting old so it's time to go shoot em off.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
They're the leading edge in jacket technology. And they probably didn't get as much attention as they deserve, everyone went gaga over the ZMax. I've been meaning to get some in .45 ACP, but I'm pretty tapped out for cash. Gotta shoot up some of my stock too.

The jacketing varies in thickness to really lock the core in, no matter what they hit they should stay mostly intact.

Attachments

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
I think they would be great for carry on duty. They are sort of marketed toward LWOs because of their ability to retain weight and shape through barriers such as windshields and such. After seeing some tests on the ammo, I'd say it is pretty good stuff. I personally carry Critical DEfense in both .357 magnum and in .40 S&W, but I have considered getting some of this stuff. I like to buy a box of hollow points every now and then to stock up.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That's a good video. His box of ammunition didn't look quite like mine though. Mine says for law enforcement only. I wonder if that's because it's a 50 rd box?
It's the same round as the one in the video...they only make one.

I watched that video and was surprised and disappointed by the result, especially when compared to his result with Critical Defense.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOV3MJI1FU&list=PLE8F6382529FB5C51&index=16&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

One round of each is not a definitive test, but I would want to see many more, and more successful, tests of Critical Duty before I dumped my Critical Defense for it.

·
Banned
767 Posts
If youre LEO, check out the Winchester Ranger.... they mushroom out like the Black Talons used to....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts