Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Certified Glock Armorer
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an idea while cleaning my guns yesterday. It came to me while putting my G42 back in my MIC holster. It was a little stiff and being difficult so I put a little liquid Frog Lube on a towel and wiped the inside down. It then slipped on like a charm while still maintaining retention. Then I did a light coat on the inside of the Kydex of my Alien and it work like a charm too. Hopefully this will translate to less scuffing and scratching, but we shall see.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What kind of scratches are you getting?

I have leather and kydex holsters and I abuse my Glocks and don't have scratches. I took a screwdriver to the slide to show others the slide is tough. I've even used my slide to clear broken glass from a window.

My Glock 31 has even hit asphalt a few times. They're tough. My pretty guns are safe queens and don't get carried.

·
Certified Glock Armorer
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had any myself just have heard stories on this site so an ounce of prevention really for me

·
Registered
48 Posts
Almost all kydex holster manufacturers recommend coating the inside of the holster with a thin coat of silicone upon purchase and occasionally as needed over lifetime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be afraid that it would attract lint and dust, which would in turn scratch and scuff.

Every couple of days I wipe out the inside of my holster with a soft rag.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
There's something about a Glock slide with wear on it that just makes it look that much better.

But if one wants to minimize that wear, I can understand that too.

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
My EDC Glock is a tool, if it gets holster scuffs, I don't care. It just needs to go bang when I pull the trigger.

I agree 100%. It's a Glock. Scratches = character. Still some good prevention advice given already. I use frog lube. So I will use frog lube wipes inside kydex holsters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kydex Leather Lined Holsters

Howdy:

Not a mark/scratch on my G19 Gen 4 because I use a Garrett Industries (http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-gt/) leather lined Kydex holster. Leather holsters I use RichieGun Leather holsters (http://www.ritchieholsters.com/) and use dress gun belts made by http://www.abetterbeltusa.com/. Sounds like this post is a advertisement for the above but I learned about the above via other posts.

I would recommend viewing their websites and making your own decisions! One gets what's paid for thus I'd rather purchase quality products that LAST rather buying equipment that doesn't meet my criterion.

Tough Guy Levi
Orange, CA
NRA Life 1967
NRA Pistol Inst/RSO

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would recommend viewing their websites and making your own decisions! One gets what's paid for thus I'd rather purchase quality products that LAST rather buying equipment that doesn't meet my criterion.

Well said, my father always told me that good stuffs not cheap and cheap stuffs not good!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
First, shame on me for answering this way. I'm going to give an explanation along with my 'yup'.

Two months ago, I traded my 2 Glocks (G22 and G42) for a Kimber Super Carry Pro. Now, this, is a nice gun (not that Glocks aren't, mind you). It's just pretty, and it's a tack driver too. Kimbers are well known for their accuracy and close tolerances. It was a carry conceal weapon with a bobbed tail and Kimber's famous 'carry-melt' treatment. Again, I say it was just so pretty. Well, it was TOO pretty. I noticed a small scratch on the slide from my holster. It was small enough that only I could see it, but I COULD see it. And I kept looking for more. It would get dusty from every day carry, and I would pull it from the holster in the evening and wipe it down every night (again looking it over for more scratches, and looking at THE scratch to see if it was any bigger). I NEVER did this with my Glocks that I recall.

So, last week, I decided enough was enough. If I feel the need to baby and worry about something that I carry pretty much every waking minute, then I don't need to carry it. I didn't have the money to go out and buy Glocks to carry and let the Kimber be a safe resident, so guess what I did? Yep...I traded it for a Gen 4 G21 and a G42. I decided to stay with a .45 ACP, because I liked the idea of carrying that, and I got the .380 for dress up carry, if need be.

Did I take a bath? I sure did. To the tune of about $300. But, I've got 2 solid workhorse guns that I'm not gonna blow snot and tears over if I drop them on concrete either. The one good thing about it--I talked the shop into putting night sights on both guns for me in the trade. Made me feel a little better.

So there you have it. If you're going to worry about scratching it up (especially if it's a Glock which is VERY hard to scratch up), you might want to look to something cheaper that your not going to worry about, because it's gonna happen. Even with a Glock...it just won't be as noticeable.

Last thing--I carry in a horsehide/kydex hybrid IWB holster, and haven't noticed any scratches as of yet (it's really comfortable, too). Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the website of the guy that makes my holster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a kydex holster for my new Glock 30 gen4 ,the holster scratched the slide while checking it out.I've tried everything from oil to turtle wax.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
In theory a kydex holster will scratch your gun the least as a properly made one only contacts the gun at a few points; but even then it is impossible not to rub the gun against the holster body when holstering/drawing. The various debris that gets into the holster from carrying it will eventually scratch the slide, but as everyone knows the easiest way to keep your gun pristine is to leave it in the safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts