Votes: 37 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Investigate insurance!
It could save your a$$ if involved in a self defense situation.
Thanks. I have homeowners insurance, not sure whether it would cover a situation like this. My home situation is a bit unusual in that I live in a live / work artist loft located in a part of Oakland called "Jingletown". It's a beautiful100 year old buiding. A lof of my neighbors are not just neighbors, they are also friends.

In recent years we have had situations where people invitedly made their way into the building, and then somehow got access to one of the units where they then threatened the tenant(s). We also had situations of thieves entering the building and stealing packages left in the lobby by UPS and other delivery services. Not uncommon in Oakland. I keep telling people to never buzz the door open for just anyone and never prop the door open and keep the unit door closed. Common sense. The neighborhood is not terrible, it's industrial, but there is a sizeable homeless population, some of them dealing with serious mental issues. There are also opportunists, and gangs.

·
Legitimate Combatant
7,024 Posts
Thanks. I have homeowners insurance, not sure whether it would cover a situation like this. My home situation is a bit unusual in that I live in a live / work artist loft located in a part of Oakland called "Jingletown". It's a beautiful100 year old buiding. A lof of my neighbors are not just neighbors, they are also friends.

In recent years we have had situations where people invitedly made their way into the building, and then somehow got access to one of the units where they then threatened the tenant(s). We also had situations of thieves entering the building and stealing packages left in the lobby by UPS and other delivery services. Not uncommon in Oakland. I keep telling people to never buzz the door open for just anyone and never prop the door open and keep the unit door closed. Common sense. The neighborhood is not terrible, it's industrial, but there is a sizeable homeless population, some of them dealing with serious mental issues. There are also opportunists, and gangs.
I am sure homeowners covers nothing.
USCCA would be something to investigate.
There are other insurance companies too!

·
Super Moderator
64,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

·
Registered
596 Posts
Kudos to all those involved; except the perp. Sounds like the folks at the school and the local PD had a plan in place and handled the situation quite well.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not a homeowner incident; another crazy and kids incident. Fortunately nobody was hurt except the crazy who the police whacked (Good Riddance) and another example of good work from both the civilians, who seem to have prepared quite well for this possibility, and local PD. A really excellent response time and reaction from the PD.
This type of widespread, dangerous, and increasing craziness is one reason for the 2nd Amendment. Long ago when something like this threatened a community the civilian militia would work with and back up the official law folks if there were any; if not they'd just try and handle things themselves.
Not as a vigilante mob, but as a trained and organized, civilian militia.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Registered
596 Posts
I used to know a guy that bred and trained pit bulls. They were trained to let you into the yard and even the house or garage but would stop you when you tried to leave. He said he trained them that way because if somebody broke into his place he wanted to know who they were.
He was very selective in his breeding, didn't raise a lot of dogs, only sold them in pairs, and was also very picky about who he sold them to. Unless a buyer agreed to get trained on how to work with the dogs they had no chance of getting a pair.
Despite half of the buyers failing the training or being rejected for some other reason, or maybe because of this, he had a waiting list of potential buyers.
The first and only time somebody did break into his garage the training worked perfectly. He came home after being gone all day and found a completely terrified crook cornered in the garage by the dogs. He said he'd never seen somebody so happy to be turned over to the cops. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
You're probably right, my homeowners insurance would not cover.

The USCCA would be a good and affordable option, I'll look into it.
Just make sure you don`t give USCCA your email address. They will FLOOD your INBOX with emails.
I finally ended up having to call them directly to stop it. Their unsubscribe link doesn`t stop their emails.
I would get flooded with tons of emails a day from them, begging me for more money, and trying to sell me something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Best insurance is probably to be properly trained, which I fully intend to do. Including connecting with the Oakland Police Department, which we have done before.
Get the insurance from USCCA, it can save you from financial ruination. Being properly trained is great, and it will add to any defense of your actions, in court.

But training and a court defense are very different things.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This seems like a solid case for valid use of deadly force, even in California.

Anyone disagree?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
46,292 Posts
Even the most solid use of force cases can get you charged if not convicted in certain locales.
After Zimmerman and Rittenhouse the prosecutors in some jurisdictions are more lynch mobs than arbiters of the law.
I could see a prosecutor saying the victim shouldn’t have confronted the 2, he had a duty to retreat and call 911. He put himself in a position only because he was armed. A wannabe vigilante.
The latest mantra of the left is you can’t value property over someone’s life. 🙄

·
Registered
62 Posts
Even the most solid use of force cases can get you charged if not convicted in certain locales.
After Zimmerman and Rittenhouse the prosecutors in some jurisdictions are more lynch mobs than arbiters of the law.
I could see a prosecutor saying the victim shouldn’t have confronted the 2, he had a duty to retreat and call 911. He put himself in a position only because he was armed. A wannabe vigilante.
The latest mantra of the left is you can’t value property over someone’s life. 🙄
Yeah, but this wasn't about property. This was about protecting himself from severe bodily harm. You have to break this down:

1. Guy sees a stranger inside his vehicle and another guy around his vehicle.
2. Guy asks 'hey what are you doing?'
3. Perps respond by pepper spraying him and possibly firing a gun
4. Guy pulls guns for which he had legal CCW permit and opens fire
5. Perps flee

I mean, even under California law this seems a clean cut situation where you can use lethal force for self defense.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
46,292 Posts
Yeah, but this wasn't about property. This was about protecting himself from severe bodily harm. You have to break this down:

1. Guy sees a stranger inside his vehicle and another guy around his vehicle.
2. Guy asks 'hey what are you doing?'
3. Perps respond by pepper spraying him and possibly firing a gun
4. Guy pulls guns for which he had legal CCW permit and opens fire
5. Perps flee

I mean, even under California law this seems a clean cut situation where you can use lethal force for self defense.
I’m just being a devil’s advocate. I agree 100% he shouldn’t be charged but the argument can be made he knew it was his vehicle and he knew they were thieves. He should have not confronted them and called police.
Some states have duty to retreat laws were a person has to run and hide in their own home if there’s a break in and could only use deadly force because they had no other avenue of escape.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts