• Yes

Votes: 44 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 196 Posts

·
Banned
922 Posts
I was watching a training video and thats what the trainer said. Next time I see my Psych I ask them.
Humans are one of the apex predatory species on Earth. We didn't reach this precarious position due to some genetic trait or instinctive desire to be peaceful and or harmless.
We're the descendants of ancestors that were faster, quicker, more able to adapt, more ruthless and in some instances no doubt just luckier than other humans. Survivors.
Over time and in varying degrees and according to different social, tribal,and religious rules and circumstances we've become conditioned to not kill but it's not a natural human trait.
While it is true that many humans have to be reconditioned/trained to overcome this once they do they can become quite efficient at killing. Sometimes too efficient.
Like John Prine sang, "Some humans ain't human".
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would have to say this was justifiable in the video below. But in the state of NYS, you would have been arrested for protecting yourself.
Now, which brings a question to my mind, being that i live in NYS "duty to retreat"... i am disabled, i can`t retreat... so i`ll have to take my chances with the jury.

As far as i`m concerned, this homeowner in this video had every right to smoke every one of those parasites.

What is NYS? Sounds like a terrible place. I bet the politicians have some sort of Castle Doctrine for themselves. I have lived in places where you could not defend yourself unless the perps were inside your house. In SC where I used to live it was legal to shoot through a door or window if someone unwelcome was trying to enter through it. As someone, Dr Tramp I believe, said above one must know the laws where one is. That said I would rather be in legal trouble than dead.

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
What is NYS? Sounds like a terrible place. I bet the politicians have some sort of Castle Doctrine for themselves. I have lived in places where you could not defend yourself unless the perps were inside your house. In SC where I used to live it was legal to shoot through a door or window if someone unwelcome was trying to enter through it. As someone, Dr Tramp I believe, said above one must know the laws where one is. That said I would rather be in legal trouble than dead.
NYS means New York State. And yes, a very horrible place, if you like freedom.

·
Banned
922 Posts
The politicians and wealthy in NYS (New York State?) and other places can afford to live away from high crime areas and hire private security so castle doctrines mean less to them than citizens of average and lower income levels.
Consequently when these same wealthy folks and politicians push for more restrictions on firearms they do so with the knowledge that these restrictions will have little or no affect on them and their lifestyles; which, curiously, is pretty much the same way criminals regard firearm laws and regulations.
I once had an opportunity to sit down and talk with then Colorado Representative Ben Nighthorse Campbell. I was living and working in Europe at the time but back in the States for business.
Among other things we discussed the differences in laws and lifestyles between Europe and the US including firearms. Ben told me that a few months earlier he and several other politicians and heads of law enforcement agencies had met and talked with the national and state heads of the Crips and the Bloods.
He said he had asked them what if any affect more firearm laws had on them and they responded with an almost humorous attitude and said that while it did make firearms more expensive it didn't make them any more difficult to acquire and they actually rather approved of more restrictive firearms laws and regulation because they made it more difficult for regular citizens to arm and defend themselves.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

·
Super Moderator
66,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Or you could be in WA state like me. Concealed carry insurance is illegal, I cannot shoot someone over property, & if I do use legal deadly force. I’ll be civilly screwed at the very least. We have no castle doctrine or stand your ground laws here.
The words out of your mouth will save or convict you. Someone breaks in you're in fear of your life! You don't know if the criminal us after property or is there to kill you; the two often go hand in hand. You used necessary force to end the threat, plain and simple. My home was also WA for most of my life and the on going absurdity there resulted in relocating my family to a free state (Oklahoma).

·
Premium Member
14,802 Posts
The words out of your mouth will save or convict you. Someone breaks in you're in fear of your life! You don't know if the criminal us after property or is there to kill you; the two often go hand in hand. You used necessary force to end the threat, plain and simple. My home was also WA for most of my life and the on going absurdity there resulted in relocating my family to a free state (Oklahoma).
I appreciate the reply. I worked in the system for years. I know what you say “Can be used against you in a court of law. I also know that what you say to the police directly after, cannot be used to defend you. My family has an attorney on retainer. No offense to any Leo’s on this forum. If I’m being questioned by the police in that situation. It would be with my attorney present.

·
Banned
922 Posts
That's a tricky one, especially in the State of Californication. Like the legal analyst pointed out the people were robbing the old guy and had assaulted him but they were running away when he shot the woman. I don't think her being pregnant is relevant one way or the other but it sounds like some folks are already making a big deal of it.
Speaking openly and publicly about it is definitely a bad idea though. I hope the old dude can afford a good lawyer.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
48,578 Posts
That's a tricky one, especially in the State of Californication. Like the legal analyst pointed out the people were robbing the old guy and had assaulted him but they were running away when he shot the woman. I don't think her being pregnant is relevant one way or the other but it sounds like some folks are already making a big deal of it.
Speaking openly and publicly about it is definitely a bad idea though. I hope the old dude can afford a good lawyer.
This was before the influx of activist liberal DAs and lawlessness of the last number of years.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
48,578 Posts
No charges for elderly homeowner who fatally shot burglar
Gus Adams, 26, and Andrea Miller, 28, broke into a man's home in Long Beach, police say. Miller, who had claimed she was pregnant but was not, was fatally shot by the homeowner, who won't face any charges.

Gus Adams, 26, and Andrea Miller, 28, broke into a man’s home in Long Beach, police say. Miller, who had claimed she was pregnant but was not, was fatally shot by the homeowner, who won’t face any charges.
(Ruben Vives / Los Angeles Times)
BY MATT HAMILTONSTAFF WRITER
JAN. 26, 2015 9:05 PM PT

No charges will be filed against an 80-year-old man who fatally shot a woman who was burglarizing his Long Beach home, prosecutors said Monday.
On July 22, Thomas Greer fired two bullets into the back of Andrea Miller, 28, even after she begged him not to shoot and claimed she was pregnant.
Prosecutors say Miller and her suspected accomplice, 26-year-old Gus Adams, had assaulted Greer before prying open a safe and stealing $5,000.
Greer, who was robbed on two other occasions, “held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury,” wrote Los Angeles County Deputy Dist. Atty. Janet Moore, explaining the office’s decision not to charge him.
“Greer exercised his legal and legitimate right of self-defense when he shot and killed Andrea Miller,” Moore wrote.
Authorities claim Ruby Adams served as a lookout while her son, Gus, and Miller allegedly broke into Greer’s home in the 3900 block of Country Club Drive.
Greer picked up a gun from his bedroom and fired at the pair as they fled from his home office, prosecutors said. After Miller was struck, she fell once near his garage, then fell again in an alley near the home.
Greer dragged Miller’s body into his garage in an attempt to lure her accomplice, authorities said. Once Gus Adams returned, prosecutors allege he stole Greer’s gun and phone before hopping into a getaway car driven by his mother.
Gus Adams was charged with five felony counts in connection to the Bixby Knolls break-in: murder, grand theft of a firearm, possession of a firearm by a felon, and first-degree robbery and burglary.
His mother was charged with first-degree residential burglary and first-degree residential robbery.

21 - 40 of 196 Posts